There are 208 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
If he could do it all over again, he'd probably just give Trey the job from day one and focus everything on getting Trey ready to be the starter and building the offense around his skillset.

I seriously doubt that. More magical thinking from the graduates at Unicorn U.

At least graduates from Unicorn U understand that paying a QB that won't be here beyond this year 25 million to help lead the team to a 6-6 record is not ideal.

Especially since it potentially slowed down the development of the rookie QB you spent 3 first rounders on.

Plus, perhaps an offense focused on a single direction from the beginning might have started the season a little sharper than one that spent time practicing plays designed for multiple QBs that ended up not even being used and likely had little impact on how defenses prepared for us.

Well yes, I suppose in the theoretical world of University U that would make a lot if sense. But here in the real world Kyle was never going to turn the reins of his offense over to a rookie who came into the league with the LEAST amount of experience of any prospect who has been drafted that high in over 20 years. Not with a locker room full of players who thought they had a legitimate shot at getting back to the Super Bowl and were very supportive of the QB who was currently on the roster and had actually taken them to the Super Bowl the year before. There was almost no realistic scenario under which Lance would have started this year outside of Jimmy getting injured again. sorry to disappoint.

First of all, the hypothetical situation that was presented implies that Kyle is gifted the hindsight to know that going with Jimmy wasn't worth the 6-6 record and overall mediocre season that resulted.

Second, if Kyle wasn't willing to turn over his offense to the "rookie who came into the league with the LEAST amount of experience of any prospect who has been drafted that high in over 20 years", why would he be willing to turn it over to the least experienced second year QB? Trey's lack of experience as a starting QB isn't going to be solved from the bench.

Third, every team goes into the season deluding themselves about how good they can be and we were no different, but they knew that the "QB who was currently on the roster and had actually taken them to the Super Bowl" was on the way out the moment the team spent 3 first round picks to draft his replacement. This idea that they'd "revolt" if the team went with Trey from the beginning is far more fantastical than anything I've ever suggested.

Fourth, why are you acting so snotty about it? It's ok to disagree, but you don't know any better about how things would have turned out if Trey had been the focus from the beginning than I do. I have my doubts about it resulting in a worse season than we've already had. The worst case is that starting damages Trey's development, but I have a lot of doubts that that would have been the case. I trust this coaching staff to be able to put him in favorable situations, especially if he had the benefit of getting all of the starter reps from the beginning.

But we don't live in a hypothetical world do we and there are rarely any do overs in life so I don't see much value in trying to make that case.

By next year Lance will have had the benefit of two full OTAs, two full training camps, two full pre-seasons plus all of the time he spent on the practice field and running the scout team and in the film room and in the weight room and working with coaches and learning from the other players. If after all that he is still the same player he was when he got drafted then the team is in serious trouble. Fortunately I don't think that will be the case, but time will tell

That's a very simplistic argument. Sure every team starts the season with a fresh slate and dreams of glory but not every team was in the previous year's Super Bowl. And not every team had what many football types thought was a possible championship roster. I am pretty sure that no one in Jacksonville, or Jets land, or Detroit seriously thought they would really be headed to LA at the end of the year. Of all the teams going into this season I think the 49ers had a pretty good reason to think they could make a run again and I doubt that they could have been considered "deluded" for thinking so, Also I never used the word revolt, just saying that when you have a guy who is popular in the locker room and helped get your team to a recent Super Bowl you would be risking a lot by just handing the team over to a rookie that had barely played. The chemistry of this teams locker room is commented on all the time seems like something you wouldn't want to mess with unless it was absolutely necessary. Not saying it couldn't be done, but you would need to have an awful special rookie to make it work.

I don't claim to know how things would have turned out if Lance had been starting from day one, No one does. No one can know because it didn't happen. My argument has always been the same which is, given the specific circumstances of this season, Lance was never going to start this year for any reason other than an injury to Jimmy or complete and total meltdown by the team so what's the point of making all of these "if only" and "what if" arguments or assuming that Lance would somehow have been the better choice with the benefit of having seen him play only six quarters of okay football at an NFL level. He may in fact turn out to be everything the team hoped he would be when they drafted him, or he may end up being just another average NFL QB. There is simply no way to know at this point. Personally I am hoping for the former but, again, time will tell.

As to your last point it could be because I'm snotty and arrogant,but I'm only guessing.
[ Edited by 49ers81 on Dec 9, 2021 at 1:27 PM ]

If he could do it all over again, he'd probably just give Trey the job from day one and focus everything on getting Trey ready to be the starter and building the offense around his skillset.

At least graduates from Unicorn U understand that paying a QB that won't be here beyond this year 25 million to help lead the team to a 6-6 record is not ideal.

Especially since it potentially slowed down the development of the rookie QB you spent 3 first rounders on.

Plus, perhaps an offense focused on a single direction from the beginning might have started the season a little sharper than one that spent time practicing plays designed for multiple QBs that ended up not even being used and likely had little impact on how defenses prepared for us.

Well yes, I suppose in the theoretical world of University U that would make a lot if sense. But here in the real world Kyle was never going to turn the reins of his offense over to a rookie who came into the league with the LEAST amount of experience of any prospect who has been drafted that high in over 20 years. Not with a locker room full of players who thought they had a legitimate shot at getting back to the Super Bowl and were very supportive of the QB who was currently on the roster and had actually taken them to the Super Bowl the year before. There was almost no realistic scenario under which Lance would have started this year outside of Jimmy getting injured again. sorry to disappoint.

First of all, the hypothetical situation that was presented implies that Kyle is gifted the hindsight to know that going with Jimmy wasn't worth the 6-6 record and overall mediocre season that resulted.

Second, if Kyle wasn't willing to turn over his offense to the "rookie who came into the league with the LEAST amount of experience of any prospect who has been drafted that high in over 20 years", why would he be willing to turn it over to the least experienced second year QB? Trey's lack of experience as a starting QB isn't going to be solved from the bench.

Third, every team goes into the season deluding themselves about how good they can be and we were no different, but they knew that the "QB who was currently on the roster and had actually taken them to the Super Bowl" was on the way out the moment the team spent 3 first round picks to draft his replacement. This idea that they'd "revolt" if the team went with Trey from the beginning is far more fantastical than anything I've ever suggested.

Fourth, why are you acting so snotty about it? It's ok to disagree, but you don't know any better about how things would have turned out if Trey had been the focus from the beginning than I do. I have my doubts about it resulting in a worse season than we've already had. The worst case is that starting damages Trey's development, but I have a lot of doubts that that would have been the case. I trust this coaching staff to be able to put him in favorable situations, especially if he had the benefit of getting all of the starter reps from the beginning.

But we don't live in a hypothetical world do we and there are rarely any do overs in life so I don't see much value in trying to make that case.

By next year Lance will have had the benefit of two full OTAs, two full training camps, two full pre-seasons plus all of the time he spent on the practice field and running the scout team and in the film room and in the weight room and working with coaches and learning from the other players. If after all that he is still the same player he was when he got drafted then the team is in serious trouble. Fortunately I don't think that will be the case, but time will tell

That's a very simplistic argument. Sure every team starts the season with a fresh slate and dreams of glory but not every team was in the previous year's Super Bowl. And not every team had what many football types thought was a possible championship roster. I am pretty sure that no one in Jacksonville, or Jets land, or Detroit seriously thought they would really be headed to LA at the end of the year. Of all the teams going into this season I think the 49ers had a pretty good reason to think they could make a run again and I doubt that they could have been considered "deluded" for thinking so, Also I never used the word revolt, just saying that when you have a guy who is popular in the locker room and helped get your team to a recent Super Bowl you would be risking a lot by just handing the team over to a rookie that had barely played. The chemistry of this teams locker room is commented on all the time seems like something you wouldn't want to mess with unless it was absolutely necessary. Not saying it couldn't be done, but you would need to have an awful special rookie to make it work.

I don't claim to know how things would have turned out if Lance had been starting from day one, No one does. No one can know because it didn't happen. My argument has always been the same which is, given the specific circumstances of this season, Lance was never going to start this year for any reason other than an injury to Jimmy or complete and total meltdown by the team so what's the point of making all of these "if only" and "what if" arguments or assuming that Lance would somehow have been the better choice with the benefit of having seen him play only six quarters of okay football at an NFL level. He may in fact turn out to be everything the team hoped he would be when they drafted him, or he may end up being just another average NFL QB. There is simply no way to know at this point. Personally I am hoping for the former but, again, time will tell.

As to your last point it could be because I'm snotty and arrogant,but I'm only guessing.

Agree! So much back and forth on here, all about "What if's", and "If only" and the conversations never change anybody's opinions but that doesn't stop the hypothetical arguments from sprouting up over everything and anything. It would be a big laugh if it weren't for the fact that virtually everybody that posts these things actually has no clue what the coaches are thinking, they aren't friends with any players and they've never attended any of the player/coaches meetings. But they sure know what's going on at the facility, don't they?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Did you watch the Cardinals game? Shanny had Trey running the ball like he was a damn RB and it was the Super Bowl. Very short-sighted and dangerous and got Trey hurt. I don't trust Shanny very much if at all to develop Trey. He's made Jimmy regress as well.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Did you watch the Cardinals game? Shanny had Trey running the ball like he was a damn RB and it was the Super Bowl. Very short-sighted and dangerous and got Trey hurt. I don't trust Shanny very much if at all to develop Trey. He's made Jimmy regress as well.

How is Kyle to blame for Trey's injury when no one knows during which play it happened?
Originally posted by evil:

How is Kyle to blame for Trey's injury when no one knows during which play it happened?
He grabs his knee after his collision at the goalline

Jimmy didn't regress. Teams just got film on him. He got exposed, then he lost confidence. Just like what happened with Kap.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

Jimmy didn't regress. Teams just got film on him. He got exposed, then he lost confidence. Just like what happened with Kap.

This.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

This.

Teams got film on him throwing the ball straight to their players.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Teams got film on him throwing the ball straight to their players.

Sad..but true

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
What If JG takes a pay cut next year to remain with the team because Kyle believes Lance needs more time to develop? .. this place would explode.

Nothing would surprise me, but I find that scenario unlikely for a lot of reasons.

It does seem unlikely, but remains a real possibility.

Any thing is possible, but I'd be shocked if Jimmy is back next year.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 9, 2021 at 7:50 PM ]
Cmon Trey! Please get us out of this QB purgatory we've been in since Steve retired.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NinersFan52:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
I believe if Kyle had it all to do over again, he would have had an open competition in TC.

Jimmy G would've won that hands down. He knows the offense, is experienced, and wouldn't have an issue show casing that in practice. If training camp opened right now you would have a different story. Trey would be too far behind the power curve of learning the NFL and Kyle's playbook.

Who cares at this point...great he knows the offense that Kyle wants to run with him more, they're 6-6 with that going on. Kyle said Lance knew the playbook back in TC, he literally said that during TC and a couple weeks ago during a presser. He said he just needs reps running the offense, which he's not gonna get by holding a clipboard

So I'm assuming a49erfan77 cares bc he made the hypothetical suggestion of having an open competition in camp. In that scenario I'm under the assumption that Kyle doesn't have his crystal ball to know what the teams record is with both QBs, so he is basing his "TC competition" on how they actually do in TC. If that's the case Jimmy G would've, and did perform better (albeit with more starter reps). Just looking at numbers everyday it was pretty clear who was doing better. Learning Kyle's playbook is not just about learning the X's and O's of a play, but also learning every nuisance of it. That's the thing that takes time. Combine that with adjusting to NFL speed and coverages and Jimmy G had the clear advantage to Trey in his first TC.

im not saying that Trey wouldn't have progressed very fast during the season or shouldn't have been given the reins. Just that if a TC competition was used to decide the starter, and it was judged by someone non bias, I believe Jimmy G would've won hands down.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
I believe if Kyle had it all to do over again, he would have had an open competition in TC.

Jimmy G would've won that hands down. He knows the offense, is experienced, and wouldn't have an issue show casing that in practice. If training camp opened right now you would have a different story. Trey would be too far behind the power curve of learning the NFL and Kyle's playbook.

Who cares at this point...great he knows the offense that Kyle wants to run with him more, they're 6-6 with that going on. Kyle said Lance knew the playbook back in TC, he literally said that during TC and a couple weeks ago during a presser. He said he just needs reps running the offense, which he's not gonna get by holding a clipboard

So I'm assuming a49erfan77 cares bc he made the hypothetical suggestion of having an open competition in camp. In that scenario I'm under the assumption that Kyle doesn't have his crystal ball to know what the teams record is with both QBs, so he is basing his "TC competition" on how they actually do in TC. If that's the case Jimmy G would've, and did perform better (albeit with more starter reps). Just looking at numbers everyday it was pretty clear who was doing better. Learning Kyle's playbook is not just about learning the X's and O's of a play, but also learning every nuisance of it. That's the thing that takes time. Combine that with adjusting to NFL speed and coverages and Jimmy G had the clear advantage to Trey in his first TC.

im not saying that Trey wouldn't have progressed very fast during the season or shouldn't have been given the reins. Just that if a TC competition was used to decide the starter, and it was judged by someone non bias, I believe Jimmy G would've won hands down.

I don't know - I think Kyle might have fallen in love with Trey's arm and running ability. Might have been closer than predicted.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 9, 2021 at 11:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Cmon Trey! Please get us out of this QB purgatory we've been in since Steve retired.

This is exactly what I´ve been saying the whole season.

It seems to me that Niner fans don´t realize that Jimmy is a black-haired Andy Dalton when he was in Cincinnati and we are stuck in QB purgatory with him because those fans always want to talk about Jimmy´s noodle arm or Jimmy´s record as starter or Jimmy´s bonehead decisions and they don´t see the big picture and the big picture is that we are stuck in neutral with him and we need to move on as soon as possible.

Jimmy will have a bad game and fans will want to get rid of him. Then the next week he will have an efficient game and fans will want to stick with him and the circle never ends.

It´s time to move on but I know that Trey won´t play this year even if we lose the next 2 games and I don´t even know if we´re going to move on from Jimmy next year because Shanahan has been so inconsistent with his decisions that sticking with Jimmy one more year wouldn´t surprise me.
Share 49ersWebzone