There are 513 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Fact is Trey literally did not receive first team reps until the practice with the Chargers, and even then it was only a few. Fact is Shanahan said as much, and every single beat writer that watched practices confirmed as much.

There was no real competition. And right now, Jimmy is probably the better option. Had Trey been given first team reps at the start of camp and the start at the start of the season, I am very, very confident the team would be better right now, because the QB would be better. The question is, would getting that way have cost a few wins, and the answer is probably. Rookies have a hard time. But by now, Trey would overall be better.

Trust the plan. It's been clear that Trey is more of a project QB and JG is the bridge QB let's play the plan out we're in the playoff hunt. No fault to Trey but coming from 2020 when he didn't play and 2019 when he was at the FCS level it's a big culture shock I'm sure for him to be in SF vs NFL players that's gotta be a lot to adjust to.

Yeah, that's true. But his off-season training got him better than the 49ers coaches thought he would have been. He'd be ready to be a competent starter if he'd have had the previous 12 games to cut his teeth. It wasn't Trey's development that kept him on the bench. It was the fact that we have a playoff caliber team and didn't need to be squandering winnable games by playing a rookie. "Trust the plan," sure, but the plan is to win now and the future. And Jimmy was always going to be the best option for the early and mid part of the season. If Trey started, we probably have two more losses earlier in the year. I reiterate that I believe we'd be a better team by now, but we'd also be basically out of contention.

I know you're skeptical of this. But unless Jimmy gets us a ring, he's definitely gone next year. And Trey will be ready. Why? Because even though he may not be fully ready to sit in a pocket and dissect defenses, he will be able to use his legs to bail himself out.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Cmon Trey! Please get us out of this QB purgatory we've been in since Steve retired.

For real, we're rooting for him to become the franchise. There are kids who are now of drinking age since we last had a true FQB.

If we drop out of the playoff race, I think then we'll see Trey.

That doesn't deserve a smiley

Yeah, I know - I'm rooting for Trey.

Switch or belt, you decide.
Cmon Trey! Please get us out of this QB purgatory we've been in since Steve retired.

For real, we're rooting for him to become the franchise. There are kids who are now of drinking age since we last had a true FQB.

One is not exclusive of the other.
Howse about . . . Switch and belt? Or rather . . . Incorporate and belt?

I'd wager that the Niners win this week. Kyle will scheme to the Bengal's weaknesses play into what Garoppolo does best. But it's what happens after that which will matter. Does Shanahan have the foresight manage this success?

Garoppolo is the Steve Deberg of the 2020's. It's already late days. Irrespective of the next game's outcome, Trey Lance HAS to be getting some serious practice with the ones. And game exposure too. Thinking long and short term, that's critical to Trey's level of "readiness". Which may also be needed if we make it as far as the play-offs this season.

Anything else is a waste, as Steve Young put it. I do have my doubts that Shanahan gets on with it, though. It'll be a wasted opportunity.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

I'd wager that the Niners win this week. Kyle will scheme to the Bengal's weaknesses play into what Garoppolo does best. But it's what happens after that which will matter. Does Shanahan have the foresight manage this success?

Garoppolo is the Steve Deberg of the 2020's. It's already late days. Irrespective of the next game's outcome, Trey Lance HAS to be getting some serious practice with the ones. And game exposure too. Thinking long and short term, that's critical to Trey's level of "readiness". Which may also be needed if we make it as far as the play-offs this season.

Anything else is a waste, as Steve Young put it. I do have my doubts that Shanahan gets on with it, though. It'll be a wasted opportunity.

It's best for Trey and the team long term, but possibly not the 2021 49ers, and in Shanahan's scales, it has to be that 2021 carries more weight. He'll risk losing the team if he benches Jimmy and Trey doesn't immediately show he's obviously better (unless the team is eliminated or essentially eliminated).
Y'al would really rather have Trey Start then make the playoffs? Wow
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ermark:

No, I'd rather have the team make the playoffs.

Sadly I think there are a lot of fans who feel that way
Originally posted by Roryslosh:

Rooting to tank when you're out of it is one thing. But if you have a chance, good god there is only on choice: root for playoffs.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Roryslosh:

Rooting to tank when you're out of it is one thing. But if you have a chance, good god there is only on choice: root for playoffs.

Yep.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

It's best for Trey and the team long term, but possibly not the 2021 49ers, and in Shanahan's scales, it has to be that 2021 carries more weight. He'll risk losing the team if he benches Jimmy and Trey doesn't immediately show he's obviously better (unless the team is eliminated or essentially eliminated).

I still need to be convinced Trey is the man before we say bye to Jimmy G. It is hard to say without seeing him in a game doing more then just handing it off. We might know if JG gets hurt before the end of the season or in the pre season. I would think it a very brave move to move JG on before KS and JL are 100% Trey is better. I still need some convincing but I do not see him every week with the scout team.

Take notes young man. This is how you drive down the field when it matters.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Take notes young man. This is how you drive down the field when it matters.

And even twice, if your kicker makes you do it again...
Originally posted by Goatie:
I still need to be convinced Trey is the man before we say bye to Jimmy G. It is hard to say without seeing him in a game doing more then just handing it off. We might know if JG gets hurt before the end of the season or in the pre season. I would think it a very brave move to move JG on before KS and JL are 100% Trey is better. I still need some convincing but I do not see him every week with the scout team.

Jimmy is under contract for one more year. In a perfect world the team would have both he and Lance in camp next season to let them battle it out for the starting job. I mean really battle it out in an open competition no favoritism or veteran handicaps given. Whoever demonstrates through mini camps, OTA's, training camp and pre-season that they are the best qualified to lead the team gets the nod. However, that isn't likely to happen. Given Jimmy's salary and the number of other players that they are going to have to start looking to take care of, in addition to what may very well be their desire to try and recoup some of the draft capitol they invested in Lance, I suspect that this will be Jimmy's last rodeo with the team. I hope he will take them out in style and make a legitimate run for the ring. If they can do that it will help make this a place that FA's would still see as a attractive destination and give Lance some additional incentive to come in and play his best.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

"Trey Lance is a legend at Beat Saber." - Jed York
Share 49ersWebzone