There are 254 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
I believe if Kyle had it all to do over again, he would have had an open competition in TC.

If he could do it all over again, he'd probably just give Trey the job from day one and focus everything on getting Trey ready to be the starter and building the offense around his skillset.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
If he could do it all over again, he'd probably just give Trey the job from day one and focus everything on getting Trey ready to be the starter and building the offense around his skillset.

I seriously doubt that. More magical thinking from the graduates at Unicorn U.
Originally posted by 49ers81:

At least graduates from Unicorn U understand that paying a QB that won't be here beyond this year 25 million to help lead the team to a 6-6 record is not ideal.

Especially since it potentially slowed down the development of the rookie QB you spent 3 first rounders on.

Plus, perhaps an offense focused on a single direction from the beginning might have started the season a little sharper than one that spent time practicing plays designed for multiple QBs that ended up not even being used and likely had little impact on how defenses prepared for us.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Dec 9, 2021 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by NinersFan52:
I believe if Kyle had it all to do over again, he would have had an open competition in TC.

Jimmy G would've won that hands down. He knows the offense, is experienced, and wouldn't have an issue show casing that in practice. If training camp opened right now you would have a different story. Trey would be too far behind the power curve of learning the NFL and Kyle's playbook.

Good point. Trey wasn't ready because he didn't have nearly enough time to digest the playbook. Especially when his main focus in the offseason was improving mechanics and fundamentals.

Jimmy G would've won that hands down. He knows the offense, is experienced, and wouldn't have an issue show casing that in practice. If training camp opened right now you would have a different story. Trey would be too far behind the power curve of learning the NFL and Kyle's playbook.

Who cares at this point...great he knows the offense that Kyle wants to run with him more, they're 6-6 with that going on. Kyle said Lance knew the playbook back in TC, he literally said that during TC and a couple weeks ago during a presser. He said he just needs reps running the offense, which he's not gonna get by holding a clipboard
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Who cares at this point...great he knows the offense that Kyle wants to run with him more, they're 6-6 with that going on. Kyle said Lance knew the playbook back in TC, he literally said that during TC and a couple weeks ago during a presser. He said he just needs reps running the offense, which he's not gonna get by holding a clipboard

I do. I care
A lot of bold statements based purely off assumptions and speculation 🤣🤣.

At least graduates from Unicorn U understand that paying a QB that won't be here beyond this year 25 million to help lead the team to a 6-6 record is not ideal.

Especially since it potentially slowed down the development of the rookie QB you spent 3 first rounders on.

Plus, perhaps an offense focused on a single direction from the beginning might have started the season a little sharper than one that spent time practicing plays designed for multiple QBs that ended up not even being used and likely had little impact on how defenses prepared for us.

Well yes, I suppose in the theoretical world of University U that would make a lot of sense. But here in the real world Kyle was never going to turn the reins of his offense over to a rookie who came into the league with the LEAST amount of experience of any prospect who has been drafted that high in over 20 years. Not with a locker room full of players who thought they had a legitimate shot at getting back to the Super Bowl and were very supportive of the QB who was currently on the roster and had actually taken them to the Super Bowl the year before. There was almost no realistic scenario under which Lance would have started this year outside of Jimmy getting injured again. Sorry to disappoint you.
[ Edited by 49ers81 on Dec 9, 2021 at 12:03 PM ]
What If JG takes a pay cut next year to remain with the team because Kyle believes Lance needs more time to develop? .. this place would explode.

Unicorn U?? WTF. Just stepping out on the field Trey makes Jimmy look like a junker. Jimmy should have been Jettisoned before training camp. Their plan has blown up in their faces

Well yes, I suppose in the theoretical world of University U that would make a lot if sense. But here in the real world Kyle was never going to turn the reins of his offense over to a rookie who came into the league with the LEAST amount of experience of any prospect who has been drafted that high in over 20 years. Not with a locker room full of players who thought they had a legitimate shot at getting back to the Super Bowl and were very supportive of the QB who was currently on the roster and had actually taken them to the Super Bowl the year before. There was almost no realistic scenario under which Lance would have started this year outside of Jimmy getting injured again. sorry to disappoint.

First of all, the hypothetical situation that was presented implies that Kyle is gifted the hindsight to know that going with Jimmy wasn't worth the 6-6 record and overall mediocre season that resulted.

Second, if Kyle wasn't willing to turn over his offense to the "rookie who came into the league with the LEAST amount of experience of any prospect who has been drafted that high in over 20 years", why would he be willing to turn it over to the least experienced second year QB? Trey's lack of experience as a starting QB isn't going to be solved from the bench.

Third, every team goes into the season deluding themselves about how good they can be and we were no different, but they knew that the "QB who was currently on the roster and had actually taken them to the Super Bowl" was on the way out the moment the team spent 3 first round picks to draft his replacement. This idea that they'd "revolt" if the team went with Trey from the beginning is far more fantastical than anything I've ever suggested.

Fourth, why are you acting so snotty about it? It's ok to disagree, but you don't know any better about how things would have turned out if Trey had been the focus from the beginning than I do. I have my doubts about it resulting in a worse season than we've already had. The worst case is that starting damages Trey's development, but I have a lot of doubts that that would have been the case. I trust this coaching staff to be able to put him in favorable situations, especially if he had the benefit of getting all of the starter reps from the beginning.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
What If JG takes a pay cut next year to remain with the team because Kyle believes Lance needs more time to develop? .. this place would explode.

Nothing would surprise me, but I find that scenario unlikely for a lot of reasons.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Nothing would surprise me, but I find that scenario unlikely for a lot of reasons.

It does seem unlikely, but remains a real possibility.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
A lot of bold statements based purely off assumptions and speculation 🤣🤣.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I do. I care

Share 49ersWebzone