There are 553 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Cmon Trey! Please get us out of this QB purgatory we've been in since Steve retired.

This is exactly what I´ve been saying the whole season.

It seems to me that Niner fans don´t realize that Jimmy is a black-haired Andy Dalton when he was in Cincinnati and we are stuck in QB purgatory with him because those fans always want to talk about Jimmy´s noodle arm or Jimmy´s record as starter or Jimmy´s bonehead decisions and they don´t see the big picture and the big picture is that we are stuck in neutral with him and we need to move on as soon as possible.

Jimmy will have a bad game and fans will want to get rid of him. Then the next week he will have an efficient game and fans will want to stick with him and the circle never ends.

It´s time to move on but I know that Trey won´t play this year even if we lose the next 2 games and I don´t even know if we´re going to move on from Jimmy next year because Shanahan has been so inconsistent with his decisions that sticking with Jimmy one more year wouldn´t surprise me.

I'd be shocked if Shanny brought back Jimmy for another year.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 10, 2021 at 3:55 AM ]
I really hope Trey Lance does wonders for this Franchise and wins the 6th and more! None of can really tell us what's going to happen with him, but:

Originally posted by NinersFan52:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NinersFan52:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
I believe if Kyle had it all to do over again, he would have had an open competition in TC.

Jimmy G would've won that hands down. He knows the offense, is experienced, and wouldn't have an issue show casing that in practice. If training camp opened right now you would have a different story. Trey would be too far behind the power curve of learning the NFL and Kyle's playbook.

Who cares at this point...great he knows the offense that Kyle wants to run with him more, they're 6-6 with that going on. Kyle said Lance knew the playbook back in TC, he literally said that during TC and a couple weeks ago during a presser. He said he just needs reps running the offense, which he's not gonna get by holding a clipboard

So I'm assuming a49erfan77 cares bc he made the hypothetical suggestion of having an open competition in camp. In that scenario I'm under the assumption that Kyle doesn't have his crystal ball to know what the teams record is with both QBs, so he is basing his "TC competition" on how they actually do in TC. If that's the case Jimmy G would've, and did perform better (albeit with more starter reps). Just looking at numbers everyday it was pretty clear who was doing better. Learning Kyle's playbook is not just about learning the X's and O's of a play, but also learning every nuisance of it. That's the thing that takes time. Combine that with adjusting to NFL speed and coverages and Jimmy G had the clear advantage to Trey in his first TC.

im not saying that Trey wouldn't have progressed very fast during the season or shouldn't have been given the reins. Just that if a TC competition was used to decide the starter, and it was judged by someone non bias, I believe Jimmy G would've won hands down.

I meant knowing what he knows now. That we'd be 6-6 and nowhere near a Super Bowl caliber team.
I found this quote from a recent interview pretty interesting...

"So, that was something that I was excited about, going into the year, to where even if Jimmy [Garoppolo] did earn the job, like he did, I still planned on, because of their different skill sets, using Trey in some of those, which we did at the beginning of the year."

But it wasn't a competition?? Or was there no competition because he did enough to earn the job before one could start?

"So, that was something that I was excited about, going into the year, to where even if Jimmy [Garoppolo] did earn the job, like he did, I still planned on, because of their different skill sets, using Trey in some of those, which we did at the beginning of the year."

But it wasn't a competition?? Or was there no competition because he did enough to earn the job before one could start?

No, it wasn't a competition. If it was a competition, the first team reps would have been shared evenly in camp, as directly stated by Shanahan:

"Yeah, there's no open competition right now in terms of getting equal reps with the same group. Jimmy is coming in as the No. 1 and Trey is coming in as the No. 2."

Nevertheless, even though it wasn't a true competition, each starting job is still earned.
One can hope Trey has been doing as Steve suggests here:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/153437-steve-young-offers-advice-49ers-rookie-during-potential/
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

No, it wasn't a competition. If it was a competition, the first team reps would have been shared evenly in camp, as directly stated by Shanahan:

"Yeah, there's no open competition right now in terms of getting equal reps with the same group. Jimmy is coming in as the No. 1 and Trey is coming in as the No. 2."

Nevertheless, even though it wasn't a true competition, each starting job is still earned.

Never listen to what a coach says in front of media as truth. Coaches never reveal truth to media. Fact is if Trey is a better option what tin foil hat reason do you have to dream up to explain why he wouldn't be starting? KS wants to win games right? If Trey is better he's gonna be in there, period.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Never listen to what a coach says in front of media as truth. Coaches never reveal truth to media. Fact is if Trey is a better option what tin foil hat reason do you have to dream up to explain why he wouldn't be starting? KS wants to win games right? If Trey is better he's gonna be in there, period.

Fact is Trey literally did not receive first team reps until the practice with the Chargers, and even then it was only a few. Fact is Shanahan said as much, and every single beat writer that watched practices confirmed as much.

There was no real competition. And right now, Jimmy is probably the better option. Had Trey been given first team reps at the start of camp and the start at the start of the season, I am very, very confident the team would be better right now, because the QB would be better. The question is, would getting that way have cost a few wins, and the answer is probably. Rookies have a hard time. But by now, Trey would overall be better.
^^ But again, doing so wasn't much of an option, because getting to that point would have probably cost us games we won.
Fact is Trey literally did not receive first team reps until the practice with the Chargers, and even then it was only a few. Fact is Shanahan said as much, and every single beat writer that watched practices confirmed as much.

There was no real competition. And right now, Jimmy is probably the better option. Had Trey been given first team reps at the start of camp and the start at the start of the season, I am very, very confident the team would be better right now, because the QB would be better. The question is, would getting that way have cost a few wins, and the answer is probably. Rookies have a hard time. But by now, Trey would overall be better.

Trust the plan. It's been clear that Trey is more of a project QB and JG is the bridge QB let's play the plan out we're in the playoff hunt. No fault to Trey but coming from 2020 when he didn't play and 2019 when he was at the FCS level it's a big culture shock I'm sure for him to be in SF vs NFL players that's gotta be a lot to adjust to.

Keep up the great work!

Cmon Trey! Please get us out of this QB purgatory we've been in since Steve retired.

For real, we're rooting for him to become the franchise. There are kids who are now of drinking age since we last had a true FQB.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

For real, we're rooting for him to become the franchise. There are kids who are now of drinking age since we last had a true FQB.

If we drop out of the playoff race, I think then we'll see Trey.
Originally posted by mayo49:

That doesn't deserve a smiley
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by mayo49:

That doesn't deserve a smiley

Yeah, I know - I'm rooting for Trey.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 10, 2021 at 1:39 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone