Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 206 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Afrikan:
We had 4 downs to score on that last sequence. Yet we ran Mitchell up the middle toward a bunch of Seahawks expecting it, two times in a row.

I know Kyle doesn't want to hurt Jimmy's fragile ego, but Trey should have been out there for a play or two. Even if we were going to run it with Mitchell on one or two of those plays.

What makes you think Garoppolo has a fragile ego?
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
We had 4 downs to score on that last sequence. Yet we ran Mitchell up the middle toward a bunch of Seahawks expecting it, two times in a row.

I know Kyle doesn't want to hurt Jimmy's fragile ego, but Trey should have been out there for a play or two. Even if we were going to run it with Mitchell on one or two of those plays.

What makes you think Garoppolo has a fragile ego?

Jimmy made some offhand public comments many weeks back about how Trey being out there isn't good for him.

And since those comments, Trey hasn't took ONE snap in meaningful moments in games. It started that very next week I believe.

Kyle, after constantly being asked about Trey since then, has to come out to say that having Trey out there throws of *Kyle's* rhythm. We know damn well it's really Jimmy he's talking about, but can't say that because again... we've heard for awhile now that Jimmy has had issues getting mentally ready for games.

I mean man.. having Trey, the QB that you traded 1st rd picks for... the future of the franchise, THIS GUY throws off your rhythm as a head coach? And you say that publicly when asked why Trey isn't out there for even one play? It was BS. It is NOT a coincidence. Again Trey, IN ALL OF OUR SCENARIOS where he could have been helpful to our offense since then... has not got ONE play. Not one. The only time he came in was to run out the clock in a blow out.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 5, 2021 at 6:52 PM ]

This was a product of all that criticism for clock management vs the Packers. He was criticized for scoring too early but he solved that problem here by not scoring at all.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

This was a product of all that criticism for clock management vs the Packers. He was criticized for scoring too early but he solved that problem here by not scoring at all.

I always felt when you are down 3pts... sure.. you take time off, do what you have to do... because you're in fieldgoal range anyway.

But when you are down 4+ pts.... you score the TD when you can, because you are not guaranteed to get a TD. So many things can go wrong late in downs... a holding call.. a tipped pass .... alot of things.

So just get the TD and play defense... sure don't rush to the line... but dont just run it up the middle to waste clocks and downs. If you want to run it up the middle, spread them the hell out... and let your RB have more options to where he wants to go, to see more. And if they still stack the box, then hit them with a WR screen, or a fake screen for a TD.

And that's with just Jimmy.. that would have gave us a better chance.

But if you also throw Trey in a situation like that.. lots of space for Mitchell or Trey to work with. Hell you could call a QB draw/power with Trey, and Mitchell/Jeff Wilson leading the way.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 5, 2021 at 7:05 PM ]

I had that same thought in my head. I feel like he was playing so slow to ensure RW didn't beat us he shot himself in the foot.

I always felt when you are down 3pts... sure.. you take time off, do what you have to do... because you're in fieldgoal range anyway.

But when you are down 4+ pts.... you score the TD when you can, because you are not guaranteed to get a TD. So many things can go wrong late in downs... a holding call.. a tipped pass .... alot of things.

So just get the TD and play defense... sure don't rush to the line... but dont just run it up the middle to waste clocks and downs. If you want to run it up the middle, spread them the hell out... and let your RB have more options to where he wants to go, to see more. And if they still stack the box, then hit them with a WR screen, or a fake screen for a TD.

And that's with just Jimmy.. that would have gave us a better chance.

But if you also throw Trey in a situation like that.. lots of space for Mitchell or Trey to work with. Hell you could call a QB draw/power with Trey, and Mitchell/Jeff Wilson leading the way.

This is one of the reasons we drafted Trey imo you don't want to drop back JG in a goal to go the field is condensed in like 1 second all the routes are done and when the play is off schedule JG can't do anything. KS should have dialed up a shovel pass to Kittle no way they are tackling him and JG doesn't have to read anything.
I'm sure Lance could of handed off 40x and made 1 read wide open throws like Jimmy did the past 3 weeks.
I actually think we're in a good spot to start Trey. Screw all the "let Jimmy play to see if we can get a good draft pick!" I got news for you all...we ain't getting a good pick for him. Whether jimmy plays well or not is inconsequential. GMs and coaches will see this game, Colts game, eagles game, cardinals game and all the injuries he's had. They'll offer a 4th or 3rd at best.

We're in a prime spot to start Trey. We're 6-6 and if he plays well and gets us into the playoffs...great! If he doesn't, atleast he gets good experience for next season. Let Trey get us into the playoffs. It will do wonders for his and the teams psyche down the road. So what if jimmy leads us to a 9-8 record and we lose in the first round. That does nothing for the team or Trey. Jimmy leaves and we're left with a bag of doughnuts.

Jimmy had to win out to salvage a second round pick and that didn't happen. I'm not certain we beat the bengals and certainly not the rams for round 2. It's a win-win for Trey to finish the season imo.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He doesn't even play at all anymore. Not even 3rd and 1 or goal line or gadget plays. Just absolutely nothing. Going backwards and regressing badly.

Not at all. I believe Kyle when he says switching QBs effects the game flow. I still think we make the playoffs, so not counting on seeing Trey until next year. Disappointed, but I understand it.
[ Edited by NotAFinga42 on Dec 5, 2021 at 8:44 PM ]
Jimmy played okay today, well enough to win that's for sure.

Jimmy g sucks.
Could've used a package utilizing threat of him running on the goal line in the 4th
Originally posted by Silky:
I actually think we're in a good spot to start Trey. Screw all the "let Jimmy play to see if we can get a good draft pick!" I got news for you all...we ain't getting a good pick for him. ...

.... Jimmy had to win out to salvage a second round pick and that didn't happen. I'm not certain we beat the bengals and certainly not the rams for round 2. It's a win-win for Trey to finish the season imo.

Originally posted by random49er:

Is that Jimmy on the safety?
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Could've used a package utilizing threat of him running on the goal line in the 4th

He would get stuffed at the goal line anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone