LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 271 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
When you see Herbert making these deep throws (Mahomes as well) just lacing it 60+ yards over both safeties heads for six, it means teams have to pick their poison. Get roasted on the deep stuff, or keep safeties deep and give up the run and the underneath stuff all day. You force the defense to have to defend the entire field about 70 yards long and 53 yards wide, there's not enough men to occupy that much ground.

True. Imagine the 49ers run game coupled with Lance's big arm. I don't think Kyle drafted Lance for a ball control rhythm passing game - perhaps that will come in time. Lance was drafted for what he'll bring to the run game and his ability to hit the deeper portions of the field. imo

The numbers this year and in 2019 bear a resemblance. Both teams (2019 and 2021) are more run oriented teams. To JD's point about Lance being brought in to augment and elevate the run game is a good point. The only data point we have of the Trey Lance offense is that Arizona game where Lance ran the ball 19 times to Michell's 9.
I think that's a result of Trey not yet clearly a master of Kyle's passing attack, but it also could foreshadow the kind of offense that Kyle would like Trey to run. If it's going to be a run oriented offense, it make sense to draft running backs with various abilities, Sermon who can bang inside and Mitchell who can run the outside zone. JD's right that all the 49er receivers can run block. Both teams - the 2019 team and the 2021 team - have more attempts on the run game vs the pass. Same when Kyle was at Atlanta in 2016 - more rushing attempts than passing attempts. Atlanta, however, was known as a pretty good passing team at that time though. The '94 niners also had more rushing attempts than passing attempts and yet that offense was known for it's deep strike passing ability. So I think the fact that Kyle would design a strong run game to build round Trey, doesn't mean they will be strictly a run oriented offense and avoiding the pass. Will Kyle go more vertical than Horizontal with Trey? Personally, I think he'll just be more of a ball control hog, and stick with the - Keep away on offense, and take away on defense - philosophy.
Originally posted by 49erminion:
lmao in yo dreams about being on par with hebert. trey's arm is barely stronger than jimmys.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sickaa:
lmao in yo dreams about being on par with hebert. trey's arm is barely stronger than jimmys.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Anyone notice how hyped Lance was on the sidelines of the Bengals game? It was a small thing but I liked seeing him excited for his team like that.

Yeah, that's good to see that Trey is backing Jimmy and there's no animosity.

they are both down to earth, cool dudes.

its the fans who are insufferable

He's nowhere near Herbert talent and never will be. Herbert just has superior arm talent.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's nowhere near Herbert talent and never will be. Herbert just has superior arm talent.

Most likely that's true and I love Herbert big time but how can anyone talk Trey's talent after one game coming in for an injury day? It's makes no sense to compare him to the current draft class or anyone on the field. Let's revisit in two years.

I imagine SD types all his posts wearing one of those split jerseys it's half Mac Jones half Justin Herbert.

Anyone notice how hyped Lance was on the sidelines of the Bengals game? It was a small thing but I liked seeing him excited for his team like that.

I like how Trey gives Jimmy some space on the bench in the heat of the battle... but is still sits close enough by to pay attention to Jimmy and the coaches.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Originally posted by Afrikan:

I like how Trey gives Jimmy some space on the bench in the heat of the battle... but is still sits close enough by to pay attention to Jimmy and the coaches.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Lol it's so bizarre . SD is a good egg though
Thoughts on his mechanics? Double hitch? Does the ball drop too low? Thoughts? (asking genuinely)....

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Thoughts on his mechanics? Double hitch? Does the ball drop too low? Thoughts? (asking genuinely)....

I think he's fine - he's mechanics looks clean.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 17, 2021 at 5:29 PM ]
He has a strong arm but is about as far from a natural thrower as there is in the nfl. It's why you see the wobbliness and downward trajectory when he tries to rifle it.
He's got plenary arm but this shows when he gets in a hurry and it affects his release.
I love Trey as a person, I really do. But, I wouldn't get too hyped about the ra ra stuff. I can't really imagine Manning or Brady doing that if they weren't starting.
Share 49ersWebzone