There are 208 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
So just to be clear… your two takes are:

1. Trey Lance < Mac Jones because Mac Jones is starting.

2. Trey Lance cannot throw a accurate ball or a spiral.

Is that correct?

Originally posted by NCommand:
The quiet assassin. His time will come.

Agree, and assessing Trey so soon is a bit misleading. Trey is going to be a good player, I trust Kyle and how he's developed QBs in the past. Kyle's figured out Jimmy's shotgun super powers, and so I have confidence Kyle's going to find out Trey's hidden super powers too.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by random49er:
cSanDiego wants to see 1 pass so badly so he can constantly cry over how imperfect the one pass was for 3 weeks.

He should be able to throw an accurate ball and a spiral if you give up this much draft capital.

Of course you've seen all his throws in practice as well as games and college film. He can throw a spiral and he can throw accurately. If all they wanted was a guy that throws 5-10 yards over the middle then they wouldn't have moved up for Trey. He's going to take more shots downfield so his accuracy may not be as high but there will also be more big plays. We know he's going to be more of a threat to run. How could he not be since Jimmy's yards per rush and rushing yards per game are about the lowest in the league.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by random49er:
cSanDiego wants to see 1 pass so badly so he can constantly cry over how imperfect the one pass was for 3 weeks.

He should be able to throw an accurate ball and a spiral if you give up this much draft capital.

Of course you've seen all his throws in practice as well as games and college film. He can throw a spiral and he can throw accurately. If all they wanted was a guy that throws 5-10 yards over the middle then they wouldn't have moved up for Trey. He's going to take more shots downfield so his accuracy may not be as high but there will also be more big plays. We know he's going to be more of a threat to run. How could he not be since Jimmy's yards per rush and rushing yards per game are about the lowest in the league.

his first throw as a professional against competition was a TD deep bomb (preseason roll out)

his first throw as a professional in an NFL game was a TD (came in at 5 yard line v Det)

he just needs reps as a starter and you will continue to see more
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree, and assessing Trey so soon is a bit misleading. Trey is going to be a good player, I trust Kyle and how he's developed QBs in the past. Kyle's figured out Jimmy's shotgun super powers, and so I have confidence Kyle's going to find out Trey's hidden super powers too.

Ikr. It only took Kyle 5 years to figure out Jimmy's strengths 😜. I doubt we'll see Lance anytime soon either. It feels like Kyle doesn't play rookies unless he's forced too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Ikr. It only took Kyle 5 years to figure out Jimmy's strengths 😜. I doubt we'll see Lance anytime soon either. It feels like Kyle doesn't play rookies unless he's forced too.

I think we'll see a healthy dose of Trey Lance this year if the 49ers fall out of contention though.

I get the 5 years point, but if you do the *actual played game* calculations - it's about really 2.5 years worth of games that Kyle can evaluate Jimmy on, due to all the time missed from his injuries.

Sermon - if he can catch like Ricky Watters - the Sermon/Lance duo could be as deadly as the Ricky Watters/Steve Young duo. That RPO and Boot Pass with Kittle and Sermon (again if Sermon is a reliable receiver - he caught a great pass from Jimmy in the Jags game) is going to be very productive with Lance's mobility.
I wanted to see him play but as far as general development goes I'd love if he could hit on those short to medium passes the way Jimmy does with the caveat of being able to attempt and hit on the deeper ones (15 yards +) above 50% of the time. Keep our strong running game with either less dependency or more space because of the threat of Lance's running ability and the fear of the deep ball.

The only thing that will stop Lance is himself. Hope to see him get more chances but honestly film study and practicing accuracy (offseason ) will be the most important things for him outside of learning the playbook.
[Wrong thread.]
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Nov 23, 2021 at 1:56 PM ]

I think we'll see a healthy dose of Trey Lance this year if the 49ers fall out of contention though.

I get the 5 years point, but if you do the *actual played game* calculations - it's about really 2.5 years worth of games that Kyle can evaluate Jimmy on, due to all the time missed from his injuries.

Sermon - if he can catch like Ricky Watters - the Sermon/Lance duo could be as deadly as the Ricky Watters/Steve Young duo. That RPO and Boot Pass with Kittle and Sermon (again if Sermon is a reliable receiver - he caught a great pass from Jimmy in the Jags game) is going to be very productive with Lance's mobility.

If Sermon could catch like Ricky and only turned out to be an average runner, it would be a good pick. Offense has loads of potential.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

If Sermon could catch like Ricky and only turned out to be an average runner, it would be a good pick. Offense has loads of potential.

Originally posted by NCommand:
The quiet assassin. His time will come.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Originally posted by tohara3:

Nice. He'll be a weapon for sure once Sermon gets his pass routes down.
I'm very, very concerned about this guy. He seems to have regressed. Kyle doesn't even trust him to throw a pass in a game anymore. He doesn't even use him for 3rd and 1 and goal line situations anymore.

He seems confused, overwhelmed and skittish. Not to mention he can't read the field, throw an accurate ball or a spiral.

As of right now we gave up way too much for this guy.

I'm very, very concerned about this guy. He seems to have regressed. Kyle doesn't even trust him to throw a pass in a game anymore. He doesn't even use him for 3rd and 1 and goal line situations anymore.

He seems confused, overwhelmed and skittish. Not to mention he can't read the field, throw an accurate ball or a spiral.

LOL

We don't know how he is progressing but he surely is learning and getting technique work in.

It's all good. Dude is going to be a beast when he is ready.
Still pissed that we drafted this clown
Share 49ersWebzone