There are 229 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
True. You're absolutely, 101-percent correct. My statement was in response to another post that maintained Jimmy G. would get traded away even IF he won the Super Bowl.

That is the most preposterous statement I've ever read. No Super Bowl winning QB gets traded away OR replaced by another QB.

But, you're right, in order for that to happen, the 49ers have to make the playoffs first.

I'm pretty sure TRENT DILFER won the Super Bowl and got replaced by our very own ELVIS !!!

Yeah, maybe I am the only one old enough to remember, but this guy says hi also.
True. You're absolutely, 101-percent correct. My statement was in response to another post that maintained Jimmy G. would get traded away even IF he won the Super Bowl.

That is the most preposterous statement I've ever read. No Super Bowl winning QB gets traded away OR replaced by another QB.

But, you're right, in order for that to happen, the 49ers have to make the playoffs first.

I'm pretty sure TRENT DILFER won the Super Bowl and got replaced by our very own ELVIS !!!

Yeah, maybe I am the only one old enough to remember, but this guy says hi also.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
I won't be surprised if JG comes back

I'd be shocked - this is Trey's team next year.

I agree there's a good chance that trey will start at some point next year. But, not week 1. So if not Jimmy starting, some one else.

Why wouldn't Trey be starting week 1? He should be ready to go.

If healthy, Lance is absolutely the starter week 1 in 2022.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I agree there's a good chance that trey will start at some point next year. But, not week 1. So if not Jimmy starting, some one else.

In might happen but it's a long shot. Everybody's forgetting this is a red shirt College sophomore year for Trey Lance. With only 1 aa experience. He should have been targeted for 18 months right from the get-go. That would put him as week 6 7 8 starter. I think that he might need a little more time than that. Unless he has a phenomenal off-season literally working 12 hours a day between now and preseason I really don't expect him to be running the offense come Labor Day. It's not a knock or anything it's just chronology

Yeah, I still think it would be magical if they found some way to reduce Jimmy's pay and keep him on as #2, but don't think he'd ever go for that. If Jimmy helps us win a trophy, great! Maybe his trade value goes up. After this year, he will no longer be the starting QB for us, though.

The OP's point is totally valid. There have been 53 super bowls. How many times has this happened? Come on.

Saying it rarely happens is different from saying it doesn't happen. Some major distinctions include whether or not it is a FQB, how much of the win he is responsible for and what conditions led to him starting.

Yup plus once again salary cap changes things. Lots of SBs before the salary cap became a thing.

I'd ask how many situations like this have been around before after the cap became a thing?? Where you have a top draft pick at QB and a guy who would be going into the last year of his deal.

we're in uncharted waters here. I realize the odds of us winning the SB are slim but I really don't see a way Jimmy is back next year.

Yeah, I still think it would be magical if they found some way to reduce Jimmy's pay and keep him on as #2, but don't think he'd ever go for that. If Jimmy helps us win a trophy, great! Maybe his trade value goes up. After this year, he will no longer be the starting QB for us, though.

He would never do that and you don't want him around for the locker room stuff.
Originally posted by genus49:
Yup plus once again salary cap changes things. Lots of SBs before the salary cap became a thing.

I'd ask how many situations like this have been around before after the cap became a thing?? Where you have a top draft pick at QB and a guy who would be going into the last year of his deal.

we're in uncharted waters here. I realize the odds of us winning the SB are slim but I really don't see a way Jimmy is back next year.

LLooking at the salary cap agreed. But if Jimmy plays well and takes us into the second round I don't see us getting rid of him either. Who knows what will happen but perhaps both sides will find a way to figure it out
Originally posted by YACBros85:
You cannot invest that much in a kid then have him as the backup.

Yes, you can. Yes, the 49ers have done it before. The 1987 trade for Steve Young cost the 49ers a 2nd and a 4th round pick. That was considered a ransom back in that day.

What happened? Young rode the bench for three seasons. He was thrust into the starting role when Joe Montana got injured.

I don't care how many picks the 49ers gave up for Trey Lance. If Garoppolo wins a Super Bowl, he isn't going anywhere. Neither is Lance.

My goodness. Probably best to make the playoffs first.

So if we don't trade Jimmy if we win the sb, how do we extend Deebo and Bosa? Do we let one of them walk? It seems more preposterous to let one of them walk then to trade Jimmy after a sb win. Especially after spending 3 first round draft picks on a QB.

R.E.S.T.R.U.C.T.U.R.E

So you think Jimmy will take a paycut after winning a sb?

First of all, we are not winning a super bowl this year guys. Our defense and special teams are too erratic. Sorry to put a damper on things.

BUT if Jimmy gets us out of the first round, maybe the second...?...

If Jimmy throws 1 pick every 3 games between now and playoffs?

1 fumble every five games...?....

Oh yea baby.

He back.

Well obviously it was a hypothetical and the chances of winning the sb this year is slim to none.

I dont think we need to get to the big show to have jimmy come back for 2022. He just has to play low turnover football and make 3rd down throws. That's it.

I just don't see Jimmy coming back. Its more about what's best for Jimmy in Jimmy's mind than it is about what's best for the team. Jimmy gets a new contract with another team. I just cannot see him getting a new contract with the 49ers due to players like Bosa and Deebo in line for new deals.

Maybe. but I think it's all about how everything plays out.

People trying to sell the "Jimmy is garbage he needs to get tossed good riddance" story just have an agenda with no bearing on reality.

If jimmy plays ok, he gets a chance to do this again in 2022. Period.

I cant believe so many are still chirping away here and in the Jimmy thread. Mods have totally blown this and let these rude, inaccurate arguments go on far far too long which I am sure has discouraged a lot of readers here.

Tua and Winston both being in the top 9 just shows how trash of a stat QBR is.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

Yes, you can. Yes, the 49ers have done it before. The 1987 trade for Steve Young cost the 49ers a 2nd and a 4th round pick. That was considered a ransom back in that day.

What happened? Young rode the bench for three seasons. He was thrust into the starting role when Joe Montana got injured.

I don't care how many picks the 49ers gave up for Trey Lance. If Garoppolo wins a Super Bowl, he isn't going anywhere. Neither is Lance.

So if we don't trade Jimmy if we win the sb, how do we extend Deebo and Bosa? Do we let one of them walk? It seems more preposterous to let one of them walk then to trade Jimmy after a sb win. Especially after spending 3 first round draft picks on a QB.

R.E.S.T.R.U.C.T.U.R.E

First of all, we are not winning a super bowl this year guys. Our defense and special teams are too erratic. Sorry to put a damper on things.

Oh yea baby.

He back.

Well obviously it was a hypothetical and the chances of winning the sb this year is slim to none.

I dont think we need to get to the big show to have jimmy come back for 2022. He just has to play low turnover football and make 3rd down throws. That's it.

I just don't see Jimmy coming back. Its more about what's best for Jimmy in Jimmy's mind than it is about what's best for the team. Jimmy gets a new contract with another team. I just cannot see him getting a new contract with the 49ers due to players like Bosa and Deebo in line for new deals.

People trying to sell the "Jimmy is garbage he needs to get tossed good riddance" story just have an agenda with no bearing on reality.

I cant believe so many are still chirping away here and in the Jimmy thread. Mods have totally blown this and let these rude, inaccurate arguments go on far far too long which I am sure has discouraged a lot of readers here.

Ok. Hes number 12 nfl. I suppose that's a trash stat too. Or maybe he's just playing pretty well by not losing a lot of yards with sacks and keeping the turnovers down. Maybe that counts for something in the quarterback ratings to besides 50-yard bombs

Jimmy definitely not staying here to be Treys back up. Too many other places where he can earn top 15 starter money
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

R.E.S.T.R.U.C.T.U.R.E

Oh yea baby.

He back.

Limited games.
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
So then he's soft. That caused him to miss 2.5 weeks

Just in case anyone missed his latest update on Lance since Alabama's currently playing...

Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
We don't even know how the season will play out. All the trade or keeping Jimmy speculation is silly. Stuff changes quick in the NFL. As evidenced by this season lol

*knocks on wood* Jimmy could crash and burn the rest of the season, or God forbid, gets injured again and never sees the field again in 9er Jersey.

Yeah the talking heads simply need to keep talking,...since it's kinda their job.

Shame on those that really give a crap what they're saying though when we have 6 whole games plus the playoffs to show us what's what.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
So then he's soft. That caused him to miss 2.5 weeks

Just in case anyone missed his latest update on Lance since Alabama's currently playing...

Share 49ersWebzone