There are 220 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Next year is going to be so interesting. If Jimmy is gone, they'll need to invest in another QB, most likely a veteran, with a very similar skill set to Trey. The whole offense will change and become tailored to his skill set and right now, nobody on the roster has that. I'd hate to have a rookie QB with a similar skill set backing him up in case Trey goes down again.

So if that's the case, who's the veteran backup QB and how much are you willing to pay for that security? It won't be cheap.

Trey would have played had Jimmy not been available, I think that's obvious from how healthy he was at the practice he returned.

A backup is a backup is a backup, the styles don't have to be the same, you can adapt. Kyle has already adapted his offense, once to get Trey in, and again to keep Jimmy passing out of Shotgun and not Play action.

I'm not so sure. Kyle has been building an offense specifically for Trey. That takes all 10 players working within it as well. You don't just go back to a Jimmy-style offense once you turn that corner. We saw how drastically the game plan changed from Jimmy to Trey (rookie). And we already got a hint of more injuries to Trey and like with Jimmy, do you want to be caught with your pants down again with no real backup plan esp. with differing skill sets?
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 4, 2021 at 10:14 AM ]
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Jimmy is getting traded - no matter what happens.

But what if he throws for 350+ yds/game, 4TDs/game, 0 Ints, runs for 100 yds/game and another TD/game, goes undefeated, AND wins the SB?

Yep, still gonna get traded. We'll just get more for him.

Then fans will say he had a "...pretty decent game" and obsess for a week on the one pass that wasn't 100% perfect.

But what if he throws for 350+ yds/game, 4TDs/game, 0 Ints, runs for 100 yds/game and another TD/game, goes undefeated, AND wins the SB?

Then fans will say he had a "...pretty decent game" and obsess for a week on the one pass that wasn't 100% perfect.

Poor passes happen to every qb in the league. My concern is Jimmy not seeing a wide open Kittle downfield and also checking it down to Mitchell on a curl instead of hitting Aiyuk over the top when he beat his man 1v1.

Good thing we all know that would never happen lol

Originally posted by YACBros85:
Poor passes happen to every qb in the league. My concern is Jimmy not seeing a wide open Kittle downfield and also checking it down to Mitchell on a curl instead of hitting Aiyuk over the top when he beat his man 1v1.

That has been Jimmy's MO since he's been here. He's a great dude. I do like him but record these up coming games. I hope we go all the way to the promised land but you can soon count number of games Jimmy has left here on one hand.

We have a long way to go but I sure hope Trey is that electrifying guy you tune into watch each week. The way I enjoy watching Herbert (despite a little set back this year).

I think our offense is going to be insane in two years. And all happy fans with one QB1.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Dec 4, 2021 at 10:39 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Good thing we all know that would never happen lol

Yeah, we're not going to sit Trey for another year. Jimmy will get traded for a first if he wins the Super Bowl.

That would put an insane amount if pressure on Trey and Shanny, the bar would be set very high for his first season as a starter.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Next year is going to be so interesting. If Jimmy is gone, they'll need to invest in another QB, most likely a veteran, with a very similar skill set to Trey. The whole offense will change and become tailored to his skill set and right now, nobody on the roster has that. I'd hate to have a rookie QB with a similar skill set backing him up in case Trey goes down again.

So if that's the case, who's the veteran backup QB and how much are you willing to pay for that security? It won't be cheap.

Trey would have played had Jimmy not been available, I think that's obvious from how healthy he was at the practice he returned.

A backup is a backup is a backup, the styles don't have to be the same, you can adapt. Kyle has already adapted his offense, once to get Trey in, and again to keep Jimmy passing out of Shotgun and not Play action.

I'm not so sure. Kyle has been building an offense specifically for Trey. That takes all 10 players working within it as well. You don't just go back to a Jimmy-style offense once you turn that corner. We saw how drastically the game plan changed from Jimmy to Trey (rookie). And we already got a hint of more injuries to Trey and like with Jimmy, do you want to be caught with your pants down again with no real backup plan esp. with differing skill sets?

Nah. our offense won't look radically different with Trey. If we rebuild our playbook to add dozens of RPO options for Trey then Shanny is a fool and deserves to be fired. We did not draft trey lance to be a human punching bag. Our Play book will not change that much but our offense will change in the distribution of route trees that are called. Shanny will start opening up the field with treys arm strength using timing/outs/deep outs. maybe hell design a naked qb boot or two. But I don't see the QB as a run option 7x per game. No way. Trey's not fast enough to be a premier rpo threat (in the pros). And he is way short at protecting himself. Better to develop him as a pocket passer reading the field than turn him into a fullback with an arm.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
You cannot invest that much in a kid then have him as the backup.

Yes, you can. Yes, the 49ers have done it before. The 1987 trade for Steve Young cost the 49ers a 2nd and a 4th round pick. That was considered a ransom back in that day.

What happened? Young rode the bench for three seasons. He was thrust into the starting role when Joe Montana got injured.

I don't care how many picks the 49ers gave up for Trey Lance. If Garoppolo wins a Super Bowl, he isn't going anywhere. Neither is Lance.

My goodness. Probably best to make the playoffs first.

True. You're absolutely, 101-percent correct. My statement was in response to another post that maintained Jimmy G. would get traded away even IF he won the Super Bowl.

That is the most preposterous statement I've ever read. No Super Bowl winning QB gets traded away OR replaced by another QB.

But, you're right, in order for that to happen, the 49ers have to make the playoffs first.

Yeah, we're not going to sit Trey for another year. Jimmy will get traded for a first if he wins the Super Bowl.

Lol that will sit well with the Bay Area for sure
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Dec 4, 2021 at 10:59 AM ]

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Nah. our offense won't look radically different with Trey. If we rebuild our playbook to add dozens of RPO options for Trey then Shanny is a fool and deserves to be fired. We did not draft trey lance to be a human punching bag. Our Play book will not change that much but our offense will change in the distribution of route trees that are called. Shanny will start opening up the field with treys arm strength using timing/outs/deep outs. maybe hell design a naked qb boot or two. But I don't see the QB as a run option 7x per game. No way. Trey's not fast enough to be a premier rpo threat (in the pros). And he is way short at protecting himself. Better to develop him as a pocket passer reading the field than turn him into a fullback with an arm.

I do see it totally different. Not to open up Trey dashing down the field play after play. That will be used to get us out of some 3rd down situations. I do still see the run attack in heavy play but now we will see many more down field throws.

We all know Kyle demands blocking in this era but George, in my opinion, the WRs, will not have to be used so much as blocking machines and chance injury. Don't think he will ever not run that style offense but if Trey can get it out and complete passes we won't be so dependent on blocking for a huge run game plan.

Trey should open up a whole new look. How can we call Kyle dumb for this when no one has seen it come to life? I can't wait for a new look offense.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

That would put an insane amount if pressure on Trey and Shanny, the bar would be set very high for his first season as a starter.

When the Eagles had a similar situation with Foles, they blew it by not trading him while his stock was high. If we do find ourselves in that situation, hope we don't make the same mistake.

lol you know it too. Maybe the 350+ 4 TDs but not multiple times. 100 yards rushing in a game
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

What did we see in his first start?
Originally posted by billbird2111:
True. You're absolutely, 101-percent correct. My statement was in response to another post that maintained Jimmy G. would get traded away even IF he won the Super Bowl.

That is the most preposterous statement I've ever read. No Super Bowl winning QB gets traded away OR replaced by another QB.

But, you're right, in order for that to happen, the 49ers have to make the playoffs first.

2019 Jimmy would have been gone if Trey was here earlier. Jimmy will not be here. Bank it. That cap savings will go to a nice FA pick up or two. We have our franchise guy and he is currently on the sidelines.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Dec 4, 2021 at 11:07 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone