Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
A mobile QB like Trey isn't going to run a lot in Kyle's system. My guess is he'll be used more as a decoy so Mostert and the other backs can get yards a little easier. The defense can't really come up to stop the run as long as the ball is in the QBs hands. At the same time they can't lay back because he can tuck it and run. They're kind of stuck in no man's land. If Trey makes 3 or 4 runs a game and picks up a couple of 1st downs, then his value will be recognized. That's assuming he can run the passing part effectively. We'll see.

I know a lot of people don't think Montana was a mobile QB because he was so beat up in his last few years but he averaged 3.9 yards a carry. In his early career he was very mobile and often pulled the ball down and ran for first downs.

Go watch 2012 Redskins film.

I think you're overblowing what our offense would look like if we're relying on the Redskins. That was also during the time when the zone-read was becoming a fad in the league - I mean, it led to Chip Kelly being in Philly for 2013,14 and 15 and then with us, then out of the league.

It's well known that the Shanahan's liked Kirk Cousins a lot more(and they were right on that one) and weren't running the offense they really wanted to run.

I'm not saying we won't utlize zone-read. But I doubt it's going to be a heavy-dose of actual QB runs. We'll have a lot of designed runs that use the QB as a decoy, only. There won't actually be any reading done by the QB on a number of those plays. They'll use them(actual zone-reads) from time to time to keep the defense honest, but I doubt you're going to see Trey run over 100 times like RGIII.

Trey's running is an add-on, not a central point.

Not a chance Trey won't be doing some real reads on some of those designed runs, especially the inverted veer ones, because he was so dominant in college at that.

That said, yeah, Trey will run the whole offense. But near the 50 yard line and in the red zone, we will see a great deal of these plays.

Did you not read the post?

I'm saying he won't have over 100 rushing attempts like RGIII did in Washington because RGIII had 120 rushing attempts in his rookie year. You think Kyle's going to run Trey almost 8 times a game?

I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Ok, it just seemed by the wording that you were challenging what I was saying.

Yeah, I was just elaborating on what you said, with particular emphasis on the fact that Shanahan will still want to take advantage of what Trey is already good at. In addition, I believe he'll utilize those fake QB powers he ran at NDSU in the red zone.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Who the f**k is tyler menting? I swear anyone with an internet connection and a laptop can become a football expert.

Who cares who he is? The point is to consider his point for why Trey opens up so much in an already dangerous offense.
Originally posted by ritz126:
i had the same prediction in the draft thread

Lombardi did as well and many call him a Lance hater

millions had the same prediction

Meh, Lombardi hedged his analysis and even then didn't explain as thoroughly why the pick had to be Lance within the context of Kyle's scheme.

This guy even had been on the JaMychal Hasty bandwagon when he was drafted as UDFA and predicted he'd win a roster spot back when everyone was all but sure Gallman would get the shot.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Why would we want trey to be dak? He's not even top 10

Allen
Wilson
Watson
Brady
Mahommes
Burrow
Herbert
Stafford
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Tannahill

All better. And Brees and rivers retired. They're better too.

Lol no. Dak is better than burrow, herb, roofles, tannehill, Stafford, Watson isn't even playing. Dak is a borderline top 5 QB. It sucks to admit bc I hate the cowboys but only a biased idiot could watch Dak over these past few years and say "meh"

People said the same thing about Romo. Cowboys qbs get overvalued. He's is not a top 5 qb. No way. Sorry. And if people are OK with trey being a borderline top 5 qb, so be it. Not me.

Bro top 5 is almost guaranteed to be Hall of Fame. The odds of getting a Hall of Fame QB are astronomically low. I'll be happy with a few Pro Bowl appearances.

Hes not top 5 that's my point. If you're telling me that there are 5, 6, or 7 better qbs than Trey in 5 years, i'll be pissed.

I get it, but I'd be quite pleased if he was 10th. That's good enough.

Seriously. Our fans, man...
Originally posted by RasSuar:
Meh, Lombardi hedged his analysis and even then didn't explain as thoroughly why the pick had to be Lance within the context of Kyle's scheme.

This guy even had been on the JaMychal Hasty bandwagon when he was drafted as UDFA and predicted he'd win a roster spot back when everyone was all but sure Gallman would get the shot.

[ Edited by ritz126 on Sep 10, 2021 at 12:25 PM ]
lol Lance is far more mobile than Dak (even before his tibia snapped in half). He has a much stronger arm. He was a harder worker than Dak in college (Trey spent saturday nights watching film while Dak was getting DUIs).

Btw those praising Dak do realize he lost this game and failed to convert on numerous occasions that would have put his team up for good. Who cares about his stats looking good when he constantly loses the big games. He has gotten worse every year and I'd label him injure prone with his tibia snapping in half and upper arm injury in camp. He won't make it through the season healthy.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Why would we want trey to be dak? He's not even top 10

Allen
Wilson
Watson
Brady
Mahommes
Burrow
Herbert
Stafford
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Tannahill

All better. And Brees and rivers retired. They're better too.

Lol no. Dak is better than burrow, herb, roofles, tannehill, Stafford, Watson isn't even playing. Dak is a borderline top 5 QB. It sucks to admit bc I hate the cowboys but only a biased idiot could watch Dak over these past few years and say "meh"

People said the same thing about Romo. Cowboys qbs get overvalued. He's is not a top 5 qb. No way. Sorry. And if people are OK with trey being a borderline top 5 qb, so be it. Not me.

you have burrow stafford Big Ben and Tannahill above Dak

im not trusting your qb analysis
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
I actually agree with him in the Romo thing. Romo was good, but he was highly overrated in my opinion. Dak is completely different from Romo though.

And if 5 years we're arguing that Trey is a top5 QB, I will be completely happy with that. That would be a godsend. Of course I want Trey to be #1, but the likely hold of him dethroning Mahomes and/or Allen (the next Manning/Brady imo) is slim to none.
Romo i would say was a borderline top 5 qb in his prime. What prevented him from being a top 5 qb was he had a higher int rate than you would like . He wont make the HOF but hes borderline
Originally posted by jimmy3233:
lol Lance is far more mobile than Dak (even before his tibia snapped in half). He has a much stronger arm. He was a harder worker than Dak in college (Trey spent saturday nights watching film while Dak was getting DUIs).

Btw those praising Dak do realize he lost this game and failed to convert on numerous occasions that would have put his team up for good. Who cares about his stats looking good when he constantly loses the big games. He has gotten worse every year and I'd label him injure prone with his tibia snapping in half and upper arm injury in camp. He won't make it through the season healthy.

You dont want to compare college resumes dude Trey doesnt really have one so that is not something you should do to prop up Lance

This is a good metric for those that follow and understand football. Dak has gotten worse every year?

Dak is a damn good QB. He wasn't the reason they lost. Up until his ankle injury he hadn't missed a game.

Stop being a fan for two seconds (and hating everything dallas) and be objective.
You dont want to compare college resumes dude Trey doesnt really have one so that is not something you should do to prop up Lance

This is a good metric for those that follow and understand football. Dak has gotten worse every year?

It's hilarious. Fans can't be objective about their own players, let alone another team's like Dallas.

"I hate to put firm predictions...."

Like I told you, he hedged. Besides, this prediction was a week before the draft based on weeks worth of information.

Do you know when Menting predicted Trey was our guy based on scheme fit alone? He predicted it in March 26th.

His evals were right in line with our own FO and coaching staff. Lombardi is just a reporter who collected data on what ShanaLynch said and then made his guess.
[ Edited by RasSuar on Sep 10, 2021 at 1:04 PM ]

Like I told you, he hedged. Besides, this prediction was a week before the draft based on weeks worth of information.

Do you know when Menting predicted Trey was our guy based on scheme fit alone? He predicted it in March 26th.

His evals were right in line with our own FO and coaching staff. Lombardi is just a reporter who collected data on what ShanaLynch said and then made his guess.

Everyone who watched film did. Thats why i preferred Lance as well. He doesnt just have the highest ceiling but the scheme he ran at NDST was similar to the scheme we ran here.

Im not trying to say anything bad about the guy you are posting i am saying that anyone who did film analysis would agree that Lance was the best fit under our current offensive scheme albeit the most raw player

also of course he hedged hes a reporter he cant say the 49ers are picking Lance he explained why he thought Lance would be the pick

Edit: obviously im discounting wilson i think he was the best fit and wouldve been a superstar here but i thought he had no chance of dropping to us
[ Edited by ritz126 on Sep 10, 2021 at 1:18 PM ]

Everyone who watched film did. Thats why i preferred Lance as well. He doesnt just have the highest ceiling but the scheme he ran at NDST was similar to the scheme we ran here.

Im not trying to say anything bad about the guy you are posting i am saying that anyone who did film analysis would agree that Lance was the best fit under our current offensive scheme albeit the most raw player

also of course he hedged hes a reporter he cant say the 49ers are picking Lance he explained why he thought Lance would be the pick

Edit: obviously im discounting wilson i think he was the best fit and wouldve been a superstar here but i thought he had no chance of dropping to us

Who has a higher ceiling than Lance?
Share 49ersWebzone