LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 285 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I heard a former NFL player last week (can't remember who it was) talking about how easy it is to complete the short passes over the middle with today's rules. With so many teams playing nickel and even dime packages because of the rules against contacting receivers and the emphasis on passing, the middle is usually wide open. Lot's of teams throw those short passes for much of the game. It makes it really easy to move the chains at the end of games when there might only be one guy defending the middle. Before they changed the rules.defenders hated going across the middle because they knew they would get racked. Not any more.

I think we'll see a lot of those short passes from Trey as well. That'a the open spot in today's game. The difference will be his threat to run or occasionally throw downfield.
I hope we will be well ahead in the 3rd qtr. Trey get a few plays, then series and hopefully play in the 4th.

I'm dying to see how he has improved. I believe he has improved. He has a good head, grit, discipline and will turn out to be the athletic QB I've dreamed of running Kyle's offense.

I'm faithful. Let's finish the this season strong. Let's go. Do the disco!! 💪🕺🏻🏈
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I heard a former NFL player last week (can't remember who it was) talking about how easy it is to complete the short passes over the middle with today's rules. With so many teams playing nickel and even dime packages because of the rules against contacting receivers and the emphasis on passing, the middle is usually wide open. Lot's of teams throw those short passes for much of the game. It makes it really easy to move the chains at the end of games when there might only be one guy defending the middle. Before they changed the rules.defenders hated going across the middle because they knew they would get racked. Not any more.

I think we'll see a lot of those short passes from Trey as well. That'a the open spot in today's game. The difference will be his threat to run or occasionally throw downfield.

WRs.

but ya, i get what you're saying. it's definitely opened up those middle passing lanes knowing that you can't head hunt anymore.
Originally posted by Quest-4-6:
I hope we will be well ahead in the 3rd qtr. Trey get a few plays, then series and hopefully play in the 4th.

I'm dying to see how he has improved. I believe he has improved. He has a good head, grit, discipline and will turn out to be the athletic QB I've dreamed of running Kyle's offense.

I'm faithful. Let's finish the this season strong. Let's go. Do the disco!! 💪🕺🏻🏈

Kyle doesn't want any distractions as we head into the playoffs... imo, he'll only use Trey to hand off or kneel... like he did against the Rams (was it?).

He'll keep Jimmy in until there is 3mins to play.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 19, 2021 at 10:26 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think that applies more to the TE's than the WR's. The TE's used to be rocked all the time going over the middle, but as you said, the rules changes have helped them flourish in the new pass happy NFL.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I think that applies more to the TE's than the WR's. The TE's used to be rocked all the time going over the middle, but as you said, the rules changes have helped them flourish in the new pass happy NFL.

You used to hear announcers talk about how tough a guy was if he would go across the middle for a reception. Now it's a staple of every offense. For QBs it's great because they have more short relatively uncontested throws.
Edit- wrong thread.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 19, 2021 at 3:55 PM ]
Up 31-13 4 minutes left i thought he would give the kid the ball

booo
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

booo

Not ready to play. Shanahan has no confidence in him.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
I wasn't here during the draft but weren't you all hoping for Lance and when the pick came in out of your mind? I was out of mind excited and still am.

Seems not many happy with Trey and I just don't understand why. Maybe it was the right move to just learn this year. Was not my choice by the way, but dang in a couple of years we are going to be a top offense in the league. Just feeling it.

I was more excited we didn't take Mac Jones, though I was fine with taking Lance. The more Jones plays the more I feel validated for not wanting him.

Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by 9erson3:
I wasn't here during the draft but weren't you all hoping for Lance and when the pick came in out of your mind? I was out of mind excited and still am.

Seems not many happy with Trey and I just don't understand why. Maybe it was the right move to just learn this year. Was not my choice by the way, but dang in a couple of years we are going to be a top offense in the league. Just feeling it.

I was more excited we didn't take Mac Jones, though I was fine with taking Lance. The more Jones plays the more I feel validated for not wanting him.

Lol 9-5 and rookie of the year. Didn't have to give up assets.
And to the OP, it was anyone BUT Lance for me. He has a long ways to go to become even a serviceable starting qb. Like him as a kid/person, just the most unknown player ever taken in the top 10.
I mean they(NDSU)haven't missed a beat without him and are in the championship again.
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
And to the OP, it was anyone BUT Lance for me. He has a long ways to go to become even a serviceable starting qb. Like him as a kid/person, just the most unknown player ever taken in the top 10.
I mean they(NDSU)haven't missed a beat without him and are in the championship again.

Sounds like Alabama
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Not ready to play. Shanahan has no confidence in him.

Oh for f**k's sake, just let him chill in peace. Its a nice and rare luxury to not have to throw your rookie QB out there and simply let them take everything in, see how a vet QB handles themselves, study film and set themselves up to come in strong out of the gates.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

booo

Give him the ball to do what exactly? Practice his handoffs?
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
More ifs. IF IF IF IF....

You LOVE the guy and he's in a PERFECT position for HIM. You should be happy your Pats are still doing great and your favorite QB is in a great position as well.

Why the need to bother those here with the same stuff over and over again if he's on a different team?

Take my lead,...I try to bother people with 49er-related info at least,...lol.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 19, 2021 at 5:03 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone