There are 391 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Sam Darnold went for a future second rounder plus some…. If you think Jimmy won't garner what Sam did….and if you think we'd let him go for anything less than max value….

Nevermind. Just bookmark some of these silly posts… we'll come back to them

Yeah, i mean Checkdown Alex never made it to the super bowl as a starting QB, and he got 2 seconds. We'll see how it goes. Just freeing up 27 million in cap space is already a significant value, in addition to any draft capital we recover.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Sam Darnold went for a future second rounder plus some…. If you think Jimmy won't garner what Sam did….and if you think we'd let him go for anything less than max value….

Yeah, i mean Checkdown Alex never made it to the super bowl as a starting QB, and he got 2 seconds. We'll see how it goes. Just freeing up 27 million in cap space is already a significant value, in addition to any draft capital we recover.

Yup talk about the cap space from JG, Ford, and an additional 26 or so (around there i forget the exact amount) from the cap going up. Contracts are going look become more expensive with a rising cap. Need to use that cap to lock up Deebo, Bosa and others long term.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Should we sign Kap to backup Lance next season?

I'd go younger, cheaper with less SJW headaches, personally. Something like Brock Rutter/Nick Mullens with mobility.

I'd go younger, cheaper with less SJW headaches, personally. Something like Brock Rutter/Nick Mullens with mobility.

I hear Nick Foles has a decent track record backing up ND State QBs
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I hear Nick Foles has a decent track record backing up ND State QBs

I'd rather just stick with Sudfeld than sign Foles. Cheaper and not much difference in level of play.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Nick Foles.

Nick Foles would start ahead of him.
I can't believe we gave up all those picks for this guy. As of right now all the rookie QB's are far better. I can't see the reason to give up what we gave at least so far. He has to improve a lot to justify his draft capital.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I can't believe we gave up all those picks for this guy. As of right now all the rookie QB's are far better. I can't see the reason to give up what we gave at least so far. He has to improve a lot to justify his draft capital.

Hoping this ages similarly to your "checking the schedule" thread

Alex did not have the injury concerns that Jimmy has. When he was traded, he was 4-5 years removed from his shoulder injury and other than the concussion that cost him his job, had remained relatively healthy.

People need to understand that there is more to trading for a player than how good he is. People are constantly pointing to how much Stafford was traded for, but fail to understand that one of the factors that went into that trade package was taking on Jared Goff's terrible contract. Same that goes for Darnold. Is Jimmy better than Darnold? 1000%. Is he almost $20M better? To some, thats a little more questionable.

Originally posted by random49er:
You never know, but Jimmy's a 2nd round value pick was back when he only had two games under his belt. I would think making it to the super bowl and having a good winning percentage, and some of his outstanding performances against the Saints, Jags, and Green Bay in 2019 wouldn't *hurt* his stock value, but rather should help it. ShanaLynch have driven hard bargains for their offensive pieces - 5th rounder for Brieda for example - I"d expect a 2nd rounder being the starting point for negotiations, not the ending point.

Potential, risk/reward, et. al. all play a factor into that value, though. As you should no, virtually no 1st round pick is even guaranteed to have a good career.

You are not really understanding the growth he should've had by now vs. the growth he's actually had,...and the fact that alot more bad tape is verifiable on film now than back then with only 2 games under his belt.

I mean,...you can propose what you want,...but the bottom line is he's going to have to look more consistent as this season closes if we're to get anything more than a 3rd for him.

Sam Darnold originally went #3 overall though. Jimmy Garoppolo almost dropped to the 3rd round (#62 overall). So it's the whole "potential" selling point instead of who's better right now vs. who's not tunnel vision thing all over again.

Like it or not but potential is a big selling point when it comes to trades. If we get a 2nd rounder we'll be lucky.

All of them are playing, maybe thats why?

#1 Overall originally. You guys seeing a theme here yet in these comparisons? lol.

A draftpick's 2nd team is always super-curious about what or how things would be different if they took that same "talent" and tried to do something with it. 3rd teams,...not-so-much.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 16, 2021 at 11:46 AM ]
I can't believe we gave up all those picks for this guy. As of right now all the rookie QB's are far better.

Zach Wilson? Really?
Trevor Lawrence? Seriously?

Question? Do you even watch NFL games? Do you even know what the NFL stands for? The game of football?

Now, if you want to make the case for Mac Jones or Justin Fields, you have a point.

Trey will get his chance. But, probably not this season.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I can't believe we gave up all those picks for this guy. As of right now all the rookie QB's are far better.

Zach Wilson? Really?
Trevor Lawrence? Seriously?

Question? Do you even watch NFL games? Do you even know what the NFL stands for? The game of football?

Now, if you want to make the case for Mac Jones or Justin Fields, you have a point.

Trey will get his chance. But, probably not this season.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone