There are 911 users in the forums

DeMeco Ryans, Texans HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by thl408:
Can't wait to see what Ryans has in store for the defense. Neither Koceruk or Oden have DC experience so Ryan won't have any of that type of experience to lean on. I'm fine with more of the same when it comes to the scheme.

See Frank Bush above. He has some DC experience and a LONG coaching history, especially with the Shanahan's. He worked for Mike in Denver for nearly a decade and then went to Houston under Kubiak and worked with Kyle and Saleh on the staff there and was DC while Ryans played there. He has nearly two decades worth of experience coaching LB's specifically.
The more I learn about Frank Bush, the more I think he'd be a great hire.
We are planning to get two more 3rd round comp picks after a few years of him as DC.

He is going to be a good one IMO.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erguy:
We are planning to get two more 3rd round comp picks after a few years of him as DC.

He is going to be a good one IMO.

Great point. At one point Bill Walsh had a Head coaching lineage that spread to half of the NFL. Looks like Kyle is on his way there.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Great point. At one point Bill Walsh had a Head coaching lineage that spread to half of the NFL. Looks like Kyle is on his way there.

There are still guys like Andy reid who can trace their roots at least indirectly to Walsh. Reid coached for Holmgren who coached for Walsh.
Demeco is a former MLB and a really good one. And no position has a better understanding of a defense than the MLB who is the QB of that side of the football. Intelligent MLB like Demeco, perhaps in a future Luke Kuechly or Pat Willis could be excellent DC.
On the other hand, guys like Kocurek who are focused on the trenches may not be the best calling plays as they don't have the full picture of a defense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Giedi:

There are still guys like Andy reid who can trace their roots at least indirectly to Walsh. Reid coached for Holmgren who coached for Walsh.

Agree, and I'll just add that I view Kyle as in the Bill Walsh lineage. He got beat by Fat Andy, another Bill Walsh lineage coach. (Kyle having his Walsh coaching connections through his father Mike (and also Kubiak), who was an OC (Kubiak coached) for George Seifert who coached with Walsh for a decade.)
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Demeco is a former MLB and a really good one. And no position has a better understanding of a defense than the MLB who is the QB of that side of the football. Intelligent MLB like Demeco, perhaps in a future Luke Kuechly or Pat Willis could be excellent DC.
On the other hand, guys like Kocurek who are focused on the trenches may not be the best calling plays as they don't have the full picture of a defense.

Disagree. I think a Defensive Coordinator with defensive back experience would be better suited to be DC in this day and age -- because it's such a pass happy NFL league. Having said that, I still like Demeco, because I think he's smart enough to know it's a pass happy league and will (hopefully) invest and pay appropriate attention to the nickel pass defense and pass rush -- the way a defensive back kind of coach would. Once Saleh started honing in on the pass rush and bolstering the nickel defense (for example: adjusting his defensive schemes by adding the Wide 9 adjustment) he became a viable head coaching candidate.

Don't forget SAMURAI MIKE is known as the Greatest D's MLB, and he sucked as a coach..

Not only was a very good linebacker but he wasn't the most athletic at his position but very smart. That's the kind of former player coach you want. Someone who couldn't rely on pure athleticism.

I think he's gonna do great. Really sucks to lose both Lafleur's tho.
Originally posted by 9moon:

Don't forget SAMURAI MIKE is known as the Greatest D's MLB, and he sucked as a coach..

He sucked as a HC. He was a great LB coach.

Originally posted by Niners99:

GREAT ???

why because he coached Ray Lewis who was already a HOFer.. or because he did a great job telling Takeo Spikes that " i got nothin but love for you " when Spikes was shouting back at him..

Samurai was graded 3 by our very own ILB (Derek Smith) and even said that he was being NICE about it...
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

I heard he sucked as a High School HC too. Sorry no link.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think Singletary just had terrible ideas on how to run a football team. It was pure 1980s, we are tougher than you, football. Too much Mike Ditka, not enough Bill Walsh.

Singletary's biggest problem was that he did not realize how much more gifted he was as a player. He was always able to beat the opponent on physical superiority even when he did not use the best technique. He did not realize 99% of players had nothing close to his physical package. Consequently he did not recognize the need for superior technical coaching and scheme.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think Singletary just had terrible ideas on how to run a football team. It was pure 1980s, we are tougher than you, football. Too much Mike Ditka, not enough Bill Walsh.

Singletary's biggest problem was that he did not realize how much more gifted he was as a player. He was always able to beat the opponent on physical superiority even when he did not use the best technique. He did not realize 99% of players had nothing close to his physical package. Consequently he did not recognize the need for superior technical coaching and scheme.

Unfair. Mooning your players in a locker room is what we call a one gap scheme.
IMMA keep hammering the, "hire Patrick Willis" as LB Coach drum til I die
Share 49ersWebzone