Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 233 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
This season is lost. Even if we make the playoffs it will be one and out. Play the kid. Give him the experience and reduce the timeframe for the pains that come with a rookie qb. It's not rocket science when you have a poor starting Qb. Jimmy is done. For the love of god lets move on to the future.

Still in a playoff spot right now, so I doubt that happens. Outside of Jimmy getting injured or losing a couple games in a row, Jimmy is gonna be the starter.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Virtually zero film on him. It just might be enough to get us in the playoffs (Kaepernick-effect).

I want to see Trey but at this point they are still in the playoff hunt. I don't see Kyle turning over the team to a QB with so little experience. I know he could try it and go back to JG if it didn't work but the message it would send to the team isn't good.

Playoff hunt or not ask yourself how far would this team advance with a bunch of holes on the defense N a poor special teams advance?
Jimmy Bumroppolo isn't capable of putting this team on his shoulders to make a Superbowl run. He couldn't get the job done with the #2 ranked defense we had in 19' what makes u think he can do it with less talented defense this year. Shanahan needs to roll the dice N see what Lance is capable of at least he gets his feet wet to start next year.
https://www.outsports.com/2021/12/3/22812831/trey-lance-my-cause-cleats-gay-fellowship-of-christian-athletes

JMO: "Maybe it's going over my head... forgive me if I missed something critical in the article and feel free to correct me on my oversight. I believe everyone has the right to live their life however they choose as long as it's not hurting someone else or imposing on someone else's freedoms. Having said that... this is a Christian organization that's founded on spiritual/religious beliefs. I have been to many churches and none of them believed in or supported same sex relationships. And, none of them would allow you to be the pastor if you didn't actually believe in the the principles that they are founded on. Period. How is this any different. I'm not gay but if I held a leadership position in my church, I would be relieved of it if I was found to be having sex before marriage. They would say I wasn't fit to lead because I'm living in sin. I can understand someone being offended because the life they live on a day to day basis is deemed as sinful and wrong, but then why isn't this a condemnation for like 85 to 90 percent of Christian churches? Why is the focus on FCA? How is it different? If the answer is because it isn't technically a church, then we're just splitting hairs... the title says it all. It's a Christian Organization based on it's religious beliefs. I wouldn't expect to be a leader in a vegan/animal rights based organization if I still ate meat. I don't see the issue. "
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Trey is careful with the football and should not turn it over like bad JG we just saw

If Trey starts we are a run team that grinds the opponent down.

Basically the same style we already win with.

The only question is can Trey convert the 3rd downs consistently.

And you know this how exactly, based on his college tape? I seem to recall that Lance had his share of picks and "turnover worthy" plays in pre-season, which is no slam on him, it's just life in the NFL after coming from a Division II school and not being used to the coverages the big boys have to offer. Also, for those saying that Lance could also have been 6-6 as a starting QB, yeah, maybe, but that is also something that lives in the realm of the completely unknowable and unproveable and is based on nothing but speculation. It certainly isn't evident based on his one start against the Cardinals. Again, I have no issue with Lance. I hope he turns out to be great, but the degree of magical thinking that has evolved around him since he was drafted is really quite astounding.

For every poster who's said they believe Lance would play better than Jimmy there's at least 10 posters saying they know we wouldn't make the playoffs or that this season would be wasted if we started the rookie.

My stance from the beginning has always been… I don't know what we would get from Lance and anyone who claims he would be much better or much worse than Jimmy doesn't really know what they're talking about. They're guessing.
Unfortunately you are correct. What should happen and what will happen are two very different and things. More disappointment heading our way….. the kid would give us fans a spark. Yesterday was a tough pill to swallow.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Trey is careful with the football and should not turn it over like bad JG we just saw

And you know this how exactly, based on his college tape? I seem to recall that Lance had his share of picks and "turnover worthy" plays in pre-season, which is no slam on him, it's just life in the NFL after coming from a Division II school and not being used to the coverages the big boys have to offer. Also, for those saying that Lance could also have been 6-6 as a starting QB, yeah, maybe, but that is also something that lives in the realm of the completely unknowable and unproveable and is based on nothing but speculation. It certainly isn't evident based on his one start against the Cardinals. Again, I have no issue with Lance. I hope he turns out to be great, but the degree of magical thinking that has evolved around him since he was drafted is really quite astounding.

For every poster who's said they believe Lance would play better than Jimmy there's at least 10 posters saying they know we wouldn't make the playoffs or that this season would be wasted if we started the rookie.

My stance from the beginning has always been… I don't know what we would get from Lance and anyone who claims he would be much better or much worse than Jimmy doesn't really know what they're talking about. They're guessing.

"should"
Virtually zero film on him. It just might be enough to get us in the playoffs (Kaepernick-effect).

I want to see Trey but at this point they are still in the playoff hunt. I don't see Kyle turning over the team to a QB with so little experience. I know he could try it and go back to JG if it didn't work but the message it would send to the team isn't good.

Jimmy could throw 4 Ints next game and Kyle still wouldn't bench him. The fact we haven't seen Lance since the cardinals game says it all. We'll be expecting to see him shine next year despite him not receiving any playing time this season.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Jimmy could throw 4 Ints next game and Kyle still wouldn't bench him. The fact we haven't seen Lance since the cardinals game says it all. We'll be expecting to see him shine next year despite him not receiving any playing time this season.

This is what I don't get about Kyle. He used him in a limited manner and had success, then he throws him to the wolves with a crappy offensive line and tries to use him as a running back and gets him hurt. Then, nothing since. How is this making him better for next year?
Originally posted by debo4mvp:
Originally posted by Sickaa:

This is what I don't get about Kyle. He used him in a limited manner and had success, then he throws him to the wolves with a crappy offensive line and tries to use him as a running back and gets him hurt. Then, nothing since. How is this making him better for next year?

It's definitely mind boggling when It comes down to understanding Kyle and his decisions. To me, It feels like Kyle has shied away from playing Lance after the backlash he received from the cardinals game. I honestly thought It would have been wise to get Lance some playing time against the two teams we destroyed, the Jags and Rams.
Yeah there is no film on him. Because he doesn't play.

Originally posted by Waterbear:

Trey Doesn't have to be that careful! He throws the ball 150mph. Well some wr drops though.😆😆🔥🔥🔥🔥
[ Edited by socal1632 on Dec 6, 2021 at 10:08 AM ]
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
https://www.outsports.com/2021/12/3/22812831/trey-lance-my-cause-cleats-gay-fellowship-of-christian-athletes

JMO: "Maybe it's going over my head... forgive me if I missed something critical in the article and feel free to correct me on my oversight. I believe everyone has the right to live their life however they choose as long as it's not hurting someone else or imposing on someone else's freedoms. Having said that... this is a Christian organization that's founded on spiritual/religious beliefs. I have been to many churches and none of them believed in or supported same sex relationships. And, none of them would allow you to be the pastor if you didn't actually believe in the the principles that they are founded on. Period. How is this any different. I'm not gay but if I held a leadership position in my church, I would be relieved of it if I was found to be having sex before marriage. They would say I wasn't fit to lead because I'm living in sin. I can understand someone being offended because the life they live on a day to day basis is deemed as sinful and wrong, but then why isn't this a condemnation for like 85 to 90 percent of Christian churches? Why is the focus on FCA? How is it different? If the answer is because it isn't technically a church, then we're just splitting hairs... the title says it all. It's a Christian Organization based on it's religious beliefs. I wouldn't expect to be a leader in a vegan/animal rights based organization if I still ate meat. I don't see the issue. "

Christ...we're arguing about this again?
The more this season progresses, the more I start to think that it will be tough for lance to be worse (not better) than Jimmy next year.

I like Jimmy a lot, but mainly because I remember the Troy Smiths and the (you name the s**t QBs).

BUT…. Jimmy hasn't done a lot this year that made me think "man, only elite QBs can do that". Jimmy has decent/good stats, a few good throws per game, and is a f**king legend of a teammate…. But at the end of the day when teams load the box and dare him to take the top off, the offense suffers a bit.

Why do I think it will be hard for Trey to do worse? Because I think Kyle can dial up the same wide open receivers he does for jimmy, and because I think defenses will not attempt to load the box (aka play 1v1 across the board) against Trey as much as they do Jimmy. Simply put, I think trey will play softer defensive schemes than Jimmy does… at least until/unless he proves himself a bad QB.

Imagine Jimmy having half of Treys athleticism last night against the Hawks…. How many bootleg 20+ yard runs would he have popped off.

Fingers crossed

ps, I'd happily take a decade with jimmy as our QB. An average QB is tough to find in this league, and jimmy is much better than average.
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Dec 6, 2021 at 10:42 AM ]
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
The more this season progresses, the more I start to think that it will be tough for lance to be worse (not better) than Jimmy next year.

I like Jimmy a lot, but mainly because I remember the Troy Smiths and the (you name the s**t QBs).

BUT…. Jimmy hasn't done a lot this year that made me think "man, only elite QBs can do that". Jimmy has decent/good stats, a few good throws per game, and is a f**king legend of a teammate…. But at the end of the day when teams load the box and dare him to take the top off, the offense suffers a bit.

Why do I think it will be hard for Trey to do worse? Because I think Kyle can dial up the same wide open receivers he does for jimmy, and because I think defenses will not attempt to load the box (aka play 1v1 across the board) against Trey as much as they do Jimmy. Simply put, I think trey will play softer defensive schemes than Jimmy does… at least until/unless he proves himself a bad QB.

Imagine Jimmy having half of Treys athleticism last night against the Hawks…. How many bootleg 20+ yard runs would he have popped off.

Fingers crossed

ps, I'd happily take a decade with jimmy as our QB. An average QB is tough to find in this league, and jimmy is much better than average.

Much better than average? Really?????????Just start watching football??? Wow. Jimmy is like a career 90-92 qbr. Good qb's are 100+. Great qb's 110+. WTF. Are you Kyle??
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

Playoff hunt or not ask yourself how far would this team advance with a bunch of holes on the defense N a poor special teams advance?
Jimmy Bumroppolo isn't capable of putting this team on his shoulders to make a Superbowl run. He couldn't get the job done with the #2 ranked defense we had in 19' what makes u think he can do it with less talented defense this year. Shanahan needs to roll the dice N see what Lance is capable of at least he gets his feet wet to start next year.

I agree that they probably won't go far in the playoffs but they still have to try and make them. You can't tell a bunch of guys that are playing for their job every week that we're throwing in the towel because we don't think you're good enough. Besides, there aren't any super teams this year so even though it's not likely, anything is possible.
Share 49ersWebzone