LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Sorry to disappoint you bud. News flash, Life isn't fair. If life was fair, I'd make as much money as Kaepernick.

I disagree that you think Trey's practice reps are *meaningless* - I think they are essential and meaning-full. When you are learning anything, you have to make sure you get the good foundations down, if not, then whatever you build on that is built on quicksand, vs Granite. Secondly, you don't want to ruin a players confidence. You always hear Kyle say, "The game isn't too big for him..." That's translated as confidence. Once lost, confidence is very hard to get back, and can retard a players evolution by years. Make the mistakes in practice when the game is *not on the line* vs when it is on the line. Those mistakes will burn a mans soul. I'm sure Jimmy will never forget that overthrown ball to Emmanuel Sanders in the super bowl. Imagine a thousand negative plays like that - because Trey was played too soon. That will affect his belief in himself and his confidence - if he played a real game with *real* consequences. In practice, those mistakes can be brushed off. Not so much those real game mistakes.

I think Jimmy's mind is one of the best QB minds in the business.

agree to disagree

Fair enough!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Unlike CC and Susweel, I'm an eternal optimist. Personally, I think being an optimist is harder than being a pessimist. Brains are naturally wired to be more sensitive to pain receptors than the opposite. I also find that being an optimist is actually more in line with reality than being a pessimist. How many times has my friend CC looked at the worst, predicted the worst, and it's *not* happened?

I look at Lance and Jimmy the same way. I think they are good QB's (or going to be better) and they have the potential to both be great. A lot of folks have said and continue to say Jimmy sucks, Jimmy's average, yet he continues to win. (they aren't necessarily wrong, it's just their opinions) Point being - you can look at reality in a lot of different ways. I mean how many times have you seen 49er posters - after a win - say Jimmy sucks because he didn't connect on one or two 3rd down check down pass to the FB? But the team *won* by a great margin?

I see Trey's potential, and if things break right for him, he can be a super star. BeatHard and Mullens are still in the NFL. Thats saying something about Kyle's ability to develop QB's. Both BeatHard and Mullens can't hold a candle to Trey's physical talents. Trey seems to have a great work ethic, great character, and a good mind. That's the first foundation. In the AZ game he showed some eye-opening passes, unfortunately the WR's dropped them because they weren't ready for the speed and the quickness of his delivery. On top of his arm talent, and his quick mind, he has that god given running ability. Pair that with Kyle's creativity, and ability to put together players to surround Trey with the kind of players that enhance his already formidable physical talents and the sky is the limit in my eyes. Just the fact that Trey will have Mitchell when he's QB 1 is going to a huge advantage to him. On top of having Deebo, Aiyuk, an improving Jennings, and a (relatively young OLine) if you count the two rookies from the draft this year. Oh, yeah, if he's having a bad day, I'm sure Bosa will cheer him up with a couple of turnovers for him to play with.

That's *my* opinion. Feel free to disagree. NC always says opinions are like arm-pitts, every body has 'em, and they all stink.

Yeah I tend to be more patient myself. I never expected or even hoped that Trey would be some phenom who would justify his draft position at the earliest opportunity. I fully expected him to sit a full year and was semi surprised he got as much action as he already has outside the 1 start due to JG injury. I think it is the right plan of action and look forward to seeing where he's at come training camp.

Patience is key. The Kyle Shanahan offense is complicated. It's not Jimmy Raye's offense that can be mastered in a week. Even the best QB's - example Matt Ryan - took a whole year to master, and asking for a rookie like Trey to master it in less than one full and whole offseason is a bit ridiculous to me.

When I saw Trey in the AZ game, I caught a glimpse of what he's capable of once he masters the offense to a reasonable degree. Until then, I was also in the dark about any expectations. I really didn't know what he could do in a *real* game. What I saw: great arm talent and accuracy, great footspeed and elusiveness, good football mind and getting better. I was really impressed how accurate he is throwing on the run. I could see now why Kyle would want to spend 3 number one picks on the kid. All I can say is Wow!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
not trying to argue, but trying to get you out of the box for a better view. i just see it how it is. A million post for 5-6 months about how you see jimmy vs a hundred post saying he's ok and support him. it's not even. Similar to your post in bold..

You can ask anyone here how they feel about you on the Subject of Jimmy.. Support is something that will hardly come up

Yes I see Jimmy as an avg QB...that has never changed. That is the vast majority of my posts regarding him. He's overpaid for his play and that does affect the whole team. He's inconsistent and we see if every week. I don't have to blindly say everything is good when it isn't. As of late he's playing better then earlier in the year. That's great and I'm happy about that. I've posted that multiple times. Is he playing at some super high level? No I don't think so...but he's playing well enough to help the team get Ws.

I don't even know what you mean by "support him"? I root for him every damn week to play well. I want him to be good. I wanted SF to trade for him and was pumped when he got here. We've now watched him for multiple years and everyone has their view point on what he is. You eat up 12% of the total cap (which is a ton) I expect you to play lights out and make up for lost talent because of where the cash is allocated. If that doesn't matter to some people, cool.

IF we had another avg starting QB making top cash I would be saying the same s**t. Half the people in here are too damn emotional to have a convo on it. They see a post where it's not flat out praising Jimmy, so that means you automatically hate him.
I'm just saying you have a funny way of showing support when you counter any positivity towards jimmy from other fans and constantly remind everyone any QB can do Shanny system, he's an avg QB , He's overpaid , his IAY and Etc. but you will be annoyed if people do that to Trey next year ? doesn't add up if you feel that way but i digress. Would you badger your kid on how avg he/she is 24/7, then on gameday cheer for him/her, then call that Support ?

ok i'm done. i thought you would see it, but i'm failing to help here.
Originally posted by random49er:
You can ask anyone here how they feel about you on the Subject of Jimmy.. Support is something that will hardly come up

Well NY and I had some of the WORST arguments on here until he mentally moved on from him,...I assume, due to his inconsistency. Lol,...so i can personally vouch for how supportive he was of Jimmy.

Now, he's ready for the next chapter,...and just what's wrong with that? He supports him when he watches him on Sundays because just like the rest of us, he wants to win.

Before and after games are going to talk about the good and we are going to talk about the not so good and it's going to be the same exact deal w/Trey.

I don't want people being supportive with fake words instead of sharing what they really think on a messageboard. If I'm at the game with them and the other team has the ball in the 4th for the go ahead score, THAT is when I want to hear their support, regardless of which players they like more than the other.
We are all 9er fans, so of course all of us will be cheering on gameday no matter what.

I'm just saying own it, don't change. Jimmy is still jimmy. he hasn't changed drastically.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I can see Jauan Jennings and Trey Lance doing some sort of fancy razzamatazz trickery here, especially with Jauan being an ex Dual Thread QB like Trey. (Example: Toss to Jauan and then Jauan passes back to Trey)

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/153170-transcripts-what-mike-mcdaniel-demeco-ryans-ahead-49ers-seahawks/
WR Jauan Jennings was a dual-threat quarterback in high school. I don't know if you knew that before dialing that up, but did he earn maybe another crack at that somewhere down the line?
"For sure, everything's up. As you've noticed, if people have skill sets, sometimes it takes us a while to find them, but we try to utilize them. So he did nothing to keep us from doing it in the future. We did know that. The great thing about Jauan is if we ignored that fact, he would have let us know pretty quick. So we knew early that that was in his repertoire."
The more I see Taysom hill, the more I think of Trey Lance.
Trey is in good hands and has all the tangibles and intangibles to be successful. Let hope for some good luck and fortune in the future
This absolutely. I like Jimmy a lot and I certainly think highly of him as our QB more than some here. But Trey is the future of the 49ers. And we have to give all the time he needs to be ready to be our QB#1
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Well, at least we know that Lance at his worst will be Taysom Hill.

Originally posted by BamaNiner:

I can see Mac getting there because he is about football and nothing else. No social media posts during the season while we got Lance doing photo shoots for anyone who asks.

Mac is all football.... clearly

Ever heard of TB12?

That's a Trey Lance stat line if I've ever seen one:
50% comp %
155 yards
1 tiddy and 1 pick
87 yards rushing

10 points

Sounds like there is a lot of value in running the scout team, according to McDaniel. Last week, Trey got to work and improve on being a pocket QB while emulating Cousins. And this week in preparation for RW, trey gets to do the same while also incorporating his athletic abilities. Also gets the benefit of getting different defensive looks.

I can see Mac getting there because he is about football and nothing else. No social media posts during the season while we got Lance doing photo shoots for anyone who asks.

Mac is all football.... clearly

Ever heard of TB12?

Key word is "through attorney". It can't take that much time to tell attorney file a trademark for MJ10.

but it was almost a good "gotcha moment" that NY likes to bring up often lol
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Dec 2, 2021 at 8:26 PM ]

That's a Trey Lance stat line if I've ever seen one:
50% comp %
155 yards
1 tiddy and 1 pick
87 yards rushing

10 points

Hill is terrible. Saints should have stole shannys playbook for Trey and ran him he majority of the game. Maybe they would have had a better shot lol
Share 49ersWebzone