There are 253 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
I believe there's a lot of truth to this. And for a guy like Garoppolo, who seems to thrive on competition, it could be just what he needs to help him take that next step in progressing as an NFL QB. Yesterday's game showed Garoppolo is responding well and I hope he continues to get better.

As for Lance, I really think getting the live-game experience with plays here and there is really going to help him in getting acclimated to everything at the NFL level. A good way to be eased in while still processing everything including the playbook, D situations/"looks", etc. He stepped right in yesterday and had that nice pass right on the money to Sherfield for a TD. Yes, it was a short pass and Sherfield was wide open but for a 21-year-old who you know was amped up for his first game along with trying to process everything in a live road game, I thought he did a very good job.

I love this approach. One only needs to look back in the history of our own franchise to see that Walsh did the same thing in 1980 with Steve DeBerg, who was the established starter and Joe Montana, who was the young backup.

Direct quote from Walsh:

"Joe turned out to be a great player. It took some time...it was a work in progress with Joe. But I was really fortunate in that we had Steve DeBerg, who was playing well. But Steve couldn't move and avoid anybody. It cost us dearly but he could step and throw. We could shift Joe in at certain times and felt we could be successful. Halfway through the 1980 season, he began to start."
Originally posted by CardinalGold:
The "did Kyle really want Trey" thing seemed to come up (again) this morning. I read some people saying Kyle wanted Mac but the org changed its
mind.
What was the source of that? I seemed to catch the end of it this morning, and so I'm wondering who reported what.

Kyle had the final say. He chose Trey and informed Lynch.
The rumors are going to continue until Trey is able to snatch the starting position and balls out.

Unfortunately, it most likely won't happen until next offseason, unless Jimmy gets hurt or plays like complete garbage.

Until then, ignore the outside noise. Media is still butthurt over Shanny playing them like a fiddle leading up to the draft.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Nice looking one pass. Three first round picks for Taysom Hill

We could have used that first pick on a cb rather than a linebacker/qb.

And then if Jimmy goes down instead of Verrett, what do we do?

If Jimmy goes down we're f**ked either way. Trey isn't ready to start full time.

Nope, but if Jimmy goes down in the next couple weeks, Trey will be ready around week 10 or 11. It would all then depend on how lucky we get in the mean time.

I'm just curious where you get this estimation from? How are you so sure that Trey will be ready in just 5-8 games? I truly am curious because I have zero context to base any kind of estimation for his readiness this year. If someone asked me, "if Trey starts Sunday, how soon until he's really ready to take this team going forward?"
I'd say, "I have no idea."

I would base it on Shanahan's past with RGIII. That was a QB that he didn't even feel fit his system, yet was able to not only win games but make the dude look like he belonged in the league. So why WOULDN'T he be able to do at least as much with Trey?
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:

If Jimmy goes down we're f**ked either way. Trey isn't ready to start full time.

Nope, but if Jimmy goes down in the next couple weeks, Trey will be ready around week 10 or 11. It would all then depend on how lucky we get in the mean time.

I'm just curious where you get this estimation from? How are you so sure that Trey will be ready in just 5-8 games? I truly am curious because I have zero context to base any kind of estimation for his readiness this year. If someone asked me, "if Trey starts Sunday, how soon until he's really ready to take this team going forward?"

I would base it on Shanahan's past with RGIII. That was a QB that he didn't even feel fit his system, yet was able to not only win games but make the dude look like he belonged in the league. So why WOULDN'T he be able to do at least as much with Trey?
because every player is different and comparisons never come to fruitation
Yeah I don't buy Kyle being the type of person to have someone change his mind. Especially when it comes to the QB position. If he wanted Mac Jones he would have Mac Jones. Just because he doesn't think Trey is ready doesn't mean he didn't want him. Remember the press conference the day after they traded up to 3 he said he called Jimmy and told him he is still very much in their plans? If the plan was to draft the pro-ready QB in Mac Jones they wouldn't have told Jimmy he is still their starter. Jimmy would have been traded. Probally during the draft. Because Mac is just a younger, cheaper, and Healthier version of Jimmy.
I really like the approach to bring trey slowly along.

Well, my thoughts are that Kyle has spent 4 seasons here installing his system, the way he wants it. While I understand the RGIII comparisons, I don't believe the situations and circumstances are the same. I guess you could say that Kyle is and should be smart enough that if he has to start Trey will cater his game plans around minimalizing what Trey isn't best at, right now.

The concern I have with that, is just what happened with RGIII, is that eventually(most likely in the playoffs) someone will stop you from doing what you're best at and make you do what you're not good at. Kyle has said so himself. So, while I get that he could be good enough for the team to be competitive - I dunno, maybe we're talking two different things.
When I think of as, "ready" I'm thinking ready to take us on a championship run. I have zero context outside of pre-season for knowing if that'll happen. How can we say he'll be ready to cover up weaknesses when strengths are taken away in 5-8 weeks of starting? Seems a little optimistic to me.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
because every player is different and comparisons never come to fruitation

Mmmm… fruitation…
Well, my thoughts are that Kyle has spent 4 seasons here installing his system, the way he wants it. While I understand the RGIII comparisons, I don't believe the situations and circumstances are the same. I guess you could say that Kyle is and should be smart enough that if he has to start Trey will cater his game plans around minimalizing what Trey isn't best at, right now.

The concern I have with that, is just what happened with RGIII, is that eventually(most likely in the playoffs) someone will stop you from doing what you're best at and make you do what you're not good at. Kyle has said so himself. So, while I get that he could be good enough for the team to be competitive - I dunno, maybe we're talking two different things.
When I think of as, "ready" I'm thinking ready to take us on a championship run. I have zero context outside of pre-season for knowing if that'll happen. How can we say he'll be ready to cover up weaknesses when strengths are taken away in 5-8 weeks of starting? Seems a little optimistic to me.

I'll buy that. I'd certainly rather Trey start when Kyle is comfortable with his abilities than being forced too early. But I do still think if he were to start, Kyle would find a way to make him successful.
[ Edited by ronniefreakinlott42 on Sep 14, 2021 at 12:05 PM ]

I'll buy that. I'd certainly rather Trey start when Kyle is comfortable with his abilities than being forced too early. But I do still think if he were to start, Kyle would find a way to make him successful.

Right, I don't think there's an argument by many who would say that Kyle wouldn't find a way to make him successful. The question is, what constitutes the success we're content with?
Is that success a winning season? A playoff berth? Deep playoff run? Super bowl contention?
I believe that with Jimmy G we're super bowl contenders if we can secure the CB spot.
With Trey Lance, I think we're playoff contenders but won't make it far in the playoffs.
Right, I don't think there's an argument by many who would say that Kyle wouldn't find a way to make him successful. The question is, what constitutes the success we're content with?
Is that success a winning season? A playoff berth? Deep playoff run? Super bowl contention?
I believe that with Jimmy G we're super bowl contenders if we can secure the CB spot.
With Trey Lance, I think we're playoff contenders but won't make it far in the playoffs.

Based on the only thing we can go off of if we talking playoffs, I am more then confident that Trey can do what Jimmy did against the Vikings and Packers en route to the SB.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Quarterback is the least concern on this team
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Based on the only thing we can go off of if we talking playoffs, I am more then confident that Trey can do what Jimmy did against the Vikings and Packers en route to the SB.

The packers were allowing 4.7 ypa in 2019 and the vikings were allowing 4.3 ypa in 2019. Who's to say the team won't run into a stout run defense in the playoffs?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Two hopes for Trey. We stop the stupid wildcat gimmick plays and actually put him in with the real offense and that he doesn't get snaps until after the half so Jimmy and the team can develop some consistency and put points on the board before we experiment.
Share 49ersWebzone