There are 222 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Silky:

Most fans will not forgive Shanalynch for letting Jimmy finish the season for a potential 4th rounder, 3rd at best. We'd rather see our future out there. If we had 10 wins, sure keep playing Jimmy. But we do not. The 6-6 record really solidifies this for me.
To be fair, Garoppolo is not the main reason this is a .500 team. Once again, injuries are the main culprit. This last game was a good example. Yes, JG could have played better, however, the secondary couldn't cover, the ST failed...again, etc.

It is axiomatic that the teams that go deep in the playoffs have the least injuries.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
No, I am not sure what is the best route for Lance because there are examples of guys developing on the bench and being successful in their first year as starters and others who start immediately and succeed and others who start slow and then become good down the road.

I just don't think we need to prepare ourselves for him to do poorly in 2022 because he didn't start most of the games this year.

I don't expect him to be great but functional and a guy who can offer the team a chance to win more games than they lose seems reasonable.

Edit: also, I can live with ehatever happens, it is just a game and I have lived through the past 20nyears of this team just fine.

That's fine...I'm also not saying he's gonna play poorly.

I'm saying, I have already allowed myself to be good with the ups and downs of a 21 yr old rookie who will becoming into the NFL as a starter with like 330 career passing attempts under his belt. He should be allowed a little grace and understanding from the fan base that hey we get it, you're a super young inexperienced QB but we understand the juice will be worth the squeeze if we give it enough time. All the traits are there for a top end QB, but that s**t doesn't just happen by sitting for a year...it takes time, reps and mistakes.

We will see. This team is built on running the ball either way. That's how SF wins football games

Agree
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
It has been five years of this regime with one winning season.

I expect the team to win every year at this point. It is what good teams do five years into a regime.

They aren't going to get a pass for four more years.

100%. Winning seasons vs. losing seasons at this point.

6-6 right now...really hoping this team with its talent can put together some consistent winning football over these last five games.

Lol....you can here the anger in Woo regarding Kyle's regime. He's ready to explode,...but doesn't suggest any coaches that will replace him and be "the one."

Look who is making it personal again, it is weird behavior.

I like Kyle and don't think he should be fired.

Jimmy gets a pass but you're extremely upset @ Kyle,...hence, the need to keep reminding us of his 1 good season here after several years. You're going to repeat it again and again, but you won't name who you'd like to replace him. Nor will you

Meanwhile, "everyone needs to shush about Jimmy and be nice" is your continual tone in the Jimmy thread.

You take 2 completely different tones after losing games time after time. And so do I,....most times, TBH.

The difference is I've readily admitted it years ago but you will dance around it. You choose to play pretend regarding Kyle and put the "1 good season in 5 years" line on autoplay. Has some kinda calming effect I guess to blame guys that dont actually place football?
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 8, 2021 at 11:13 AM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I hear what you are saying. I just dont agree. Lance's biggest issue is his lack of experience. So redshirting him (which provides him with ZERO experience), and then saying "it would be unacceptable if he isnt ready next year" are contradictory thoughts. I totally understand the reasoning to stick with Jimmy, but doing so doesnt help Lance out in the long run. Playing would have. I personally would have made Lance the starter after the bye, but I know that wasnt realistic for Kyle.

If Lance stinks it up next season, then Kyle should be on the hotseat....I agree. But for me, he would be on the hotseat because he decided to ignore 2021 in the sense of preparing his QBotF to be ready for 2022. If Lance is horrible in 2023, I will be on board with getting rid of Kyle and Lynch.

Ok, lets explore this contradiction.

Redshirting - Weather one agrees or disagrees most (myself included) at the time roundly believed that this was a SB-ready team given the team was returning fully healthy. No matter what one thinks of Jimmy G. he did lead this team to a SB. We drafted Lance, but with a SB-ready team QB'd by a SB QB redshirting the rookie make very good sense, especially given the belief that Lance will need development before starting. And as we know rookie QB's don't win SB's.

Being ready for 2022 - Like it or not, given this situation, Lance will have to be "ready" to start in 2022. Shanny got the QB HE wanted. Now, people can say all they want that what was paid to get him and his draft status is irrelevant. You don't pay that much for a QB to draft #3 overall only to take 2 (or more) full seasons before he can deemed "ready" to start, especially after redshirting the first season to develop. Jed York can say whatever he wants publicly, "not ready" will not be acceptable for 2022. Now, I totally agree that without real game experience 2022 will be basically a rookie season for Lance. So I agree that Shanny really needs to find ways to get Lance playing time this season. A year of film study and watching will not prepare him. But the reality is that fans, the media, and even Jed will not hear that. Right or wrong, people will see 1) #3 over all, 2) the cost to draft him #3 overall, 3) has had a whole season to sit and learn, and 4) will be inheriting a team that's at the very least ready to push for a division title. Period, end of . . . .

I don't think you are wrong in saying that Lance's biggest issue is the lack of experience. And I don't disagree that maybe we should have went with Lance after the bye, especially given that we were 2-3 at that time. But for me the biggest issue is how Shanny has handled this whole QB situation. It's no secret that all offseason Shanny was in the QB sweepstakes. Then he spends a boatload to draft Lance, only to do his best to not play him, sighting that he's "not ready". I get why he didn't start the season. You don't give the keys to the kingdom of a supposed SB-ready team to a rookie, especially when the incumbent is one bad pass away from winning the SB. Rookie QB's don't win SB's.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Redshirting - Weather one agrees or disagrees most (myself included) at the time roundly believed that this was a SB-ready team given the team was returning fully healthy. No matter what one thinks of Jimmy G. he did lead this team to a SB.

Right on cue! (In regards to contradictions).
He didn't lead this team to a SB,...but he did get to participate as a starter. If we're going to give Jimmy credit, give it where it's due, like his fantastic game vs. New Orleans that year.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 8, 2021 at 11:00 AM ]
He starting yet???
My whole thing on the matter of mortgaging the future for Lance was you still didn't get the QB you wanted. It was no secret the 49ers wanted the now Jets QB. The Jags are off the board and you settle for the 3rd QB on the board. It smells like desperation. They could've waited a year drafted a top player and gone all in the following draft.
Interesting take...

Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Interesting take...

A Bay Area fan saying this
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Interesting take...

A Bay Area fan saying this

Not sure how that's possible. One is winning whilst gaining valuable experience, whilst the other is on the bench after being battered from the cardinals.

Originally posted by Sickaa:
Not sure how that's possible. One is winning whilst gaining valuable experience, whilst the other is on the bench after being battered from the cardinals.

Sounds like some guy trying to say something that's controversial just to get his name out there.
Interesting take...

Really, I'll take the W's.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Interesting take...

Really, I'll take the W's.

Lance starting all season just throwing check downs like Mac wouldn't have done much for his development. Mac is already close to what he's going to be in the NFL. I'll take Lance's potential every time.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Lance starting all season just throwing check downs like Mac wouldn't have done much for his development. Mac is already close to what he's going to be in the NFL. I'll take Lance's potential every time.

NFL stands for Not For Long. You want to talk about potential, Greg Cook, Coach Walsh said he was Montana before Montana. Slammed to the turf in is first year by the KC Chiefs and that was it, finished. I'll take Now, you can have potential.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Redshirting - Weather one agrees or disagrees most (myself included) at the time roundly believed that this was a SB-ready team given the team was returning fully healthy. No matter what one thinks of Jimmy G. he did lead this team to a SB.

Right on cue! (In regards to contradictions).
He didn't lead this team to a SB,...but he did get to participate as a starter. If we're going to give Jimmy credit, give it where it's due, like his fantastic game vs. New Orleans that year.

Oh jeeze. How about this, he was the starting QB at the helm when the team last went to the SB. I wasn't even giving him credit. I was making a larger point. Good lord man
Share 49ersWebzone