There are 165 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Dude before the season and up until Trey for sure wasn't going to be an option anymore you been advocating anyone but jimmy

supporting the team on gameday doesn't change how you feel about him. if you can get rid of him right now, you would.. don't lie about that

I advocated for players that cost 5x less as an option….Once Lance was picked I actually was not on board with cutting/traded Jimmy. It's in here written down for all to see.

I feel Jimmy is a avg starting QB who's being paid to be an elite QB in 2021. That's been my stance and you know that….there's no point in getting rid of him right now. Once his contract became GTD and the FA market dried up, it was done.

im not emotional about Jimmy…never have been, he plays good I say he did. When he underwhelms I will said he did. Nothing more nothing less. He's inconsistent and this season has shown that.
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
Show examples in the Jimmy"The Winner"(lol remember how much that triggered some of you?) thread thanks...

You've been given several examples. Time for you to man up and apologize to Waterbear here as promised.
I honestly wonder where he would have been taken if we didn't pull the trigger at 3. Any rumors or leaks that such and such team was prepared to take him a certain spot?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I honestly wonder where he would have been taken if we didn't pull the trigger at 3. Any rumors or leaks that such and such team was prepared to take him a certain spot?

Falcons, Denver possibly Carolina …Ben Albright said Denver was all about Lance during the draft process.
Originally posted by random49er:
You've been given several examples. Time for you to man up and apologize to Waterbear here as promised.

Nah he will just keep on deflecting

He would've been a Falcon IMO. Sit him behind Ryan until he was ready.

Broncos was the big one, and some ATL.
https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/broncos-trey-lance-anonymous-nfl-general-manager-draft-rumor
https://www.sportstalkatl.com/the-falcons-would-have-taken-trey-lance/

Broncos were worried about Fields medical.

Here's what someone from the Broncos told Robinson about the concern with Fields' epilepsy:

"It wasn't the talent, we really liked the talent a lot. It was the medical. Look, the epilepsy…the concern about it was…the amount of risk that is there the day you draft him, versus what's there 10 years down the line is the same. It never dissipates."
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Dec 2, 2021 at 11:34 AM ]
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/broncos-trey-lance-anonymous-nfl-general-manager-draft-rumor

Here's what someone from the Broncos told Robinson about the concern with Fields' epilepsy:

"It wasn't the talent, we really liked the talent a lot. It was the medical. Look, the epilepsy…the concern about it was…the amount of risk that is there the day you draft him, versus what's there 10 years down the line is the same. It never dissipates."

Yeah Albright who's connected to Denver more than anyone said they were all about Lance too.

Just a fun fact....I know the Colts had Wentz and more than likely weren't not gonna take him... but I remember their big board being shown and they had a "blue card" for Lance, which is similar to SF and their golden helmet. I believe him and Smith were the only dudes that had that in the 1st rd.

This is what Ballard (who a lot of people have high respect for as a talent evaluator) said about what giving a blue card to a draft prospect means...

When we are in draft meetings, we talk about each player's football character at great length to determine if a player fits our draft board. If a player meets our strict criteria in terms of his football character, he is given a blue card. There might be 10 or 12 blue cards in the entire draft and we want to pick as many of these players for our locker room that we can.

SF reportedly was able to draft two players that they had labeled as "golden helmet" players....Lance and Talanoa Hufanga.

IMO it's kinda cool to see another highly respected GM have the same idea towards a player we drafted.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
That garbage sounds like a lot of Tr_EXCUSES. If he could play and add any value he would play. But he has not proven that so far.

I think you might be hitting that drum a little hard. Lance hasn't shown much because he hasn't had much opportunity to do so. In the one start he did have he looked like a rookie with limited experience, which is what he is. By next season he will have had two full training camps two preseasons and a full regular season to have studied and learned what it takes to play QB in the NFL. Although he will probably be lacking much in the way of actual game reps if the team keeps on his current trajectory he will have had whatever benefits being on the scout team have to offer.

I have yet to see any reports questioning his work ethic or ability to grasp the offense. Like all running QB's he will need to learn to not rely on his legs at the first sign of trouble and that long term success in the NFL requires that players learn how to win from the pocket. If the team around him is strong enough that will help make up for some of his inexperience.

Of course, the problem is that a lot of defensive players are on one year contracts this year for what they all assumed would be a Super Bowl run with a better payday on the other side so we'll have to see how all that plays out. On the plus side he has a lot of young talent that he can grow with on the offensive side Aiyuk, Mitchell, and Samuel. He'll even be able to get a few more year out of Kittle. As I have said before I have zero expectations for Lance at the moment and am just waiting for his turn to come in and show my what he can do. Hopefully it will be good enough to take care of the team's QB position for the next ten years.

I'm confident, not so much in Trey, but in Kyle. So based on that, I think Trey will be fine. What Kyle has done to help with the development of other QB's including Jimmy, gives me confidence that once Trey gets going as QB 1, his progress as a 49er QB should be rapid, fast and breathtaking. (I hope )

.. just can't wait what KS & JL will then say if Baby Face doesn't turn out to be the next Mahomes..

Personally, I think he has the physical gifts to be as good or better than Mahomes. We shall see.

He has the rocket arm, blazing footspeed, great elusiveness in running, has very good pocket awareness. Good accuracy on the move, good accuracy in the pocket, hard worker, willing to learn, relatively injury free (from his college history). He seems to be very bright, and seems to pick football things up very quickly. Even if he only has 70% of Jimmy's mental processing power, the physical attributes may make that a wash. My hope is that he's WAY better than Jimmy and hopefully can have a career like Tom Brady.

Based on your previous posts I am assuming that much of this is said with with your tongue in your cheek but it this is exactly the kind of thing that raises my hackles in discussions of Lance. He may indeed possess all of the qualities that some people attribute to him but at this particular point in time, December 2nd and 10:05 AM PST there is no one, no one, except maybe Kyle Shanahan, who has any real notion of what kind of Pro Lance will turn out to be. It is all conjecture, speculation and projection at this point based on a very small sample size.

The history of the NFL is littered with the broken dreams of Heisman winning QB's from big schools who have gone on to have nothing to write home about careers in the NFL. In fact it seems as though a lot of them become journeyman back-ups or are out of the league entirely within a few years. Given that, I'm not quite sure how the 'potential" of an under recruited kid from a Division II school has been elevated to the level it seems to have been among some posters. Lance is young and is in a great position to write his own NFL story but right now we are still in the prelude, we haven't even gotten to the first chapter yet. All that has happened is that we have been introduced to the character. Next year, when his story will probably start in earnest we'll all have a chance to see how it plays out. Like any fan I am hoping for the best but I will reserve judgement until I actually get to see him play for extended periods in games that matter, which seems like it should be a reasonable approach for just about anyone.

Unlike CC and Susweel, I'm an eternal optimist. Personally, I think being an optimist is harder than being a pessimist. Brains are naturally wired to be more sensitive to pain receptors than the opposite. I also find that being an optimist is actually more in line with reality than being a pessimist. How many times has my friend CC looked at the worst, predicted the worst, and it's *not* happened?

I look at Lance and Jimmy the same way. I think they are good QB's (or going to be better) and they have the potential to both be great. A lot of folks have said and continue to say Jimmy sucks, Jimmy's average, yet he continues to win. (they aren't necessarily wrong, it's just their opinions) Point being - you can look at reality in a lot of different ways. I mean how many times have you seen 49er posters - after a win - say Jimmy sucks because he didn't connect on one or two 3rd down check down pass to the FB? But the team *won* by a great margin?

I see Trey's potential, and if things break right for him, he can be a super star. BeatHard and Mullens are still in the NFL. Thats saying something about Kyle's ability to develop QB's. Both BeatHard and Mullens can't hold a candle to Trey's physical talents. Trey seems to have a great work ethic, great character, and a good mind. That's the first foundation. In the AZ game he showed some eye-opening passes, unfortunately the WR's dropped them because they weren't ready for the speed and the quickness of his delivery. On top of his arm talent, and his quick mind, he has that god given running ability. Pair that with Kyle's creativity, and ability to put together players to surround Trey with the kind of players that enhance his already formidable physical talents and the sky is the limit in my eyes. Just the fact that Trey will have Mitchell when he's QB 1 is going to a huge advantage to him. On top of having Deebo, Aiyuk, an improving Jennings, and a (relatively young OLine) if you count the two rookies from the draft this year. Oh, yeah, if he's having a bad day, I'm sure Bosa will cheer him up with a couple of turnovers for him to play with.

That's *my* opinion. Feel free to disagree. NC always says opinions are like arm-pitts, every body has 'em, and they all stink.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yeah Albright who's connected to Denver more than anyone said they were all about Lance too.

Just a fun fact....I know the Colts had Wentz and more than likely weren't not gonna take him... but I remember their big board being shown and they had a "blue card" for Lance, which is similar to SF and their golden helmet. I believe him and Smith were the only dudes that had that in the 1st rd.

This is what Ballard (who a lot of people have high respect for as a talent evaluator) said about what giving a blue card to a draft prospect means...

When we are in draft meetings, we talk about each player's football character at great length to determine if a player fits our draft board. If a player meets our strict criteria in terms of his football character, he is given a blue card. There might be 10 or 12 blue cards in the entire draft and we want to pick as many of these players for our locker room that we can.

SF reportedly was able to draft two players that they had labeled as "golden helmet" players....Lance and Talanoa Hufanga.

IMO it's kinda cool to see another highly respected GM have the same idea towards a player we drafted.

Interesting

I just believe in accountability. These guys spent thousands of post, literally thousands downplaying Jimmy for everything and never giving him an ounce of positive outlook while propping up Stafford, Cousins, hell Carr even. Not every once in a while, A lot... Even going as far as stupid "Jimmy cat throw 15 yards" just to flat out troll and hate.

Now that Jimmy is playing like many of us were proven right and spend thousands of post sticking up for him, these guys have completely changed their stance and act like they never were the guys who were negative everyday. Negative abd flat out WRONG. They pretend like posters(I wasn't a member) didn't spend a lot of time arguing their stance about Stafford and how he was a huge upgrade. They pretend like it never happened. It did though. They were wrong and should be called out.

I mean I remember reading these guys posting rankings of all other QBs yet they lie that they talked about these other guys to the point it was gross and completely made the place unreadable at times. Like dissecting a single throw for a week.

This better not be directed at me....
Trey is in good hands and has all the tangibles and intangibles to be successful. Let hope for some good luck and fortune in the future
Agree on your point that if Lance played more, he'd be neck and neck with Trevor Lawrence for the first pick/first round spot. Covid came at the right time for Trey and the 49ers, just like Jimmy's injury came at the right time for Bosa.

I think sitting Trey benefits him and the team in a lot of ways. Team can shoot for a playoff spot, and Trey gets to see how a NFL QB handles himself in front of the press, how he practices, his mindset and attitude, how he takes care of his body (or how not to take care of his body -- I'm disturbed by how he's sliding the same way Jimmy is, and that he's taking on Linebackers the same way Jimmy is). I also don't think he'll start out with a lot of struggling (by that I mean a lot of losses) because if you surround Trey with a good team, he can go directly into the playoffs. Dak Prescott would be my example of that.

The hardest thing about intangibles is there's no stats for those. You have to look at the play. Jimmy has a ton of intangibles, just by looking at what he does on the field and in given situations (2019 games in New Orleans, Steelers etc...) But from what I've seen of him - he has the most needed intangibles vs a guy like Johnny Manziel. I'm confident he can continue to develop from the Neck up.

As for Reps, he's getting them now. And at a very high level vs his collegiate days. Technically speaking, Trey would still be in school getting reps at North Dakota State (if he didn't submit for the 2021 NFL draft) vs live reps against elite athletes in the NFL at 4949 Marie P. Debartolo Way. In practice they can stop play and go over the mistakes a lot easier than in a real live game. All in all, I'm confident we'll see Jimmy's mind in a Trey Lance body. That's what Kyle wanted and I think that's what Kyle is shooting for by drafting Trey. If we can get two number 1 picks for Jimmy, even better -- but for that to happen -- Jimmy's got to win the super bowl.

Trey developing beyond Jimmy. Trey's athleticism is so sky high - and if you look at Kyle's run game now, it ain't nuthin' yet once Trey's the QB 1. That run game is going to be so devastating because of the creativity of Kyle, the presence of Mitchell, and the development of that OLine. That OLine isn't the same OLine that we had back in 2017 for sure. 3rd and short will be impossible to stop. I remember the '94 49ers averaging almost 6 yards per play. I think the Trey offense can go beyond that level.

Oh no I wasn't trying to say Lance with more time could have been drafted over TL. Lawrence had an amazing college career and is the real deal. My point was if Lance stayed this yr, played like he did in the past, he would have been the top QB in this draft and possibly the #1 overall pick.

He's not getting meaningful reps...I will totally disagree with that. What he's doing as a scout QB is not "live reps" nor is it running this scheme or playing with the guys he will be playing with on Sundays for the most part. It's all very much staged during the season. I don't want Jimmy's mind in Lance's body...Jimmy can run the scheme Kyle wants to run with him, but he's not some amazing pre/post snap QB and film backs that up. I want him to be better than that, which of course will take time.

Kyle is basically starting from the start with Lance the way he's doing it...that's fine. I just don't want to hear all he b***hing next yr when he's not mahomes all of a sudden. It's a different player/situation and not fair to the kid.
I just believe in accountability. These guys spent thousands of post, literally thousands downplaying Jimmy for everything and never giving him an ounce of positive outlook while propping up Stafford, Cousins, hell Carr even. Not every once in a while, A lot... Even going as far as stupid "Jimmy cat throw 15 yards" just to flat out troll and hate.

Now that Jimmy is playing like many of us were proven right and spend thousands of post sticking up for him, these guys have completely changed their stance and act like they never were the guys who were negative everyday. Negative abd flat out WRONG. They pretend like posters(I wasn't a member) didn't spend a lot of time arguing their stance about Stafford and how he was a huge upgrade. They pretend like it never happened. It did though. They were wrong and should be called out.

I mean I remember reading these guys posting rankings of all other QBs yet they lie that they talked about these other guys to the point it was gross and completely made the place unreadable at times. Like dissecting a single throw for a week.

This better not be directed at me....

Interesting

Yeah there's a WZ article about it somewhere.
Share 49ersWebzone