There are 211 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
My co-worker whos a Chiefs fan made an interesting point today saying Shanny is using Trey the exact same way Andy Reid sprinkled Mahomes in during Alex Smith's last season in KC.

got me all thinking about like ...

I sincerely doubt your friend was a Chiefs fan before 2018. What Kyle did with Trey in week one, Andy Reid didnt do a single time in Mahomes rookie season.

Yep don't remember him taking one snap until the last meaningless game against the broncos when he started.

He didnt.

Originally posted by YACBros85:
What I saw was Shanahan taking advantage of poor run defenses. You saw Shanahan taking the ball out of JG's hands because you don't think he trusts him enough to win games. We are not the same.

I have said this ad nauseam after the playoffs that year, but I will repeat it again. I dont know if Kyle trusts Jimmy or not.

Kyle DID take the ball out of Jimmy's hands in the playoffs. Was that due to lack of trust? Was that due to him throwing a pick in the Viking game and almost throwing one in the Packer game? Was that due to the opponents run defense? Was it a combination of multiple things? I dont know, you dont know, and no one on this board knows. Kyle knows.

By stating that Kyle took the ball out of his hands, is implying that he didn't trust him. You could word it this way - Kyle relied more on the run over passing in the playoffs (we are a running team after all). When the Packers cut the game to two scores, Kyle went back to the pass. If he had taken the ball out of jimmys hands, he would have stuck with the run and not have let him pass again.

I guess, It comes down to your wording.
What I saw was Shanahan taking advantage of poor run defenses. You saw Shanahan taking the ball out of JG's hands because you don't think he trusts him enough to win games. We are not the same.

I have said this ad nauseam after the playoffs that year, but I will repeat it again. I dont know if Kyle trusts Jimmy or not.

Kyle DID take the ball out of Jimmy's hands in the playoffs. Was that due to lack of trust? Was that due to him throwing a pick in the Viking game and almost throwing one in the Packer game? Was that due to the opponents run defense? Was it a combination of multiple things? I dont know, you dont know, and no one on this board knows. Kyle knows.

He didn't take the ball out of his hands in the super bowl. The offense was averaging 4.0 ypa but refused to stick with the run in the 2nd half. Jimmy threw the ball 31 times in that game.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Right, I don't think there's an argument by many who would say that Kyle wouldn't find a way to make him successful. The question is, what constitutes the success we're content with?
Is that success a winning season? A playoff berth? Deep playoff run? Super bowl contention?
I believe that with Jimmy G we're super bowl contenders if we can secure the CB spot.
With Trey Lance, I think we're playoff contenders but won't make it far in the playoffs.

Based on the only thing we can go off of if we talking playoffs, I am more then confident that Trey can do what Jimmy did against the Vikings and Packers en route to the SB.

The packers were allowing 4.7 ypa in 2019 and the vikings were allowing 4.3 ypa in 2019. Who's to say the team won't run into a stout run defense in the playoffs?

Kind of my point. I don't know what gives JD so much confidence in Jimmy (playoffs wise) to think he makes us SB contenders and Lance would get us eliminated. We all saw what happened during the 2019 playoffs

What in the f**k are you getting so defensive for? Where did I say he took the ball out of Jimmy's hands? So to the original point, you don't think Shanny can take advantage of poor run defenses with Trey at the helm? Is that better worded for you?

No. What I was stating is that there is no guarantee that the team will face 2 consecutive soft run defenses again in the playoffs. Why are you getting so emotional? Calm down, bud. Its not that serious.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Sep 14, 2021 at 6:24 PM ]
Right, I don't think there's an argument by many who would say that Kyle wouldn't find a way to make him successful. The question is, what constitutes the success we're content with?
Is that success a winning season? A playoff berth? Deep playoff run? Super bowl contention?
I believe that with Jimmy G we're super bowl contenders if we can secure the CB spot.
With Trey Lance, I think we're playoff contenders but won't make it far in the playoffs.

Based on the only thing we can go off of if we talking playoffs, I am more then confident that Trey can do what Jimmy did against the Vikings and Packers en route to the SB.

The packers were allowing 4.7 ypa in 2019 and the vikings were allowing 4.3 ypa in 2019. Who's to say the team won't run into a stout run defense in the playoffs?

Kind of my point. I don't know what gives JD so much confidence in Jimmy (playoffs wise) to think he makes us SB contenders and Lance would get us eliminated. We all saw what happened during the 2019 playoffs

What in the f**k are you getting so defensive for? Where did I say he took the ball out of Jimmy's hands? So to the original point, you don't think Shanny can take advantage of poor run defenses with Trey at the helm? Is that better worded for you?

No. What I was stating is that there is no guarantee that the team will face 2 consecutive soft run defenses again in the playoffs. Why are you getting so emotional? Calm down, bud. Its not that serious.

LMFAO. You telling me to calm down and it's not that serious after you told me that I said something that I didn't and then stating we are not the same because of it. Got it

What gives me confidence is his entire body of work. Those playoff games, there was no need to throw the ball. Why give you opponent any opening? It's not just a pick. Your line could let a guy through unblocked and get your qb killed, strip sack, receiver could have it bounce off his hands for a pick(happened 3 times that year).

They were averaging like 7 yard a carry and our D was suffocating both teams. Chew the clock, mitigate any risk and get to the SB. Don't know why that's so crazy to understand.

I've been over all the other great running performances and shows they were all competitive games, that's why the qb's threw more. We blew both teams out.

Jimmy is like 6-1 for game winning drives. I'll trust a guy who has proven that many times to deliver in the playoffs than a rookie who hasn't hardly played in 500 days.
What gives me confidence is his entire body of work. Those playoff games, there was no need to throw the ball. Why give you opponent any opening? It's not just a pick. Your line could let a guy through unblocked and get your qb killed, strip sack, receiver could have it bounce off his hands for a pick(happened 3 times that year).

They were averaging like 7 yard a carry and our D was suffocating both teams. Chew the clock, mitigate any risk and get to the SB. Don't know why that's so crazy to understand.

I've been over all the other great running performances and shows they were all competitive games, that's why the qb's threw more. We blew both teams out.

Jimmy is like 6-1 for game winning drives. I'll trust a guy who has proven that many times to deliver in the playoffs than a rookie who hasn't hardly played in 500 days.

Very well said. Couldn't agree more with this post - from the very first paragraph to the last.

Thank you for being mature and answering the question without getting defensive JD. I understand the reservations on the kid and his inexperience, but wasn't 2019 Jimmy's first full season as a starter too? I guess I have a harder time knocking someone for lacking a body of work when he hasn't had the chance to have a body of work to knock yet.

You're completely missing my point about the playoffs. You don't need to explain all that to me lol. I just think that Trey can also get us to the SB, not only the playoffs, if his route to the SB is the same as the one Jimmy had to get through in 2019. That route and game plan consisting of a heavily reliant run game and defense.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Trey, go!
My co-worker whos a Chiefs fan made an interesting point today saying Shanny is using Trey the exact same way Andy Reid sprinkled Mahomes in during Alex Smith's last season in KC.

Must not have been a very observant Chiefs fan seeing as how Mahomes never took a single snap during his rookie season aside from the Week 17 game that Smith sat out.

Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Nice looking one pass. Three first round picks for Taysom Hill

We could have used that first pick on a cb rather than a linebacker/qb.

And then if Jimmy goes down instead of Verrett, what do we do?

If Jimmy goes down we're f**ked either way. Trey isn't ready to start full time.

Nope, but if Jimmy goes down in the next couple weeks, Trey will be ready around week 10 or 11. It would all then depend on how lucky we get in the mean time.

I'm just curious where you get this estimation from? How are you so sure that Trey will be ready in just 5-8 games? I truly am curious because I have zero context to base any kind of estimation for his readiness this year. If someone asked me, "if Trey starts Sunday, how soon until he's really ready to take this team going forward?"
I'd say, "I have no idea."

Because I feel like anyone can complete a deep-in off of play-action with a guy who has no one within five yards of him, or the simple play-action boots and screens we run. It's the definite drop back passing downs where Trey is likely to struggle, but we can minimize those opportunities with our run game. As long as he takes sacks instead of throwing picks on those third and 10s, the team will be able to hang around in most games.

As for why I think after about 9 or 10 games he'll be ready to do reasonably well, it's because he's a pretty fast learner, and really most rookies who aren't busts are ready to go after about a season anyway.
Originally posted by CardinalGold:
The "did Kyle really want Trey" thing seemed to come up (again) this morning. I read some people saying Kyle wanted Mac but the org changed its
mind.
What was the source of that? I seemed to catch the end of it this morning, and so I'm wondering who reported what.

The source of that is media people were wrong about the 49ers pick and don't want to have their credibility take a hit.

I sincerely doubt your friend was a Chiefs fan before 2018. What Kyle did with Trey in week one, Andy Reid didnt do a single time in Mahomes rookie season.
Correct. Mahomes threw 35 passes that year, and all were in the game he started (after the Chiefs clinched). He also had one rush for 7 yards, and it also came in that game.

Thank you for being mature and answering the question without getting defensive JD. I understand the reservations on the kid and his inexperience, but wasn't 2019 Jimmy's first full season as a starter too? I guess I have a harder time knocking someone for lacking a body of work when he hasn't had the chance to have a body of work to knock yet.

You're completely missing my point about the playoffs. You don't need to explain all that to me lol. I just think that Trey can also get us to the SB, not only the playoffs, if his route to the SB is the same as the one Jimmy had to get through in 2019. That route and game plan consisting of a heavily reliant run game and defense.

it isnt just about inexperience at the nfl. Jimmy did sit behind tom brady but besides that jimmy threw 7x more college passes than Trey Lance. Trey does have that much experience just being under QB being a 1 year starter where he didn't even throw a high volume of passes.

How many rookie qb get their team to the SB? Thee answer is not many and the first time it happens it wont be with a FCS QB who threw less than 15-20 passes a game. I just dont see it. Its also clear from preseason he has some developing to do and theres nothing wrong with that if you watched his college film thats what you knew going in and tbh hes made a lot of progress already
it's a LOOOOOONG season. If you look at last years' week one roster compared to last years final game roster, there are a boatload of changes. Maybe you foos will get your wish and see Lance on the field soon enough . IMO he is nowhere near as Super Bowl ready just yet. He looked nervous as he should be, but with enough baby reps he'll be legit. These NFL players are elite. Speed, power is doubled on defense from what he's used to seeing.
Share 49ersWebzone