There are 227 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
and that's why fans are annoying and don't understand much. It's all instant gratification without understanding what it takes to get to that point. Grr draft capital, I know all those draft picks in the 1st rd have been just amazing for SF instant success for all them. How dare we give up future picks for a QB. Those guys would have been pro-bowlers no doubt.

At which point were you done with Jimmy...2018 or 2020? They weren't winning those years and he was a reason why OR did you give him 4 years before wanting him thrown to the streets?

Fans setting themselves up for failure and a lot of unneeded anger. Can't wait!

Agreed.

Isn't wanting to see Trey start (week 1) or today instant gratification?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Can't speak for all but for me I wanted him in for growth for the future. Not so much win now. So no, not instant gratification.

Can't speak for all but for me I wanted him in for growth for the future. Not so much win now. So no, not instant gratification.

Gotcha. I wouldn't be mad, personally.
You only talked about the OL. NC shows all the other stuff he contributed too. NY...yeah but you only talked about the OL though.

You see what you want to.

But do you. You need this.

I have no idea what this comment even means...is this buzz?

But yes please pretend that you didn't talk about IOL and try to use every analytical stat to s**t on the OL for YEARS. It was all over the place. No need to act like it wasn't...we saw it not just me.

I'll I'm saying is stop being a hypocrite. Yes cap space issues in a covid year matter. Playing an avg ass QB top 5 cap space AFFECTS the whole roster. Everything trickles down from that...it's no different then your whole OL is the backbone of a offense and we go as the OL goes stuff. It's all about roster building and where money is allocated and what you should expect from those players to mask other deficiencies.

So save me the you see what you what to junk...take your own advice for once instead of pushing it on someone else.

Naturally. LMAO.

I wanted Trey to get all the reps for development purposes...I didn't need him to be some MVP caliber QB W1 or I would be pissed. I accept the fact that he probably wasn't gonna come out and be an amazing QB whenever he starts early in his career. I accepted that once we were drafting a QB high.

My debate has always been about developing a QB and how sitting for a full year might not be in his best interest...BUT if that is the route so be it, just realize that he will have his rookie bumps in 2022 vs having them in 2021.
You only talked about the OL. NC shows all the other stuff he contributed too. NY...yeah but you only talked about the OL though.

You see what you want to.

But do you. You need this.

I have no idea what this comment even means...is this buzz?

But yes please pretend that you didn't talk about IOL and try to use every analytical stat to s**t on the OL for YEARS. It was all over the place. No need to act like it wasn't...we saw it not just me.

I'll I'm saying is stop being a hypocrite. Yes cap space issues in a covid year matter. Playing an avg ass QB top 5 cap space AFFECTS the whole roster. Everything trickles down from that...it's no different then your whole OL is the backbone of a offense and we go as the OL goes stuff. It's all about roster building and where money is allocated and what you should expect from those players to mask other deficiencies.

So save me the you see what you what to junk...take your own advice for once instead of pushing it on someone else.

Naturally. LMAO.

I don't think you even knew what you said there just stop being a hypocrite with this topic and we're all good

This
I mean go ahead and bookmark it?t Trying to find gotcha moments because that's all this thread is....man this place is lame. And you act like I really care if I'm wrong lol . Don't care if he comes into 2022 as a MVP caliber talent, I'll gladly say I'm wrong.

He's saying they paid Jimmy $27M to "win a Super Bowl" currently they're 6-6 and more than likely not gonna sniff anything close to that. He's saying with the way SF is winning games, they could have a decent chance at being 6-6 AND developing the QB in the process, PLUS we wouldn't be tossing out guys like Norman and DJ as our starting CBs because we'd actually have money to spend on FAs.

How the hell is it so hard for some people to get the idea of playing football makes you better at football? Why is the difficult to grasp?

Focus on learning the offense? You think he can't run a PA/boot or throw to his first read? You don't think he can hand off the ball off 40x a game? Kyle has said he already knows the playbook...he doesn't get to run the offense in practices outside of his little ZR packages. So learning what? He doesn't get to face live game speed defenses. He not seeing live coverages. He's literally pretending to be the opponents QB every week lol. That's not learning the offense. He would be watching film if he was starting all the same...expect he would actually have film of HIM.

The rest of your points are silly outside of preparing like a pro IMO. He doesn't need to watch another QB f**k up to be better.

Yeah I'm sure the fan base will love him when he comes in as a raw "rookie" who hasn't played football in over 2 years. Wilson like most rookies are getting valuable reps, they're learning from their mistakes...most QBs say it was an important part of the process to grow. Wilson needs better talent around him, he (like every rookie QB) shouldn't have to throw the team on their backs and do more than they can at this point in their career....do you think Lawrence should have sat a year? He started in college as a true freshmen and played in every big game you could ask for. He's one of the highest graded talents at QB ever. Kid needs freaking help around him. They shouldn't be throwing the ball 50x a game.

IMO There's a limit to what can be learned as a scout QB and if you don't understand that, then I don't know what to tell ya.

And what you continually fail to grasp is that the team went into the season with what they believed were Super Bowl aspirations. Lance was NEVER going to start this year under any circumstance short of Jimmy being injured or playing so horribly that they were out of the playoff picture by week eight. And yet week after week after week you come in here with the same tired argument.

Wilson, Lawrence and maybe Fields are playing and developing on teams that probably had no realistic hope of making the playoffs this year so they are out there taking their lumps and learning by their mistakes time will tell if that is the right approach. The NFL is littered with the broken careers of rookie QB's who were thrown into the fire and took such a beating that they never recovered. Mac Jones seems to have landed in the perfect spot for him and even if he has already reached his ceiling he is doing every thing that system requires of him to be successful and we will see how long that lasts

Lance and the 49ers were in a completely different situation. They didn't have to try and develop a rookie QB, with extremely limited experience, on what they thought was a Super Bowl caliber roster that had a QB on it that, you know, had already taken them to the Super Bowl. I swear its like a broken record in here with some of you guys. Do you think the other posters somehow missed your point the first 3,287 times you made it.

I wanted Trey to get all the reps for development purposes...I didn't need him to be some MVP caliber QB W1 or I would be pissed. I accept the fact that he probably wasn't gonna come out and be an amazing QB whenever he starts early in his career. I accepted that once we were drafting a QB high.

My debate has always been about developing a QB and how sitting for a full year might not be in his best interest...BUT if that is the route so be it, just realize that he will have his rookie bumps in 2022 vs having them in 2021.

But that's not instant gratification as a fan no matter how you justify it? The kid clearly was not ready even when he did come in. I think now that 13 weeks have gone by, it's probably not instant gratification though. Fans always want to see the shiny new toy. I'm sure Kyle does too and has fought against that instant gratification as well esp. after constructing plays specifically for him. You know he wants to try them out badly.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Im a 49ers supporter. 49ers >>>>> Trey, Jimmy, kittle

The team comes first. I'm angry because I think the 49ers made a mistake. I absolutely want him to succeed. And as I've said before, I'd be so happy if I'm wrong. And given everything invested they need to give him as much time to develop. At this point if he doesn't develop, it will be 5 years lost on this organization.

you have NO CLUE if hey made a mistake...that's the whole problem with your debate. It's pointless to say he's gonna suck or say why would he improve (which is just dumb based on how life goes in general).

I'll I'm saying is you better be able to let him develop properly and give him the benefit of the doubt just like you've done for Jimmy for the past 4 years.

No one is going to do that with the draft capital they spent.

The expectations from the fan base will be to win with him every year.

and that's why fans are annoying and don't understand much. It's all instant gratification without understanding what it takes to get to that point. Grr draft capital, I know all those draft picks in the 1st rd have been just amazing for SF instant success for all them. How dare we give up future picks for a QB. Those guys would have been pro-bowlers no doubt.

At which point were you done with Jimmy...2018 or 2020? They weren't winning those years and he was a reason why OR did you give him 4 years before wanting him thrown to the streets?

Fans setting themselves up for failure and a lot of unneeded anger. Can't wait!

It has been five years of this regime with one winning season.

I expect the team to win every year at this point. It is what good teams do five years into a regime.

They aren't going to get a pass for four more years.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Dec 7, 2021 at 7:48 AM ]

Any critical thinker can see numerous benefits from sitting him a year, for him and Kyle.

not saying sitting him is more beneficial than playing him, just noting how silly it is to dig in one side of this argument.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

This

That.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
I mean go ahead and bookmark it?t Trying to find gotcha moments because that's all this thread is....man this place is lame. And you act like I really care if I'm wrong lol . Don't care if he comes into 2022 as a MVP caliber talent, I'll gladly say I'm wrong.

He's saying they paid Jimmy $27M to "win a Super Bowl" currently they're 6-6 and more than likely not gonna sniff anything close to that. He's saying with the way SF is winning games, they could have a decent chance at being 6-6 AND developing the QB in the process, PLUS we wouldn't be tossing out guys like Norman and DJ as our starting CBs because we'd actually have money to spend on FAs.

How the hell is it so hard for some people to get the idea of playing football makes you better at football? Why is the difficult to grasp?

Focus on learning the offense? You think he can't run a PA/boot or throw to his first read? You don't think he can hand off the ball off 40x a game? Kyle has said he already knows the playbook...he doesn't get to run the offense in practices outside of his little ZR packages. So learning what? He doesn't get to face live game speed defenses. He not seeing live coverages. He's literally pretending to be the opponents QB every week lol. That's not learning the offense. He would be watching film if he was starting all the same...expect he would actually have film of HIM.

The rest of your points are silly outside of preparing like a pro IMO. He doesn't need to watch another QB f**k up to be better.

Yeah I'm sure the fan base will love him when he comes in as a raw "rookie" who hasn't played football in over 2 years. Wilson like most rookies are getting valuable reps, they're learning from their mistakes...most QBs say it was an important part of the process to grow. Wilson needs better talent around him, he (like every rookie QB) shouldn't have to throw the team on their backs and do more than they can at this point in their career....do you think Lawrence should have sat a year? He started in college as a true freshmen and played in every big game you could ask for. He's one of the highest graded talents at QB ever. Kid needs freaking help around him. They shouldn't be throwing the ball 50x a game.

IMO There's a limit to what can be learned as a scout QB and if you don't understand that, then I don't know what to tell ya.

And what you continually fail to grasp is that the team went into the season with what they believed were Super Bowl aspirations. Lance was NEVER going to start this year under any circumstance short of Jimmy being injured or playing so horribly that they were out of the playoff picture by week eight. And yet week after week after week you come in here with the same tired argument.

Wilson, Lawrence and maybe Fields are playing and developing on teams that probably had no realistic hope of making the playoffs this year so they are out there taking their lumps and learning by their mistakes time will tell if that is the right approach. The NFL is littered with the broken careers of rookie QB's who were thrown into the fire and took such a beating that they never recovered. Mac Jones seems to have landed in the perfect spot for him and even if he has already reached his ceiling he is doing every thing that system requires of him to be successful and we will see how long that lasts

Lance and the 49ers were in a completely different situation. They didn't have to try and develop a rookie QB, with extremely limited experience, on what they thought was a Super Bowl caliber roster that had a QB on it that, you know, had already taken them to the Super Bowl. I swear its like a broken record in here with some of you guys. Do you think the other posters somehow missed your point the first 3,287 times you made it.

LMAO. Yup.

What's funny is NY posted a video of Crocker yesterday sharing the same mindset but in his very own podcast, said, there's no way you start Lance now. You ride or die with Garoppolo the rest of the way. They made their decision so stick with it until the end.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers81:

LMAO. Yup.

What's funny is NY posted a video of Crocker yesterday sharing the same mindset but in his very own podcast, said, there's no way you start Lance now. You ride or die with Garoppolo the rest of the way. They made their decision so stick with it until the end.

Yeah, we have to play Garoppolo to get some type of compensation for him.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Any critical thinker can see numerous benefits from sitting him a year, for him and Kyle.

not saying sitting him is more beneficial than playing him, just noting how silly it is to dig in one side of this argument.

There were merits to both plans before the season started.

Unfortunately we seem to be falling flat on our face with our chosen course of action.

Keeping JG and his 20+ million cap hit was to make a strong SB push. We knowingly delayed Trey development cycle for that chance. We also hoped strong JG play would grt a high pick in a trade.

6-6 record is not what we thought that plan would get us. Trey could have seen more game action and had development bumps out of the way. Worst case is he has those struggles next year and potentially damages playoff odds.

0 play time is odd.

Even Joe Montana had specific packages while he was being developed.
Share 49ersWebzone