LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 253 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Afrikan:
People forget, Trey Lance is the backup QB... if something happens to Jimmy... Trey needs to get in there and save the season.

You don't risk your backup QB for plays in a meaningless moments. Sure hand offs and kneel downs are fine.

If we carried three QBs...and the 3rd was a vet QB, then sure... get Trey some experience. But that's not the scenario we are in right now.

Forget what? Of course he's the backup. I can't speak for anyone else, but always hoped as long as Jimmy was healthy and winning we'd roll with him. When he struggled, I called for Trey, but more because I wanted him to get reps than thinking he'd be better. For a stretch it looked like we weren't going to make to playoffs, which would have justified playing Trey. But now that we're rolling again, I'm simply hoping if anything does happen to Jimmy, Trey will be ready. Everyone knows this is Jimmy's last year. If we can make a Chiefs like transition from a game manager to a legitimate offensive threat in the league, why would anyone complain?
Listening to the 49ers talk podcast they just put out recapping the game and at the end Maiocco said that Fred Warner told him Trey has been carving up the first string D in practice. Arrow up for the rook.
Trey Lance deep throw warmups to Brandon Aiyuk and Jauan Jennings, 49ers-Falcons:

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rorrim:
Trey Lance deep throw warmups to Brandon Aiyuk and Jauan Jennings, 49ers-Falcons:

He's pretty close to midfield, and he's tossing these passes that look to me like at least 40+ yards - to the endzone, with just flicking his wrists. I don't seem him having a big windup or leaning into the passes, it's all arm.
People forget, Trey Lance is the backup QB... if something happens to Jimmy... Trey needs to get in there and save the season.

You don't risk your backup QB for plays in a meaningless moments. Sure hand offs and kneel downs are fine.

If we carried three QBs...and the 3rd was a vet QB, then sure... get Trey some experience. But that's not the scenario we are in right now.

I'm just as concerned about who will be Trey's backup next year when Jimmy is gone.

Soon ... 2022
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

I'm just as concerned about who will be Trey's backup next year when Jimmy is gone.

Well, the way the college game is going, there should be a boatload of athletic QB's that have a rocket arm, and the athleticism that play QB instead of RB or WR. Trey's kind of ability was, in the past, very rare, but I think more and more college programs are operating under QB's in the Mahomes/Lance moulds. It shouldn't be that difficult to use a 5th or 6th round pick on a very raw but athletic kind of college QB for Trey's backup. Maybe a guy like Brock Rutter 2.0, but younger more raw, and possibly almost having the same kind of athleticism?
He may not be getting game experience but he's getting a chance to develop different skills.

Every week he's playing the role of the QB we'll be playing.

In doing so, he's adding new dimensions to his own game.

The reports are he's carving up the D as per Fred Warner in todays home page article says.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He may not be getting game experience but he's getting a chance to develop different skills.

The reports are he's carving up the D as per Fred Warner in todays home page article says.

I have trust issues so I'll have to see this before I believe it
  • thl408

wow he looks so good going through his progressions

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Soon ... 2022

Maybe. The 2021 chapter on 49er football has yet to be completed.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I have trust issues so I'll have to see this before I believe it

You won't unless you are a press reporter.

Even then, they don't see the whole practice. You don't have to believe anything, it's just another data point that paints an overall but *incomplete* picture. But, still the nub of it is that it's a *positive* datapoint, vs a negative datapoint. That, I think, you can trust.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Well, the way the college game is going, there should be a boatload of athletic QB's that have a rocket arm, and the athleticism that play QB instead of RB or WR. Trey's kind of ability was, in the past, very rare, but I think more and more college programs are operating under QB's in the Mahomes/Lance moulds. It shouldn't be that difficult to use a 5th or 6th round pick on a very raw but athletic kind of college QB for Trey's backup. Maybe a guy like Brock Rutter 2.0, but younger more raw, and possibly almost having the same kind of athleticism?

That is why Trey was valued.

He isnt just an athletic QB.

His football IQ and work ethic leave strong impressions on people.

Many of the NFL media people were stunned by his maturity and mental side of things.

For example...Rich Eisen went into detail about how Trey transitioned into an advertising plug like a 10 year vet at the end of one of their talks. He then explained how rare that is for regular players let alone a young rookie.

He's pretty close to midfield, and he's tossing these passes that look to me like at least 40+ yards - to the endzone, with just flicking his wrists. I don't seem him having a big windup or leaning into the passes, it's all arm.

I don't know about the bold. He drops the ball lower than his waist on the wind up and does javelin it when he's about to start forward. It doesn't look like it because he has so much power that he does all that motion very fast.

Still though, I have a pet peeve when QBs drop the ball so low on the load. Very bad habit that is impossible to shake and is detrimental in a crowded pocket.

Rodgers changing his load was much easier to do because he literally went from the most difficult kind to throw with power with that Tedford high ball placement to a lower ball placement.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 20, 2021 at 11:10 AM ]
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

That is why Trey was valued.

He isnt just an athletic QB.

His football IQ and work ethic leave strong impressions on people.

Many of the NFL media people were stunned by his maturity and mental side of things.

For example...Rich Eisen went into detail about how Trey transitioned into an advertising plug like a 10 year vet at the end of one of their talks. He then explained how rare that is for regular players let alone a young rookie.

Just going to be so exciting. I'd bet even next preseason when Trey is the starter, Kyle doesn't show much. Then once the season starts, he just completely takes advantage of the league with no answers.
Share 49ersWebzone