There are 265 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Niners are 2 and 8 with trey. Lions and jags. That's it.

They don't beat the eagles
They get killed by the Packers.
The bears d would have killed Trey
They get killed by the Rams
They lose twice to the Cardinals
They lose to the colts

If you think otherwise you've got blinders on. He is NOT ready, and may never be. They're only 5 and 5 because the defense has struggled, not because of jimmy.

Subject take based off nothing but bias takes.

You could have said the same about the original post, but you didn't.

The ONLY thing we can truly point to is Shanahan continuing to stick with Jimmy. Why? He knows Trey isn't ready. That's not bias, that's fact.

Kyle said there was no competition at the beginning of the year. So, your wrong.
Originally posted by mayo49:

They lose to the colts

If you think otherwise you've got blinders on. He is NOT ready, and may never be. They're only 5 and 5 because the defense has struggled, not because of jimmy.

The ONLY thing we can truly point to is Shanahan continuing to stick with Jimmy. Why? He knows Trey isn't ready. That's not bias, that's fact.

Kyle said there was no competition at the beginning of the year. So, your wrong.

Because treys not ready. I don't see what you're getting at.

But kyle even didn't dispute the story that Trey took some steps back in training camp. Which is fine, it's just a learning curve. But people who continue to say Trey would be better than Jimmy right now are just not being realistic.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

They lose to the colts

But kyle even didn't dispute the story that Trey took some steps back in training camp. Which is fine, it's just a learning curve. But people who continue to say Trey would be better than Jimmy right now are just not being realistic.

We will never know if Kyle truly doesn't think Trey is ready, because he was never going to play him.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 26, 2021 at 7:00 AM ]

They lose to the colts

We will never know if Kyle truly doesn't think Trey is ready, because he was never going to play him.

Then there's two options. Either Shanahan is too stubborn to play his best player or Trey isn't ready. Which one is it.

You are stating where trey is this second, with basically no first team practices, no experience. You are saying that experience from week 1 would not have made him better by week 3/5/8/etc. and you have no idea what would have happened if he was the starter all along
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

They lose to the colts

Then there's two options. Either Shanahan is too stubborn to play his best player or Trey isn't ready. Which one is it.

Trey is not his best player. Trey was told from the beginning that there was no competition, so it didn't matter what he did, he was never going to win the job.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

You are stating where trey is this second, with basically no first team practices, no experience. You are saying that experience from week 1 would not have made him better by week 3/5/8/etc. and you have no idea what would have happened if he was the starter all along

Then you're criticizing Shanahans handling of the situation. You're also assuming that Trey would improve with certainty. That's never a given. Look at zach Wilson.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

They lose to the colts

Trey is not his best player. Trey was told from the beginning that there was no competition, so it didn't matter what he did, he was never going to win the job.

Agree, even the playbook, once Trey is QB 1, is going to change. For example, there's going to be a ton more of moving pockets, roll outs etc.. a lot more that what Jimmy does today. So Trey, memorizing the entire playbook, while - a good thing - isn't going to have the same playbook once Jimmy is gone. My hope is that Trey will be as good as Jimmy in the short to intermediate range, and then I hope Trey is way better in the deep range vs Jimmy. Kyle will draft according to Trey's strengths and I'm hoping to see a Tyreek Hill 2.0 drafted so Trey can uncork a deep one, now and again. But hey, if they stay Ground and Pound with Trey - as long as it's a 70% or more winning percentage - I'll still be a fan.

They lose to the colts

The 49ers lost by a bigger margin to the Cardinals with Jimmy at QB than with Trey. The Bears D didn't show up when the Niners played them. Without their best pass rusher the QB had all day to throw. I've never seen Jimmy with that much time.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Here's the rub....and I'm glad Jimmy is playing well the last few weeks.

If Trey started Week 1 and the rest of the way to now....would we be at least 5-5?

I say easy hell ****ing yes we would be no worse than 5-5 based on what I saw in that AZ game.

And that 5-5 is with 10 games of experience now under Trey's belt and by end of season he's not really a rookie anymore. And if we squeaked into the playoffs with a Lance w 17 games of experience, I believe we would be far more dangerous to do damage in the playoffs than w Jimmy at the helm.

Jimmy is getting this year clearly now. He better take as to the NFC title game or better or we just blew a year of experience for Trey and for what....nothing. and a qb that won't be here next here.

But he got hurt in his first start.

I liked a lot of what I saw but he got beat up bad. He could use some more seasoning on the bench while the team is winning.

Originally posted by Giedi:

They lose to the colts

Agree, even the playbook, once Trey is QB 1, is going to change. For example, there's going to be a ton more of moving pockets, roll outs etc.. a lot more that what Jimmy does today. So Trey, memorizing the entire playbook, while - a good thing - isn't going to have the same playbook once Jimmy is gone. My hope is that Trey will be as good as Jimmy in the short to intermediate range, and then I hope Trey is way better in the deep range vs Jimmy. Kyle will draft according to Trey's strengths and I'm hoping to see a Tyreek Hill 2.0 drafted so Trey can uncork a deep one, now and again. But hey, if they stay Ground and Pound with Trey - as long as it's a 70% or more winning percentage - I'll still be a fan.

I don't think the playbook will change that much when Trey takes over. Kyle has his style and he'll stay with it for the most part. He'll add some option plays and maybe a couple of deeper throws each game but it won't look radically different.

What will look different is the opposing defenses. They will have to respect the deep routes and certainly the QB runs. That will make the shorter routes that Kyle likes even more open. Plus the running game will remain a huge part of the offense with the addition of another runner.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

They lose to the colts

I don't think the playbook will change that much when Trey takes over. Kyle has his style and he'll stay with it for the most part. He'll add some option plays and maybe a couple of deeper throws each game but it won't look radically different.

What will look different is the opposing defenses. They will have to respect the deep routes and certainly the QB runs. That will make the shorter routes that Kyle likes even more open. Plus the running game will remain a huge part of the offense with the addition of another runner.

I think it will change - just look at how Kyle is using Deebo as a RB *and* as a WR, because of his skill set. Blocking will change - once Trey is the QB, running game will change, etc.. On goal line situations, Kyle will come up with some creative plays to put Trey in those win-win situations because of his running and passing ability.

I'm sure there will be designed scrambles. Plays that look like a broken play, but really isn't - to draw teams to one side or another. Probably even the option routes change depending on where Trey moves in the pocket when the WR looks back to Trey. I'm betting the two minute drill will significantly change with probably a more elaborate scramble drill based on Trey's ability to either buy time or move in the pocket as a runner.
[ Edited by Giedi on Nov 26, 2021 at 8:28 AM ]

They lose to the colts

I think it will change - just look at how Kyle is using Deebo as a RB *and* as a WR, because of his skill set. Blocking will change - once Trey is the QB, running game will change, etc.. On goal line situations, Kyle will come up with some creative plays to put Trey in those win-win situations because of his running and passing ability.

I'm sure there will be designed scrambles. Plays that look like a broken play, but really isn't - to draw teams to one side or another. Probably even the option routes change depending on where Kyle moves in the pocket when the WR looks back to Kyle. I'm betting the two minute drill will significantly change with probably a more elaborate scramble drill based on Trey's ability to either buy time or move in the pocket or as a runner.

i think the base playbook will stay the same

more option plays obviously but the 3rd and short and redzone offense especially near the endzone will be different imo but not sure what the argument has been the past few pages

whats the harm in allowing a raw rookie who threw less career college throws than some qbs throw in half a year to sit for a year?

As long we are in playoff contention i think the smart move is let him sit and i wanted Lance the most out of the 3 QB (when most people wanted fields) and though he should sit at that time his play hasnt really given me confidence he is ready yet and im ok with that its kind of what most people expected

They lose to the colts

I'm sure there will be designed scrambles. Plays that look like a broken play, but really isn't - to draw teams to one side or another. Probably even the option routes change depending on where Trey moves in the pocket when the WR looks back to Trey. I'm betting the two minute drill will significantly change with probably a more elaborate scramble drill based on Trey's ability to either buy time or move in the pocket as a runner.

But, to Catch's point, even with Deebo at RB the plays are still the same, just different personnel looks.

For example, the misses TD to Wilson, that was spider 2 y Banana. Just crazy personnel swaps that confused the heck out of JAX's defense. Was also why we kissed the TD, just happened that Wilson flashed open cause you never throw the Venus on spider 2 y banana! Jk, it's not the Venus. But, it wasn't the intended route.

I see more read-option looks incorporated to hold DE's and such. But Kyle's been running the wide-zone play action game a long time and he's wanting Trey to run that offense, not tailoring his offense to Trey like he had to do with RGIII
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ritz126:
i think the base playbook will stay the same

more option plays obviously but the 3rd and short and redzone offense especially near the endzone will be different imo but not sure what the argument has been the past few pages

whats the harm in allowing a raw rookie who threw less career college throws than some qbs throw in half a year to sit for a year?

As long we are in playoff contention i think the smart move is let him sit and i wanted Lance the most out of the 3 QB (when most people wanted fields) and though he should sit at that time his play hasnt really given me confidence he is ready yet and im ok with that its kind of what most people expected

Originally posted by jonnydel:
But, to Catch's point, even with Deebo at RB the plays are still the same, just different personnel looks.

For example, the misses TD to Wilson, that was spider 2 y Banana. Just crazy personnel swaps that confused the heck out of JAX's defense. Was also why we kissed the TD, just happened that Wilson flashed open cause you never throw the Venus on spider 2 y banana! Jk, it's not the Venus. But, it wasn't the intended route.

I see more read-option looks incorporated to hold DE's and such. But Kyle's been running the wide-zone play action game a long time and he's wanting Trey to run that offense, not tailoring his offense to Trey like he had to do with RGIII

I think a majority of the playbook will stay the same, but a significant portion will change. I'm not ready to say what percentage, but I'm betting 15% or more. Why? Because of Trey's unique running and passing ability - specially on the move. I've never seen a QB like him that can hit a WR on a dime while running full speed. Now he's not doing that consistently, but if Kyle can make him be consistent -- well WOW!

There's still going to be Kyle's ground and pound outside zone and inside zone, those are a critical foundation for the passing game to rest on. For sure. The short and intermediate passing game (a la Jimmy) will still be there - as long as Trey is as accurate as Jimmy is on those routes and has the same speed reading skills as Jimmy. But again, the scrambling, and moving will change. The offense from Walsh to Mike Shanahan - I thought - significantly changed with Steve Young in there. Obviously - left hand vs Right hand, but I just saw more of Steve young moving outside the pocket vs Joe. I mean just think about the Screen game. Trey moving to the right, and then throwing to the left on a simple screen play. Jimmy can do those too, but he just doesn't have Trey's home run speed and elusiveness. Those plays become very dangerous if they are designed as option plays too.
Share 49ersWebzone