There are 199 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
If we lose against Cinci our playoff chances are done, in which case Lance needs to start the rest of the season.

Not true. We'd still be at least the 7th seed with a loss, unless the Vikings beat the Steelers.

8-9 isn't getting us into the playoffs and that's what our record is going to be. We lose to the Bengals, Rams, and Titans imo.

Reality is even if we lose to Cincy we still are not mathematically eliminated and thus Kyle likely continues to roll with JG whether some of our fans like it or not.
lol,, like getting the last seed in the playoff and facing and getting lit up by brady and rodgers is some sort of a badge of honor, i bet some of you also thought it was a nice moral win to get to the super bowl and lose

Shanny can't win the big games.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Holy s**t I KNOW THIS! I've said I KNOW THIS since before the season started....so save me the what I fail to grasp crap. Most teams go into the season with SB aspirations...guess what they were WRONG. They thought their overpaid avg QB would mask all the issues we had in the secondary and lacking depth really everywhere. Welp they were wrong. They drafted a bunch of players that they SAID they didn't plan on them being real contributors, I mean seriously? We were counting on often injured players to...waiting for it, not get injured for once. Welp that was wrong too. Overall was I completely wrong in my take before the season started? I don't think I was...look at who are RT, CBs, WRs, and EDGE rushers are right now. That's not a SB squad IMO. What I wanted was Jimmy to take a pay cut to get more cap space because what is currently happening.

ALSO It was NEVER Lance needs to start W1...I read the tea leaves and saw the plan.

I've been talking about the development process in general with a QB and what might be the right way to go about it. THAT HAS BEEN my debate for months.

I'm also saying you got people in here saying red shirt him because of Mahomes. Like that's what will happen in 2022, just because AND that's stupid. You're setting up unrealistic expectations for him by saying that.

You clearly missing the whole point of my debate on this subject and are arguing about something I'm not talking about. I was fine with Jimmy starting, it was a debate on how to develop a QB WHICH are different topics.

But since we're talking about it.... we're 13 weeks into the season and 6-6. Do you think this is a SB roster? Do you think maybe just possibly if Lance got every starting rep from day 1 that he might be more prepared to be the starter vs getting next to nothing for half a yr? Do you think he's magically gonna be ready to roll in 2022 OR are you fully accepting that he will still be a rookie that will make rookie mistakes, especially one that hasn't played meaningful football for over 2 yrs?

Again figure out my point before you reply to it...for the 3,287th time.

I am in full support of Trey Lance. But I for one was hoping that we drafted Justin Fields. And from the looks of things I think he would have been the better choice. I just didn't think the amount of development Lance would need is way too much to be trading 3 draft picks for. But Lance is our guy and I support him. I'm not too sure about the Mahomes comparison though. Time will tell.

To answer your questions:
Do you think this is a SB roster?
When healthy? Yes. But since when has this team been healthy?

Do you think maybe just possibly if Lance got every starting rep from day 1 that he might be more prepared to be the starter vs getting next to nothing for half a yr?
Yes, he would be. But what would be our record? Like I said, I think Fields would have been a better choice. With this roster and Fields at QB we'd have at least 8 wins at this point. But for a SB-ready team I don't think it would be smart to start a project QB. Lance needs serious time to develop (which is why he should not have been drafted #3 overall). Jimmy G, with all his warts, was the smarter option to start the season.

Now, having said that, I do think that Lance needs more playing time. I think had Jimmy G. been pulled in the 3rd quarter of the Seattle game we might have won the game. But if we lose against Cinci Lance needs to be starting the rest of the season, because I can't see this team making the playoffs if we get one more loss. Either we win out or start the Lance development project in earnest.

Do you think he's magically gonna be ready to roll in 2022 OR are you fully accepting that he will still be a rookie that will make rookie mistakes, especially one that hasn't played meaningful football for over 2 yrs?
He better be ready to start in 2022, otherwise Shanny and Lynch will be in trouble, and rightfully so! To give up 3 1sts for a guy needing more than a year to develop is downright draft mis-management. There's simply no other way to put it. He's gonna make mistakes, there's no way of avoiding that. But you mortgage major draft future to move up to #3 overall for a guy. That alone suggest that he can play day one. But on a SB-ready team with a QB who's gotten you to the SB before the smart move would be to redshirt the rookie unless proven otherwise.

Given what we've given up to get Lance it would be unacceptable if he weren't ready to start in 2022. If that is the case then it was a mistake to draft him at that spot, and Shanny has a lot of explaining to do. But since we drafted him we have to accept what he comes with. We can't wait two seasons until he's "ready", not for what we paid to get him. Shanny will just have to accept that a great deal of on-the-job training will have to take place. He's not gonna be able to ask the fanbase to accept, essentially, a 2 year project at QB that costed 3 firsts.
If we lose against Cinci our playoff chances are done, in which case Lance needs to start the rest of the season.

Not true. We'd still be at least the 7th seed with a loss, unless the Vikings beat the Steelers.

8-9 isn't getting us into the playoffs and that's what our record is going to be. We lose to the Bengals, Rams, and Titans imo.

Reality is even if we lose to Cincy we still are not mathematically eliminated and thus Kyle likely continues to roll with JG whether some of our fans like it or not.
lol,, like getting the last seed in the playoff and facing and getting lit up by brady and rodgers is some sort of a badge of honor, i bet some of you also thought it was a nice moral win to get to the super bowl and lose

We definitely would be an underdog against those teams but the reason you play these games is because time and again, any given Sunday.

Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Some people would be happier to see us go 8-9, get the 7th seed, and blown out by the Cowboys in the wildcard round in humiliating fashion as long as Jimmy is at QB than see our QBotF and other rookies get some playing time.

Not buying whatever it is you are trying to sell here.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wait, I'm unclear on your stance here. Could you repeat that, please? LOL

You clearly don't know my stance because you're debating something different and have been...actually you're not even debating just complaining about something that I'm not talking about.

Here all break it down for you real simple.

1. Jimmy starting fine, wanted him to take a pay cut. Talked about other options
2. Best way for a rookie QB to develop is playing (getting all reps since TC). This has been my debate.
3. now we're 13 weeks into it, we probably could be 6-6 with Lance Like Crock said.

Obviously, I was just joking given our most recent conversation.

But thanks for the outline!

Oh I know, I don't really take things too personal in here (with you)

Good.
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Do you disagree with Crock now that Trey shouldn't start now going forward?

He just said on todays Locked On he would have Trey play the rest of the season.

Really? LOL. Dude back flips more than Richie James after a victory kneel down. Dude is way too emotional about the topic.
He better be ready to start in 2022, otherwise Shanny and Lynch will be in trouble, and rightfully so! To give up 3 1sts for a guy needing more than a year to develop is downright draft mis-management. There's simply no other way to put it. He's gonna make mistakes, there's no way of avoiding that. But you mortgage major draft future to move up to #3 overall for a guy. That alone suggest that he can play day one. But on a SB-ready team with a QB who's gotten you to the SB before the smart move would be to redshirt the rookie unless proven otherwise.

Given what we've given up to get Lance it would be unacceptable if he weren't ready to start in 2022. If that is the case then it was a mistake to draft him at that spot, and Shanny has a lot of explaining to do. But since we drafted him we have to accept what he comes with. We can't wait two seasons until he's "ready", not for what we paid to get him. Shanny will just have to accept that a great deal of on-the-job training will have to take place. He's not gonna be able to ask the fanbase to accept, essentially, a 2 year project at QB that costed 3 firsts.

If you agree with all the bolded, then wouldnt the underlined be the opposite of what you should believe?

Some people would be happier to see us go 8-9, get the 7th seed, and blown out by the Cowboys in the wildcard round in humiliating fashion as long as Jimmy is at QB than see our QBotF and other rookies get some playing time.

If we get the 7th, we're going to kill the Packers.

Not sure about that, not with our CBs anyway.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Not sure about that, not with our CBs anyway.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that!
Let him play!

Great listen…go to 32 mins and listen to crock, a former NFL player who plays played on the scout team

Great listen…go to 32 mins and listen to crock, a former NFL player who plays played on the scout team

Jimmy didn't really cost us that game. Our special teams did.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

If you agree with all the bolded, then wouldnt the underlined be the opposite of what you should believe?

Nah, Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Joe, Jimmy G, all were pretty good after developing on the bench.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Jimmy didn't really cost us that game. Our special teams did.

That has nothing to do with what I posted...I said go to 32 mins in....as far as Jimmy goes his INT directly lead to Seattle scoring what was the go-ahead TD. There was a lot that lead to the loss, he most certainly was part of that.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 7, 2021 at 12:20 PM ]

We definitely would be an underdog against those teams but the reason you play these games is because time and again, any given Sunday.

Not buying whatever it is you are trying to sell here.

I'm not selling anything, I'm just questioning the value of pursuing mediocrity if it is at the expense of Lance's and the other rookies' development.

Lance can develop into a good QB whether he sits this year or not, but it is fair to question whether or not sitting the entire year will slow that development down. Despite the number of times that guys like Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady etc. get brought up as success stories for guys that sat their rookie year, out of that group, only Mahomes was great right away and it's impossible to know how good those guys would have been in year 2 if they had played in year 1 versus sitting. If Lance goes through some first-year starter bumps next year, will our 8-9/9-8 record and early playoff exit this season have been worth it (especially since we don't really know if our record with Lance would have been all that different than what it is with Jimmy).
Share 49ersWebzone