LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
I just believe in accountability. These guys spent thousands of post, literally thousands downplaying Jimmy for everything and never giving him an ounce of positive outlook while propping up Stafford, Cousins, hell Carr even. Not every once in a while, A lot... Even going as far as stupid "Jimmy cat throw 15 yards" just to flat out troll and hate.

Now that Jimmy is playing like many of us were proven right and spend thousands of post sticking up for him, these guys have completely changed their stance and act like they never were the guys who were negative everyday. Negative abd flat out WRONG. They pretend like posters(I wasn't a member) didn't spend a lot of time arguing their stance about Stafford and how he was a huge upgrade. They pretend like it never happened. It did though. They were wrong and should be called out.

I mean I remember reading these guys posting rankings of all other QBs yet they lie that they talked about these other guys to the point it was gross and completely made the place unreadable at times. Like dissecting a single throw for a week.

This better not be directed at me....
might not be you, but you wouldn't be exempt from the lineup
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I just believe in accountability. These guys spent thousands of post, literally thousands downplaying Jimmy for everything and never giving him an ounce of positive outlook while propping up Stafford, Cousins, hell Carr even. Not every once in a while, A lot... Even going as far as stupid "Jimmy cat throw 15 yards" just to flat out troll and hate.

Now that Jimmy is playing like many of us were proven right and spend thousands of post sticking up for him, these guys have completely changed their stance and act like they never were the guys who were negative everyday. Negative abd flat out WRONG. They pretend like posters(I wasn't a member) didn't spend a lot of time arguing their stance about Stafford and how he was a huge upgrade. They pretend like it never happened. It did though. They were wrong and should be called out.

I mean I remember reading these guys posting rankings of all other QBs yet they lie that they talked about these other guys to the point it was gross and completely made the place unreadable at times. Like dissecting a single throw for a week.

TreyDey the OP is towards the front of the lineup. TreyDeyEeyDey gave up on Jimmy several games ago and demanded that we start Lance.

Now he's up on a pulpit delivering sermons to everyone like his quitting on Jimmy never happened.

and that would be a b******t take....I've said he played bad when I think he's plays bad. I've said he's played well when he plays well. There's a f**k ton of grey area between all that as well. It's not jus good or bad and nothing else.

Consistency isn't there and never has been. You get WTF are you doing moments, missed reads, yards left on the field, great throws and great reads smashed into all of it. The MINN game is a perfect example of Jimmy and what he is....End of the day IMO that makes you and avg starting QB in the NFL, who's not being paid like one this yr. If people want to disagree fine, I don't care everyone disagrees about literally everything in here. That's what this forum has become. You're wrong, no you're wrong (insert gif of guys throwing middle fingers at each other).

accountability is being able to say he's bad when he's playing bad.... this Trey dude might have had one post where Jimmy didn't play well vs the Colts AND I don't even think that's the game to be pointing out...it was a monsoon. He gave up on Jimmy after that game and wanted to play Lance. Now because Jimmy is playing better, he should demand everyone apologize for what he did as well lol. give me a break.

I have absolutely no problem being accountable for what I say in here and you know this.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 2, 2021 at 12:28 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree on your point that if Lance played more, he'd be neck and neck with Trevor Lawrence for the first pick/first round spot. Covid came at the right time for Trey and the 49ers, just like Jimmy's injury came at the right time for Bosa.

I think sitting Trey benefits him and the team in a lot of ways. Team can shoot for a playoff spot, and Trey gets to see how a NFL QB handles himself in front of the press, how he practices, his mindset and attitude, how he takes care of his body (or how not to take care of his body -- I'm disturbed by how he's sliding the same way Jimmy is, and that he's taking on Linebackers the same way Jimmy is). I also don't think he'll start out with a lot of struggling (by that I mean a lot of losses) because if you surround Trey with a good team, he can go directly into the playoffs. Dak Prescott would be my example of that.

The hardest thing about intangibles is there's no stats for those. You have to look at the play. Jimmy has a ton of intangibles, just by looking at what he does on the field and in given situations (2019 games in New Orleans, Steelers etc...) But from what I've seen of him - he has the most needed intangibles vs a guy like Johnny Manziel. I'm confident he can continue to develop from the Neck up.

As for Reps, he's getting them now. And at a very high level vs his collegiate days. Technically speaking, Trey would still be in school getting reps at North Dakota State (if he didn't submit for the 2021 NFL draft) vs live reps against elite athletes in the NFL at 4949 Marie P. Debartolo Way. In practice they can stop play and go over the mistakes a lot easier than in a real live game. All in all, I'm confident we'll see Jimmy's mind in a Trey Lance body. That's what Kyle wanted and I think that's what Kyle is shooting for by drafting Trey. If we can get two number 1 picks for Jimmy, even better -- but for that to happen -- Jimmy's got to win the super bowl.

Trey developing beyond Jimmy. Trey's athleticism is so sky high - and if you look at Kyle's run game now, it ain't nuthin' yet once Trey's the QB 1. That run game is going to be so devastating because of the creativity of Kyle, the presence of Mitchell, and the development of that OLine. That OLine isn't the same OLine that we had back in 2017 for sure. 3rd and short will be impossible to stop. I remember the '94 49ers averaging almost 6 yards per play. I think the Trey offense can go beyond that level.

Oh no I wasn't trying to say Lance with more time could have been drafted over TL. Lawrence had an amazing college career and is the real deal. My point was if Lance stayed this yr, played like he did in the past, he would have been the top QB in this draft and possibly the #1 overall pick.

He's not getting meaningful reps...I will totally disagree with that. What he's doing as a scout QB is not "live reps" nor is it running this scheme or playing with the guys he will be playing with on Sundays for the most part. It's all very much staged during the season. I don't want Jimmy's mind in Lance's body...Jimmy can run the scheme Kyle wants to run with him, but he's not some amazing pre/post snap QB and film backs that up. I want him to be better than that, which of course will take time.

Kyle is basically starting from the start with Lance the way he's doing it...that's fine. I just don't want to hear all he b***hing next yr when he's not mahomes all of a sudden. It's a different player/situation and not fair to the kid.

Sorry to disappoint you bud. News flash, Life isn't fair. If life was fair, I'd make as much money as Kaepernick.

I disagree that you think Trey's practice reps are *meaningless* - I think they are essential and meaning-full. When you are learning anything, you have to make sure you get the good foundations down, if not, then whatever you build on that is built on quicksand, vs Granite. Secondly, you don't want to ruin a players confidence. You always hear Kyle say, "The game isn't too big for him..." That's translated as confidence. Once lost, confidence is very hard to get back, and can retard a players evolution by years. Make the mistakes in practice when the game is *not on the line* vs when it is on the line. Those mistakes will burn a mans soul. I'm sure Jimmy will never forget that overthrown ball to Emmanuel Sanders in the super bowl. Imagine a thousand negative plays like that - because Trey was played too soon. That will affect his belief in himself and his confidence - if he played a real game with *real* consequences. In practice, those mistakes can be brushed off. Not so much those real game mistakes.

I think Jimmy's mind is one of the best QB minds in the business. To be that efficient on the limited amount of throws shows you how well he's processing the defensive reads, and also how Kyle's assembled the kind of talent around Jimmy to make Jimmy's skillset come out. Again, I don't think the offense will significantly change under Trey vs Jimmy. I think it will still be a heavy run offense and the occasional QB throw - even with Trey involved. Where I think the offense will change is in the periphery - Kyle will add more plays that take advantage of Trey's mobility (Jimmy has none). I was even thinking maybe Kyle would get a Tyreek Hill 2.0 to take advantage of Trey's rocket arm (much more powerful than Jimmys), but on second thought, why? NC pointed out that if Kyle has a powerful ground game, he thought it would be more of an advantage to get a 2nd Deebo instead. I agree with him after some thought.

Practice is also useful to Kyle to judge when Trey will be ready to take on real in-game reps. I defer to Kyle on that matter in developing QB's. I think he has more experience than I do on that matter. You don't mind if I think Kyle knows better about developing QB's than you do, right?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Trey is in good hands and has all the tangibles and intangibles to be successful. Let hope for some good luck and fortune in the future

This

and that would be a b******t take....I've said he played bad when I think he's plays bad. I've said he's played well when he plays well. There's a f**k ton of grey area between all that as well. It's not jus good or bad and nothing else.

Consistency isn't there and never has been. You get WTF are you doing moments, missed reads, yards left on the field, great throws and great reads smashed into all of it. The MINN game is a perfect example of Jimmy and what he is....End of the day IMO that makes you and avg starting QB in the NFL, who's not being paid like one this yr. If people want to disagree fine, I don't care everyone disagrees about literally everything in here. That's what this forum has become. You're wrong, no you're wrong (insert gif of guys throwing middle fingers at each other).

accountability is being able to say he's bad when he's playing bad.... this Trey dude might have had one post where Jimmy didn't play well vs the Colts AND I don't even think that's the game to be pointing out...it was a monsoon. He gave up on Jimmy after that game and wanted to play Lance. Now because Jimmy is playing better, he should demand everyone apologize for what he did as well lol. give me a break.

I have absolutely no problem being accountable for what I say in here and you know this.
not trying to argue, but trying to get you out of the box for a better view. i just see it how it is. A million post for 5-6 months about how you see jimmy vs a hundred post saying he's ok and support him. it's not even. Similar to your post in bold..

You can ask anyone here how they feel about you on the Subject of Jimmy.. Support is something that will hardly come up
Sorry to disappoint you bud. News flash, Life isn't fair. If life was fair, I'd make as much money as Kaepernick.

I disagree that you think Trey's practice reps are *meaningless* - I think they are essential and meaning-full. When you are learning anything, you have to make sure you get the good foundations down, if not, then whatever you build on that is built on quicksand, vs Granite. Secondly, you don't want to ruin a players confidence. You always hear Kyle say, "The game isn't too big for him..." That's translated as confidence. Once lost, confidence is very hard to get back, and can retard a players evolution by years. Make the mistakes in practice when the game is *not on the line* vs when it is on the line. Those mistakes will burn a mans soul. I'm sure Jimmy will never forget that overthrown ball to Emmanuel Sanders in the super bowl. Imagine a thousand negative plays like that - because Trey was played too soon. That will affect his belief in himself and his confidence - if he played a real game with *real* consequences. In practice, those mistakes can be brushed off. Not so much those real game mistakes.

I think Jimmy's mind is one of the best QB minds in the business.

agree to disagree
not trying to argue, but trying to get you out of the box for a better view. i just see it how it is. A million post for 5-6 months about how you see jimmy vs a hundred post saying he's ok and support him. it's not even. Similar to your post in bold..

You can ask anyone here how they feel about you on the Subject of Jimmy.. Support is something that will hardly come up

Yes I see Jimmy as an avg QB...that has never changed. That is the vast majority of my posts regarding him. He's overpaid for his play and that does affect the whole team. He's inconsistent and we see if every week. I don't have to blindly say everything is good when it isn't. As of late he's playing better then earlier in the year. That's great and I'm happy about that. I've posted that multiple times. Is he playing at some super high level? No I don't think so...but he's playing well enough to help the team get Ws.

I don't even know what you mean by "support him"? I root for him every damn week to play well. I want him to be good. I wanted SF to trade for him and was pumped when he got here. We've now watched him for multiple years and everyone has their view point on what he is. You eat up 12% of the total cap (which is a ton) I expect you to play lights out and make up for lost talent because of where the cash is allocated. If that doesn't matter to some people, cool.

IF we had another avg starting QB making top cash I would be saying the same s**t. Half the people in here are too damn emotional to have a convo on it. They see a post where it's not flat out praising Jimmy, so that means you automatically hate him.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 2, 2021 at 12:59 PM ]
Originally posted by BamaNiner:

I can see Mac getting there because he is about football and nothing else. No social media posts during the season while we got Lance doing photo shoots for anyone who asks.

Mac is all football.... clearly
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 2, 2021 at 1:15 PM ]

Well NY and I had some of the WORST arguments on here until he mentally moved on from him,...I assume, due to his inconsistency. Lol,...so i can personally vouch for how supportive he was of Jimmy.

Now, he's ready for the next chapter,...and just what's wrong with that? He supports him when he watches him on Sundays because just like the rest of us, he wants to win.

Before and after games are going to talk about the good and we are going to talk about the not so good and it's going to be the same exact deal w/Trey.

I don't want people being supportive with fake words instead of sharing what they really think on a messageboard. If I'm at the game with them and the other team has the ball in the 4th for the go ahead score, THAT is when I want to hear their support, regardless of which players they like more than the other.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 2, 2021 at 1:06 PM ]

I would love it if Trey makes an appearance this Sunday to help ensure victory over the cucks.
Unlike CC and Susweel, I'm an eternal optimist. Personally, I think being an optimist is harder than being a pessimist. Brains are naturally wired to be more sensitive to pain receptors than the opposite. I also find that being an optimist is actually more in line with reality than being a pessimist. How many times has my friend CC looked at the worst, predicted the worst, and it's *not* happened?

I look at Lance and Jimmy the same way. I think they are good QB's (or going to be better) and they have the potential to both be great. A lot of folks have said and continue to say Jimmy sucks, Jimmy's average, yet he continues to win. (they aren't necessarily wrong, it's just their opinions) Point being - you can look at reality in a lot of different ways. I mean how many times have you seen 49er posters - after a win - say Jimmy sucks because he didn't connect on one or two 3rd down check down pass to the FB? But the team *won* by a great margin?

I see Trey's potential, and if things break right for him, he can be a super star. BeatHard and Mullens are still in the NFL. Thats saying something about Kyle's ability to develop QB's. Both BeatHard and Mullens can't hold a candle to Trey's physical talents. Trey seems to have a great work ethic, great character, and a good mind. That's the first foundation. In the AZ game he showed some eye-opening passes, unfortunately the WR's dropped them because they weren't ready for the speed and the quickness of his delivery. On top of his arm talent, and his quick mind, he has that god given running ability. Pair that with Kyle's creativity, and ability to put together players to surround Trey with the kind of players that enhance his already formidable physical talents and the sky is the limit in my eyes. Just the fact that Trey will have Mitchell when he's QB 1 is going to a huge advantage to him. On top of having Deebo, Aiyuk, an improving Jennings, and a (relatively young OLine) if you count the two rookies from the draft this year. Oh, yeah, if he's having a bad day, I'm sure Bosa will cheer him up with a couple of turnovers for him to play with.

That's *my* opinion. Feel free to disagree. NC always says opinions are like arm-pitts, every body has 'em, and they all stink.

Yeah I tend to be more patient myself. I never expected or even hoped that Trey would be some phenom who would justify his draft position at the earliest opportunity. I fully expected him to sit a full year and was semi surprised he got as much action as he already has outside the 1 start due to JG injury. I think it is the right plan of action and look forward to seeing where he's at come training camp.
Originally posted by random49er:
Well NY and I had some of the WORST arguments on here until he mentally moved on from him,...I assume, due to his inconsistency. Lol,...so i can personally vouch for how supportive he was of Jimmy.

Now, he's ready for the next chapter,...and just what's wrong with that? He supports him when he watches him on Sundays because just like the rest of us, he wants to win.

Before and after games are going to talk about the good and we are going to talk about the not so good and it's going to be the same exact deal w/Trey.

I don't want people being supportive with fake words instead of sharing what they really think on a messageboard. If I'm at the game with them and the other team has the ball in the 4th for the go ahead score, THAT is when I want to hear their support, regardless of which players they like more than the other.

People have disagreements...you and I had some in the draft threads about Bosa vs Allen. Both turned into good players. Our debates got so far off base at one point that neither person knew what we were arguing about lol.

All I've said was we should look to upgrade at the QB position this off season...Jimmy's inconsistency was obvious (play and availability) and there was a market to upgrade the position via trade or draft. SF ended up doing just that.

I've never hated Jimmy, I think he's a starting caliber QB in the NFL but I think we should want more from a QB especially one at that price point. I think he's a class act and overall a decent human being. IF he makes a great play I celebrate just like everyone else. The difference is when he makes a boneheaded play, I will talk about it and some people refuse to or immediately call it hating. That's where the real issue is.

Carr is leading the league in passing yards and has more than 1000 yards more than Jimmy. He even has a slightly higher completion percentage despite leading the league in passes thrown 20 yards or more beyond the line of scrimmage. He has more than 55. Jimmy has 10. This isn't about criticizing Jimmy. It's about defending a QB that you apparently don't think is very good. "hell, Carr even".
People have disagreements...you and I had some in the draft threads about Bosa vs Allen. Both turned into good players. Our debates got so far off base at one point that neither person knew what we were arguing about lol.

All I've said was we should look to upgrade at the QB position this off season...Jimmy's inconsistency was obvious (play and availability) and there was a market to upgrade the position via trade or draft. SF ended up doing just that.

I've never hated Jimmy, I think he's a starting caliber QB in the NFL but I think we should want more from a QB especially one at that price point. I think he's a class act and overall a decent human being. IF he makes a great play I celebrate just like everyone else. The difference is when he makes a boneheaded play, I will talk about it and some people refuse to or immediately call it hating. That's where the real issue is.

Wow,...Allen's good but 2nd overall? Don't know about that one but if I suggested such I'll fess up and say I called that one wrong,...lol. Bosa's a little anti with some things (has he even been vaccinated yet?) but there's no doubt he's been worthy of the 2nd overall pick.
Share 49ersWebzone