There are 227 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
So then he's soft. That caused him to miss 2.5 weeks

Just in case anyone missed his latest update on Lance since Alabama's currently playing...

Correct. We should've drafted to bolster a championship roster this year, then use all that ammo next year for someone actually worth that capital, Bryce Young…as I've opined all year
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Damn, now Peter King feeding the media and fans that Garoppolo might stay in 2022? Brace yourself. You know he's not putting that out there unless he's already talked to ShanaLynch who he's VERY well connected with. It lines up with Jed's original comments too.

I don't personally believe it yet but now I'm not going to even remotely rule it out.

Yeah, and everybody thought ShanaLYnch will choose Mac Jones. I don't believe it. The cap says I don't believe it.

I think it's another way for ShanaLynch to prop up Jimmy's value.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Nah. our offense won't look radically different with Trey. If we rebuild our playbook to add dozens of RPO options for Trey then Shanny is a fool and deserves to be fired. We did not draft trey lance to be a human punching bag. Our Play book will not change that much but our offense will change in the distribution of route trees that are called. Shanny will start opening up the field with treys arm strength using timing/outs/deep outs. maybe hell design a naked qb boot or two. But I don't see the QB as a run option 7x per game. No way. Trey's not fast enough to be a premier rpo threat (in the pros). And he is way short at protecting himself. Better to develop him as a pocket passer reading the field than turn him into a fullback with an arm.

I do see it totally different. Not to open up Trey dashing down the field play after play. That will be used to get us out of some 3rd down situations. I do still see the run attack in heavy play but now we will see many more down field throws.

We all know Kyle demands blocking in this era but George, in my opinion, the WRs, will not have to be used so much as blocking machines and chance injury. Don't think he will ever not run that style offense but if Trey can get it out and complete passes we won't be so dependent on blocking for a huge run game plan.

Trey should open up a whole new look. How can we call Kyle dumb for this when no one has seen it come to life? I can't wait for a new look offense.

Brodie is in for a rude awakening if he doesn't think this offense will look totally different. I don't necessarily mean better (hopefully) or worse but different in style, play calls, timing, volume swings, off schedule, etc.

Is "off schedule" a play design now?

What do you see changing in the proportion of pass/run? Other than changes in first option/route trees? How many times do you see shanny calling run for Trey per game? less than 3 imo.

From Garoppolo to Trey, that's going to be massively different for two reasons:
1. Athletic QB's rely on that instinct far more
2. It'll happen more because he's a rookie and will struggle trusting what he's seeing

Oh, you're talking run/pass ratio. I was merely talking passing plays. Yes, the ratio should be very similar.

if anything, I see shanny calling more pass plays for lance, because he has a bigger cannon. This will be another way to set up inside zone and power -- by stretching out the back 7 with timing routes out side the hashes.

But I do agree i see a the rookie panicking and bailing a lot more. So that will be a different "look".

Meh, I don't see Trey panicking (assuming Kyle judges that Trey has mastered the offense sufficiently to take over as QB 1) as long as he has Mitchell and Deebo (i.e. a good strong run game) I don't remember hearing stories of Dak panicking his rookie year with that monster run game and OLine that he had. Give Trey a good OLIne (the one Jimmy has now would seem to fit the bill) and a healthy Mitchell and Deebo, and the panic would be on the defensive side, not the offensive side.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Nah. our offense won't look radically different with Trey. If we rebuild our playbook to add dozens of RPO options for Trey then Shanny is a fool and deserves to be fired. We did not draft trey lance to be a human punching bag. Our Play book will not change that much but our offense will change in the distribution of route trees that are called. Shanny will start opening up the field with treys arm strength using timing/outs/deep outs. maybe hell design a naked qb boot or two. But I don't see the QB as a run option 7x per game. No way. Trey's not fast enough to be a premier rpo threat (in the pros). And he is way short at protecting himself. Better to develop him as a pocket passer reading the field than turn him into a fullback with an arm.

I do see it totally different. Not to open up Trey dashing down the field play after play. That will be used to get us out of some 3rd down situations. I do still see the run attack in heavy play but now we will see many more down field throws.

We all know Kyle demands blocking in this era but George, in my opinion, the WRs, will not have to be used so much as blocking machines and chance injury. Don't think he will ever not run that style offense but if Trey can get it out and complete passes we won't be so dependent on blocking for a huge run game plan.

Trey should open up a whole new look. How can we call Kyle dumb for this when no one has seen it come to life? I can't wait for a new look offense.

Brodie is in for a rude awakening if he doesn't think this offense will look totally different. I don't necessarily mean better (hopefully) or worse but different in style, play calls, timing, volume swings, off schedule, etc.

What do you see changing in the proportion of pass/run? Other than changes in first option/route trees? How many times do you see shanny calling run for Trey per game? less than 3 imo.

2. It'll happen more because he's a rookie and will struggle trusting what he's seeing

Oh, you're talking run/pass ratio. I was merely talking passing plays. Yes, the ratio should be very similar.

if anything, I see shanny calling more pass plays for lance, because he has a bigger cannon. This will be another way to set up inside zone and power -- by stretching out the back 7 with timing routes out side the hashes.

But I do agree i see a the rookie panicking and bailing a lot more. So that will be a different "look".

Meh, I don't see Trey panicking (assuming Kyle judges that Trey has mastered the offense sufficiently to take over as QB 1) as long as he has Mitchell and Deebo (i.e. a good strong run game) I don't remember hearing stories of Dak panicking his rookie year with that monster run game and OLine that he had. Give Trey a good OLIne (the one Jimmy has now would seem to fit the bill) and a healthy Mitchell and Deebo, and the panic would be on the defensive side, not the offensive side.

Come on now, Dak went through the SEC gauntlet undermanned, completely different than going through one year of the horizon league with more talent than everybody else on the schedule
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
You cannot invest that much in a kid then have him as the backup.

Yes, you can. Yes, the 49ers have done it before. The 1987 trade for Steve Young cost the 49ers a 2nd and a 4th round pick. That was considered a ransom back in that day.

What happened? Young rode the bench for three seasons. He was thrust into the starting role when Joe Montana got injured.

I don't care how many picks the 49ers gave up for Trey Lance. If Garoppolo wins a Super Bowl, he isn't going anywhere. Neither is Lance.

My goodness. Probably best to make the playoffs first.

True. You're absolutely, 101-percent correct. My statement was in response to another post that maintained Jimmy G. would get traded away even IF he won the Super Bowl.

That is the most preposterous statement I've ever read. No Super Bowl winning QB gets traded away OR replaced by another QB.

But, you're right, in order for that to happen, the 49ers have to make the playoffs first.

So if we don't trade Jimmy if we win the sb, how do we extend Deebo and Bosa? Do we let one of them walk? It seems more preposterous to let one of them walk then to trade Jimmy after a sb win. Especially after spending 3 first round draft picks on a QB.

R.E.S.T.R.U.C.T.U.R.E

So you think Jimmy will take a paycut after winning a sb?

First of all, we are not winning a super bowl this year guys. Our defense and special teams are too erratic. Sorry to put a damper on things.

BUT if Jimmy gets us out of the first round, maybe the second...?...

If Jimmy throws 1 pick every 3 games between now and playoffs?

1 fumble every five games...?....

Oh yea baby.

He back.

Well obviously it was a hypothetical and the chances of winning the sb this year is slim to none.

I dont think we need to get to the big show to have jimmy come back for 2022. He just has to play low turnover football and make 3rd down throws. That's it.

I just don't see Jimmy coming back. Its more about what's best for Jimmy in Jimmy's mind than it is about what's best for the team. Jimmy gets a new contract with another team. I just cannot see him getting a new contract with the 49ers due to players like Bosa and Deebo in line for new deals.

Maybe. but I think it's all about how everything plays out.

People trying to sell the "Jimmy is garbage he needs to get tossed good riddance" story just have an agenda with no bearing on reality.

If jimmy plays ok, he gets a chance to do this again in 2022. Period.

I cant believe so many are still chirping away here and in the Jimmy thread. Mods have totally blown this and let these rude, inaccurate arguments go on far far too long which I am sure has discouraged a lot of readers here.

I can see Jimmy coming back as QB 1 -- *if* Jed York -- demands it. I think he is the only one that can override ShanaLynch. We saw that with Jimmy vs Brady and Kraft took Tom's side.

Personally, I don't see Jed intervening in football matters, he's been pretty good with that since the Haarbalke regime.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Come on now, Dak went through the SEC gauntlet undermanned, completely different than going through one year of the horizon league with more talent than everybody else on the schedule

I think practicing against the 7th ranked pass defense in the NFL is a bit better than playing against the so called SEC Gauntlet for a whole year, don't you think?
Damn, now Peter King feeding the media and fans that Garoppolo might stay in 2022? Brace yourself. You know he's not putting that out there unless he's already talked to ShanaLynch who he's VERY well connected with. It lines up with Jed's original comments too.

I don't personally believe it yet but now I'm not going to even remotely rule it out.

Yeah, and everybody thought ShanaLYnch will choose Mac Jones. I don't believe it. The cap says I don't believe it.

Surely, but it would be foolish to say JG would be gone if he won us the SB. And i still think they have to evaluate trey fully before cutting ties with JG.
Just because we paid three 1sts for trey, is no guarantee he will be our fair haired boy, aka legit starter. Suppose he isn't and we cut ties w/ JG? Then what? I thot we were going to play the #13 card and take whoever it was, Fields.,Trey, or Mack, wait a yr and see how he turned out. When we used 3 1st picks on Trey with his scarcity of PT, and none in the BIGs in college, i was floored. But we did so I am hoping he is who they thot he was. Ok, i am praying.

And I'm not kidding about that.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Dec 4, 2021 at 2:57 PM ]

I think practicing against the 7th ranked pass defense in the NFL is a bit better than playing against the so called SEC Gauntlet for a whole year, don't you think?

Lol absolutely not. You know he isn't actually getting hit in practice. There isn't crowds.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Surely, but it would be foolish to say JG would be gone if he won us the SB. And i still think they have to evaluate trey fully before cutting ties with JG.
Just because we paid three 1sts for trey, is no guarantee he will be our fair haired boy, aka legit starter. Suppose he isn't and we cut ties w/ JG? Then what? I thot we were going to play the #13 card and take whoever it was, Fields.,Trey, or Mack, wait a yr and see how he turned out. When we used 3 1st picks on Trey with his scarcity of PT, and none in the BIGs in college, i was floored. But we did so I am hoping he is who they thot he was. Ok, i am praying.

Kyle Shanahan is confident AF! What better way to cement his legendary coaching fame than winning a super bowl with Jimmy and then winning another one with Trey (or at least making the playoffs the next year).

Just kidding.

I agree, if Jimmy won the super bowl, I think there is a good chance Jimmy will stay as the 49er QB, but again, winning the super bowl is *no guarantee* he is staying with the 49ers in 2022. Aside from the cap, there has been many instances where the super bowl wining QB was let go the following season or soon thereafter. And I really do think Kyle is confident as hell that he can develop QB's - and somebody with Trey's skill set is something that Kyle is just waiting and drooling over. I mean even I, a football nincompoop (compared to AB81, NY85, NCommand, MadDog, Thl, JD etc...), can see how Trey will impact and expand Kyle's offense and pretty much make it unstoppable.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Lol absolutely not. You know he isn't actually getting hit in practice. There isn't crowds.

And you know this from personal experience? because if its not, then it's just your *opinion* vs *fact.*

And you know this from personal experience? because if its not, then it's just your *opinion* vs *fact.*

You should just trust me on a few things and they won't come as a huge surprise when they come true.
Originally posted by random49er:
So then he's soft. That caused him to miss 2.5 weeks

Just in case anyone missed his latest update on Lance since Alabama's currently playing...

trey is gonna be awesome, and when he's the starter next year, bamaniner will no longer be on the wz

good times ahead
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

You should just trust me on a few things and they won't come as a huge surprise when they come true.

I hear that from CCiowa and Susweel all the time. No problem. They are still my buds, even though I vehemently disagree with most of their perspective on things.
How in depth do you think the scouting team goes when trying to emulate the opposing team? Is it just formations, personnel and scheme? Or is for say, Trey studying the opposing QB at all?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
How in depth do you think the scouting team goes when trying to emulate the opposing team? Is it just formations, personnel and scheme? Or is for say, Trey studying the opposing QB at all?

I would think Trey would operate the opposing teams primary offensive sets (via down, distance, and situational football - for example - goal line, 2 minute, 4 minute) offense. As Mike said in the press conference, they are having Trey emulate the opposing QB's style of play - and that will help Trey develop his own style of play. As for studying QB's, he can't get a better example of what it is to be an NFL QB than Jimmy who's played behind Tom for three years. But for sure, he'll study Russel or Cousins to replicate their QB style of play so the first string defense knows where to align and what to anticipate during the game.
Share 49ersWebzone