Cardinals stun turnover-plagued 49ers 24-23 after second-half comeback →

There are 638 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

I remember first reading about the VR back with BeatHard. Hopefully it's improved greatly since then.

That's a very unique technology. I can see how it would speed up Treys learning.
Originally posted by random49er:

I've thought alot about this lately regarding Lance and the technology that is now out there.

Glad to hear our ownership confirming that we're putting it to good use.

For as much as some say him sitting is hurting him, I think things like this are intrical to his development. This has been discussed nonstop but watch guys like Fields, Wilson, and Lawrence and I don't see them really developing. There was never any need to rush this 21 year old kid.
[ Edited by TreyDeyEeyDey on Dec 13, 2021 at 6:04 PM ]
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:

I've thought alot about this lately regarding Lance and the technology that is now out there.

For as much as some say him sitting is hurting him, I think things like this are intrical to his development. This has been discussed nonstop but watch guys like Fields, Wilson, and Lawrence and I don't see them really developing. There was never any need to rush this 21 year old kid.

You don't think it was beneficial for Burrow and Herbert to start their first year?

We'll see how the rookies from this year, do next year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I agree. The important thing is to preserve that confidence. The rookies starting right now are getting hit on their confidence. Again, everybody is different. Steve Young said he liked being put in that situation, whereas Alex Smith said he'd liked to have sat a bit before starting. If the rookie has that internal fortitude, then starting won't harm him and help him, but if his internal fortitude is lacking - then starting him could damage him permanently. Everybody is different, but why take the chance. Let Trey sit, preserve that confidence and teach him what he needs to learn for next year.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I agree. The important thing is to preserve that confidence. The rookies starting right now are getting hit on their confidence. Again, everybody is different. Steve Young said he liked being put in that situation, whereas Alex Smith said he'd liked to have sat a bit before starting. If the rookie has that internal fortitude, then starting won't harm him and help him, but if his internal fortitude is lacking - then starting him could damage him permanently. Everybody is different, but why take the chance. Let Trey sit, preserve that confidence and teach him what he needs to learn for next year.

If the most important thing was to preserve his confidence wouldn't you think they would give him some snaps after throwing him out against the best team in the NFC without Kittle or Trent Williams?

It's like people forgot how many times Trey started a drive with a 1st and 20 due to repeated penalties by the offensive line that game and how we essentially treated him like he couldn't throw. Worst called game by Shanahan by far this season.

I've always said that I think Trey needs more playing time this season but there's no way to know for sure which avenue is best to develop a young QB. Just have to trust Shanahan and hope he's making the right decision.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:

If the most important thing was to preserve his confidence wouldn't you think they would give him some snaps after throwing him out against the best team in the NFC without Kittle or Trent Williams?

It's like people forgot how many times Trey started a drive with a 1st and 20 due to repeated penalties by the offensive line that game and how we essentially treated him like he couldn't throw. Worst called game by Shanahan by far this season.

I've always said that I think Trey needs more playing time this season but there's no way to know for sure which avenue is best to develop a young QB. Just have to trust Shanahan and hope he's making the right decision.

Trey had to play vs AZ because of Jimmy's injury, not because preserving Trey's confidence wasn't important.

As for the offensive penalties, Jimmy has to deal with that too, but can overcome them. Trey's not at that level yet.

Trey isn't at the point in Kyle's offense where he can go through his progressions as fast as Jimmy. He is simply too slow at this point because he's not had the reps yet (ie. the AZ game was 5th game of the season, and he was basically the scout team QB prior to that.)

What I do see is a very promising Talent. Rocket arm, mobility, good mind and he does want to throw more than run. It's the 6 inches between his ears that's the unknown. But from what I saw, on some plays, he read to his 2nd and 3rd progressions, and he threw some darts between defenders that I don't think Jimmy could even dare to do. He threw some long balls that - if he had more reps with his WR's - those would have been possible completions. But can he do what Jimmy can do in the fourth QTR behind with the game on the line? That's still to be decided. I'm trusting Kyle on that one.

I remember first reading about the VR back with BeatHard. Hopefully it's improved greatly since then.

That's a very unique technology. I can see how it would speed up Treys learning.

This reminds me of rocky iv

Dragos technology couldn't defeat rockys heart and old school training.

Vr training won't help you when aaron donald is about to kill you.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

This reminds me of rocky iv

Dragos technology couldn't defeat rockys heart and old school training.

Vr training won't help you when aaron donald is about to kill you.

Agree -- it's Instincts vs training. You can't coach the kind of 6th sense instincts that Joe had. Same with Haley, he just knew when you were play faking and sack the QB, and he would know that the next play would be a screen and intercept the ball. Instincts. We'll see what kind of Instincts Trey will have, once he's QB 1.

The only thing I got from the AZ game was that this kid has all the physical and mental talents to operate - and a good level - Kyles offense. The jury is out on how great he can elevate his game and Kyles offense, and how good his QB instincts are.
Agree -- it's Instincts vs training. You can't coach the kind of 6th sense instincts that Joe had. Same with Haley, he just knew when you were play faking and sack the QB, and he would know that the next play would be a screen and intercept the ball. Instincts. We'll see what kind of Instincts Trey will have, once he's QB 1.

The only thing I got from the AZ game was that this kid has all the physical and mental talents to operate - and a good level - Kyles offense. The jury is out on how great he can elevate his game and Kyles offense, and how good his QB instincts are.

lol I think Charles Haley just hit the QB regardless. Back when you could actually do that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

lol I think Charles Haley just hit the QB regardless. Back when you could actually do that.

I think we got the 21st century version of Haley in Bosa. I think he has the same talent level of instincts that Haley had. The thing about it is Walsh didn't have to give up a 1st round pick for Haley.

If Trey wants to play until he's forty, I think this day and age, he can -- and that's a good thing for us and for him, if he can bring about a Steve Young type of QB play to the position. Kyle's offense will be unstoppable, the only question would be how good will Kyle's defense be when Trey is playing.

By the start of next season he'll be able to beat anyone on the planet at Oculus Madden 22
Originally posted by IGSXIII:

By the start of next season he'll be able to beat anyone on the planet at Oculus Madden 22

Trey had to play vs AZ because of Jimmy's injury, not because preserving Trey's confidence wasn't important.

As for the offensive penalties, Jimmy has to deal with that too, but can overcome them. Trey's not at that level yet.

Trey isn't at the point in Kyle's offense where he can go through his progressions as fast as Jimmy. He is simply too slow at this point because he's not had the reps yet (ie. the AZ game was 5th game of the season, and he was basically the scout team QB prior to that.)

What I do see is a very promising Talent. Rocket arm, mobility, good mind and he does want to throw more than run. It's the 6 inches between his ears that's the unknown. But from what I saw, on some plays, he read to his 2nd and 3rd progressions, and he threw some darts between defenders that I don't think Jimmy could even dare to do. He threw some long balls that - if he had more reps with his WR's - those would have been possible completions. But can he do what Jimmy can do in the fourth QTR behind with the game on the line? That's still to be decided. I'm trusting Kyle on that one.

Well I kinda disagree with the bolded considering Lance converted a 1 and 20 and a 2nd and 25 in that Arizona game into first downs.

But, there's certainly several things Jimmy G is probably better at than Lance at this point. You brought up one of them.

It's just that when I went back and watched that Arizona game with Lance... I really think that was the worst play calling game I've ever seen from Shanahan and it was the worst performance from the offense the whole season, not just Lance. I seriously mean that. And I'm not absolving Lance for his play. He looked like a 21 yo rookie in his first game.

And I don't think it was just that game. The play calling of Shanahan against Greenbay and Seattle as well were just as awful for Jimmy G too. I think coaches can get into a bad funk just like Quarterbacks and Kyle was certainly in one at that point in the season.

My original point was to say, shouldn't we try to have Lance end on a positive note instead of ending on a negative one (the Cardinals game)? I'm not saying he needs to start but if we're up big against Atlanta or Houston maybe give him a couple drives.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

You don't think it was beneficial for Burrow and Herbert to start their first year?

We'll see how the rookies from this year, do next year.

You cannot compare the offensive skill players that Herbert and Burrow had the luxury of working with their rookie years vs. what Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson have going for them now. With all this said Herbert and Burrow are without question, special talents.
[ Edited by 49erminion on Dec 14, 2021 at 9:24 AM ]
Well I kinda disagree with the bolded considering Lance converted a 1 and 20 and a 2nd and 25 in that Arizona game into first downs.

But, there's certainly several things Jimmy G is probably better at than Lance at this point. You brought up one of them.

It's just that when I went back and watched that Arizona game with Lance... I really think that was the worst play calling game I've ever seen from Shanahan and it was the worst performance from the offense the whole season, not just Lance. I seriously mean that. And I'm not absolving Lance for his play. He looked like a 21 yo rookie in his first game.

And I don't think it was just that game. The play calling of Shanahan against Greenbay and Seattle as well were just as awful for Jimmy G too. I think coaches can get into a bad funk just like Quarterbacks and Kyle was certainly in one at that point in the season.

My original point was to say, shouldn't we try to have Lance end on a positive note instead of ending on a negative one (the Cardinals game)? I'm not saying he needs to start but if we're up big against Atlanta or Houston maybe give him a couple drives.

We were 2-3 with the Trey package and 5-3 without it. Glad we moved on. Hard to play QB when the first drive of the season you get tapped on the shoulder and yanked from the game.

Trey will have many years of time. This idea that game action is much different from what he's doing now. He's going against NFL players every day. The learning has to be off the charts. Even if he went in with a big lead what exactly would he be doing aside from handing off? Are you saying we're gonna be chucking deep with a big lead just to kick the tires on Trey?
Share 49ersWebzone