There are 251 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Are we going to go through this every week? The draf tis over. We made our pick and the NE made theirs. No amount of drooling, praise, b***hing, second guessing or obsessing is going to change that. In 3 years maybe we can make a legitimate comparison but until then it's silly.
  • NDSU
  • Veteran
Trey Lance is making JimmyG better. Fight me!
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
Is this a Mac Jones thread or a Trey Lance thread? Geez you guys are obsessed.
Let's just hope their evaluations on him were better than they were on the next two picks and the last qb they drafted. I sure don't think he's going to be a great qb but I'm not Kyle Shannahan.

Lol that's rich coming from you
Also no amount of saying your opinion over and over and over again is going to make it any more likely to come true.
No need to jump into the fray of what this topic has devolved into so I'll ask in a different direction. Was anyone else pissed that Lance wasn't out there to start the 4th quarter when we were up by 3 TD's. Isn't that the sort of garbage time that is perfectly suited for a rookie QB to get playing time against starters? Yes, I know they had some odd crap to make it a real game at the end but I feel like that happens no matter whom is at QB.

It's odd that Trey plays a handful of gimmick plays but isn't being put into a position to take over down the road when those changes are clear. It's only one game though so I'm likely over-reacting. Just didn't like the optics of him on the pine when we have a huge lead in the 4th.
Originally posted by NDSU:
Trey Lance is making JimmyG better. Fight me!

I believe there's a lot of truth to this. And for a guy like Garoppolo, who seems to thrive on competition, it could be just what he needs to help him take that next step in progressing as an NFL QB. Yesterday's game showed Garoppolo is responding well and I hope he continues to get better.

As for Lance, I really think getting the live-game experience with plays here and there is really going to help him in getting acclimated to everything at the NFL level. A good way to be eased in while still processing everything including the playbook, D situations/"looks", etc. He stepped right in yesterday and had that nice pass right on the money to Sherfield for a TD. Yes, it was a short pass and Sherfield was wide open but for a 21-year-old who you know was amped up for his first game along with trying to process everything in a live road game, I thought he did a very good job.
  • NDSU
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedGoldSquatch:
No need to jump into the fray of what this topic has devolved into so I'll ask in a different direction. Was anyone else pissed that Lance wasn't out there to start the 4th quarter when we were up by 3 TD's. Isn't that the sort of garbage time that is perfectly suited for a rookie QB to get playing time against starters? Yes, I know they had some odd crap to make it a real game at the end but I feel like that happens no matter whom is at QB.

It's odd that Trey plays a handful of gimmick plays but isn't being put into a position to take over down the road when those changes are clear. It's only one game though so I'm likely over-reacting. Just didn't like the optics of him on the pine when we have a huge lead in the 4th.
KS may still be concerned about the finger injury and letting Lance heal up another week.
I wanted to see more of Lance in the 4th but KS seems to just be messing with the media, fans and other teams heads.
I think he is having a lot of fun doing it, so good on him until we lose.
Is this a Mac Jones thread or a Trey Lance thread? Geez you guys are obsessed.

16 points

Trey needed about a minute worth of snaps for 7.
Originally posted by random49er:
16 points

Trey needed about a minute worth of snaps for 7.

All you'll hear is excuses

But bu bu bu he doesn't have great receivers you see! Don't you see that??
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by cortana49:
I will never believe that we wanted to trade up for a "Jimmy clone", when we already had Jimmy on the team. Makes no sense at all.

But we have some dumb fans that think Twitter changed Kyles mind

I think it was always a choice between, Wilson/Lance depending on the Jets decision.

I wasn't too upset. For one, evidently Kyle was going to put him toward the later part of the 4th but didn't for obvious reasons.

I also think it is worth remembering that it was the first real game this year for everyone, not just Lance. There is probably significant value in having the rest of the team in sync before throwing another big variable (Lance) in. Let Jimmy get everyone settled and playing right, then Trey can focus on managing his game not everyone else's.
[ Edited by Midbay on Sep 13, 2021 at 11:35 AM ]

I wouldn't call it pissed, but I felt there was an opportunity missed. I do wonder if he'd have come out if it wasn't for the doink from Kittle's helmet!
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Nice looking one pass. Three first round picks for Taysom Hill

We could have used that first pick on a cb rather than a linebacker/qb.

And then if Jimmy goes down instead of Verrett, what do we do?

If Jimmy goes down we're f**ked either way. Trey isn't ready to start full time.

Nope, but if Jimmy goes down in the next couple weeks, Trey will be ready around week 10 or 11. It would all then depend on how lucky we get in the mean time.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by CardinalGold:
The "did Kyle really want Trey" thing seemed to come up (again) this morning. I read some people saying Kyle wanted Mac but the org changed its
mind.
What was the source of that? I seemed to catch the end of it this morning, and so I'm wondering who reported what.

Schefter who's typically more right than wrong.

Schefter said we were going to take Mac Jones.

Yes, and he's saying their plans changes after the trade was made. I believe him.

Based on what? Absolute made up b******t and nothing else.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Nice looking one pass. Three first round picks for Taysom Hill

We could have used that first pick on a cb rather than a linebacker/qb.

And then if Jimmy goes down instead of Verrett, what do we do?

If Jimmy goes down we're f**ked either way. Trey isn't ready to start full time.

Nope, but if Jimmy goes down in the next couple weeks, Trey will be ready around week 10 or 11. It would all then depend on how lucky we get in the mean time.

I'm just curious where you get this estimation from? How are you so sure that Trey will be ready in just 5-8 games? I truly am curious because I have zero context to base any kind of estimation for his readiness this year. If someone asked me, "if Trey starts Sunday, how soon until he's really ready to take this team going forward?"
I'd say, "I have no idea."
Share 49ersWebzone