Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 202 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by YACBros85:
How in depth do you think the scouting team goes when trying to emulate the opposing team? Is it just formations, personnel and scheme? Or is for say, Trey studying the opposing QB at all?

They mainly just wear the opposing players jersey # and run the plays they are going to run at about 3/4 speed just to get a look at the blocking schemes, pre snap sets, route trees, etc.
Trey simply does exactly what their qb would do in a controlled environment. He doesn't get hit or anything like that.
[ Edited by BamaNiner on Dec 4, 2021 at 4:03 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
If healthy, Lance is absolutely the starter week 1 in 2022.

I wouldn't bet your house on that or anything Too many variables to say for sure what will happen. First and foremast is how will the rest of this season play out. If by some stroke of luck the team makes it as far as the Championship game, or further, they might well consider holding on to Jimmy for another year with the idea of maybe moving him at the October trade deadline depending on how Lance develops.

It seems to me that they would have to be convinced before training camp that Lance would definitely be an upgrade at the position and given the opportunity to do so would definitely beat Jimmy out in an open competition for the job. Not just give him the edge because of the draft capital they gave up to get him but actually demonstrate that he is the better QB. Otherwise why would the team see it as a benefit to weaken themselves at the position.

Still I expect that the most likely scenario is that Jimmy gets moved before the new league year starts so that they can try and unload some of his salary and just trust the fact that they believe their assessment of Lance is correct.Time will tell I guess.
Originally posted by 49ers81:

I wouldn't bet your house on that or anything Too many variables to say for sure what will happen. First and foremast is how will the rest of this season play out. If by some stroke of luck the team makes it as far as the Championship game, or further, they might well consider holding on to Jimmy for another year with the idea of maybe moving him at the October trade deadline depending on how Lance develops.

It seems to me that they would have to be convinced before training camp that Lance would definitely be an upgrade at the position and given the opportunity to do so would definitely beat Jimmy out in an open competition for the job. Not just give him the edge because of the draft capital they gave up to get him but actually demonstrate that he is the better QB. Otherwise why would the team see it as a benefit to weaken themselves at the position.

Still I expect that the most likely scenario is that Jimmy gets moved before the new league year starts so that they can try and unload some of his salary and just trust the fact that they believe their assessment of Lance is correct.Time will tell I guess.

If he's not starting game 1 we have real problems. It would mean my prediction of him simply not being able to play from an nfl pocket would be true. At that point it's just a sink cost and you move on.
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
Originally posted by random49er:
So then he's soft. That caused him to miss 2.5 weeks

Just in case anyone missed his latest update on Lance since Alabama's currently playing...

Correct. We should've drafted to bolster a championship roster this year, then use all that ammo next year for someone actually worth that capital, Bryce Young…as I've opined all year

What championship roster? We aren't even going to win our division. Absolutely pumped that we have turned things around and may be able to sneak into the playoffs, but dude….Obviously, anything can happen once we are in there, but this take on a championship roster is like a kid waiting for Santa. That means you were banking on guys like Dee Ford, Jason Verett and Raheem Mostert to stay healthy, Arik Armstaed, Mike McGlinchey, Josh Norman to produce, and Jimmy Garoppolo to carry the team on his back when it struggled. Holy flawed thinking!

[ Edited by NotAFinga42 on Dec 4, 2021 at 5:07 PM ]
You should just trust me on a few things and they won't come as a huge surprise when they come true.

If he's not starting game 1 we have real problems. It would mean my prediction of him simply not being able to play from an nfl pocket would be true. At that point it's just a sink cost and you move on.

Not necessarily. He has the advantage of being really young, what is he 21, 22? They could easily go into camp with both he and Jimmy for one more year to give him more time to develop. He would still only be 23 if he took over the following year. However, having said that I still fully expect Jimmy will be moved in the off season for economic reasons, they have contracts coming up they will need to start planning for, I just don't see anything in that situation as an absolute guaranty one way or the other.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Nah. our offense won't look radically different with Trey. If we rebuild our playbook to add dozens of RPO options for Trey then Shanny is a fool and deserves to be fired. We did not draft trey lance to be a human punching bag. Our Play book will not change that much but our offense will change in the distribution of route trees that are called. Shanny will start opening up the field with treys arm strength using timing/outs/deep outs. maybe hell design a naked qb boot or two. But I don't see the QB as a run option 7x per game. No way. Trey's not fast enough to be a premier rpo threat (in the pros). And he is way short at protecting himself. Better to develop him as a pocket passer reading the field than turn him into a fullback with an arm.

I do see it totally different. Not to open up Trey dashing down the field play after play. That will be used to get us out of some 3rd down situations. I do still see the run attack in heavy play but now we will see many more down field throws.

We all know Kyle demands blocking in this era but George, in my opinion, the WRs, will not have to be used so much as blocking machines and chance injury. Don't think he will ever not run that style offense but if Trey can get it out and complete passes we won't be so dependent on blocking for a huge run game plan.

Trey should open up a whole new look. How can we call Kyle dumb for this when no one has seen it come to life? I can't wait for a new look offense.

Brodie is in for a rude awakening if he doesn't think this offense will look totally different. I don't necessarily mean better (hopefully) or worse but different in style, play calls, timing, volume swings, off schedule, etc.

Is "off schedule" a play design now?

What do you see changing in the proportion of pass/run? Other than changes in first option/route trees? How many times do you see shanny calling run for Trey per game? less than 3 imo.

From Garoppolo to Trey, that's going to be massively different for two reasons:
1. Athletic QB's rely on that instinct far more
2. It'll happen more because he's a rookie and will struggle trusting what he's seeing

Oh, you're talking run/pass ratio. I was merely talking passing plays. Yes, the ratio should be very similar.

if anything, I see shanny calling more pass plays for lance, because he has a bigger cannon. This will be another way to set up inside zone and power -- by stretching out the back 7 with timing routes out side the hashes.

But I do agree i see a the rookie panicking and bailing a lot more. So that will be a different "look".

Meh, I don't see Trey panicking (assuming Kyle judges that Trey has mastered the offense sufficiently to take over as QB 1) as long as he has Mitchell and Deebo (i.e. a good strong run game) I don't remember hearing stories of Dak panicking his rookie year with that monster run game and OLine that he had. Give Trey a good OLIne (the one Jimmy has now would seem to fit the bill) and a healthy Mitchell and Deebo, and the panic would be on the defensive side, not the offensive side.

Come on now, Dak went through the SEC gauntlet undermanned, completely different than going through one year of the horizon league with more talent than everybody else on the schedule

I think practicing against the 7th ranked pass defense in the NFL is a bit better than playing against the so called SEC Gauntlet for a whole year, don't you think?

Lol absolutely not. You know he isn't actually getting hit in practice. There isn't crowds.

And you know this from personal experience? because if its not, then it's just your *opinion* vs *fact.*

You should just trust me on a few things and they won't come as a huge surprise when they come true.

Go away already lol

I feel dirty agreeing with Bama, but I agree with this. Not necessarily for the same reasons, though.

If Trey isn't starting next year, you have to keep JG. One of the greatest benefits of having a QB on a rookie contract, is that you can fill out the rest of the roster with money that would otherwise go to the QB. If Trey isn't starting next year, you have now lost 40% of his rookie contract savings (assuming fifth year option). It's a significant possibility year three won't be great either, since a) Lance won't have had significant & important regular season playtime, and b) Lance will be three years removed from any important reps at all. So, in all likelihood you have lost 60% of his rookie contract savings, if we assume year three won't be full of stellar performances (it may or may not, but herein let's assume it will be fairly bumpy). You are now in 2023, have other players who are older, other players requiring new contracts, unforeseen injuries, and so on.

I just don't see how it's prudent to stick with JG next year, regardless of what transpires from here on out. Further, anything that forces the 49ers to keep JG, likely also suggests something bad re Lance. And, that would be a sunk cost I don't want to think about.
Waaaay too much speculation. Let the year play out. Enjoy it. The speculation should start the day after we're out of the playoffs. I see a lot of possibilities. The least likely one is Trey Lance winning the starting quarterback job by Week 1.
Waaaay too much speculation. Let the year play out. Enjoy it. The speculation should start the day after we're out of the playoffs. I see a lot of possibilities. The least likely one is Trey Lance winning the starting quarterback job by Week 1.

lol

Waaaay too much speculation. Let the year play out. Enjoy it. The speculation should start the day after we're out of the playoffs.

Common ground.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Lol absolutely not. You know he isn't actually getting hit in practice. There isn't crowds.

And you know this from personal experience? because if its not, then it's just your *opinion* vs *fact.*

Go away already lol

I can only imagine the flak I'd have received if I said I legitimately was considering just switching to being a Pats fan.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 4, 2021 at 7:34 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Not necessarily. He has the advantage of being really young, what is he 21, 22? They could easily go into camp with both he and Jimmy for one more year to give him more time to develop. He would still only be 23 if he took over the following year. However, having said that I still fully expect Jimmy will be moved in the off season for economic reasons, they have contracts coming up they will need to start planning for, I just don't see anything in that situation as an absolute guaranty one way or the other.

If Kyle thinks he can win games with Lance, I think Jimmy will be traded. So like in the case of Dak, he was surrounded by a good ground game and a good OLine. If Kyle thinks he can surround Trey with the kind of talent that Dak had - so long as Trey is a credible enough passer for Kyle's offense - and can win enough games to get into the playoffs next year, Trey doesn't have to be Jimmy-like in his passing ability. In other words, if Trey's running ability and off schedule mobility tips the balance between Jimmy's elite passing talent but lack of mobility and arm talent - I think Trey has a shot (maybe even a good shot) at the starting QB in 2022. We shall see.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
How in depth do you think the scouting team goes when trying to emulate the opposing team? Is it just formations, personnel and scheme? Or is for say, Trey studying the opposing QB at all?

They mainly just wear the opposing players jersey # and run the plays they are going to run at about 3/4 speed just to get a look at the blocking schemes, pre snap sets, route trees, etc.
Trey simply does exactly what their qb would do in a controlled environment. He doesn't get hit or anything like that.

You got a source on how the 49ers choose to use/run their scout team?

Given what I have seen from your history of trolling/posting for reactions requires a source to be believed.
is he developed yet?
Share 49ersWebzone