LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 277 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by rorrim:
Trey Lance deep throw warmups to Brandon Aiyuk and Jauan Jennings, 49ers-Falcons:

wow he looks so good going through his progressions

Eventually Falcons had to send Younghoe Koo to provide some pressure.

Trey handled it well. 😎
EVERYONE RELAX.

I'm a Jimmy G guy but just because Lance isn't in doesn't mean he isn't in the plans.

Anything can happen week to week. Injuries and now this Omarion Variant stuff . I can see multiple subs in because of this stuff. We might just need to prep a third stringer like the Browns or something.

I'm more worried about out meh RB core and our absolute trash Pass defense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Well, the way the college game is going, there should be a boatload of athletic QB's that have a rocket arm, and the athleticism that play QB instead of RB or WR. Trey's kind of ability was, in the past, very rare, but I think more and more college programs are operating under QB's in the Mahomes/Lance moulds. It shouldn't be that difficult to use a 5th or 6th round pick on a very raw but athletic kind of college QB for Trey's backup. Maybe a guy like Brock Rutter 2.0, but younger more raw, and possibly almost having the same kind of athleticism?

That is why Trey was valued.

He isnt just an athletic QB.

His football IQ and work ethic leave strong impressions on people.

Many of the NFL media people were stunned by his maturity and mental side of things.

For example...Rich Eisen went into detail about how Trey transitioned into an advertising plug like a 10 year vet at the end of one of their talks. He then explained how rare that is for regular players let alone a young rookie.
Agree.
I think intangibles are almost 70+ percent of a QB's so called talent on the field. Reading defenses, calling the correct play, audibling out of bad plays - that's all about the 6 inches between the ears vs the rocket arm, bionic legs, six pack abs and quadzillas. Those datapoints (The Rich Eisen interview, and others) are a good indicator of him being a good worker, disciplined, passionate about being a QB for the 49ers and willing to put in time to be a great professional and learn his craft. That's one of the reasons I'm very confident he has the rest of the intangibles we haven't seen yet. I'm relying on Kyle's ability to spot QB talent for that. Afterall, he spotted Jimmy even before Belicheat gifted him to us.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Trey Lance deep throw warmups to Brandon Aiyuk and Jauan Jennings, 49ers-Falcons:

He's pretty close to midfield, and he's tossing these passes that look to me like at least 40+ yards - to the endzone, with just flicking his wrists. I don't seem him having a big windup or leaning into the passes, it's all arm.

I don't know about the bold. He drops the ball lower than his waist on the wind up and does javelin it when he's about to start forward. It doesn't look like it because he has so much power that he does all that motion very fast.

Still though, I have a pet peeve when QBs drop the ball so low on the load. Very bad habit that is impossible to shake and is detrimental in a crowded pocket.

Rodgers changing his load was much easier to do because he literally went from the most difficult kind to throw with power with that Tedford high ball placement to a lower ball placement.

I see your point about him dropping the ball below his waist. Great points. Just watched a video of Tom Brady's mechanics and he does keep his arm *way* above his waist while Trey's dropping the ball below the waist. He definitely has to clean up that and not get into any bad mechanics. I rewatched the Trey AZ game again, and what I found out was that he generally (not always) did keep his load above the waist. All I can say is that maybe he was doing the bad mechanics because he wasn't paying attention to it during warm ups. But yeah, I can see it being a problem in the pocket, and Tom's mechanics are indeed as you said - above the waist. I hope he addresses that over the offseason.

He's pretty close to midfield, and he's tossing these passes that look to me like at least 40+ yards - to the endzone, with just flicking his wrists. I don't seem him having a big windup or leaning into the passes, it's all arm.

I don't know about the bold. He drops the ball lower than his waist on the wind up and does javelin it when he's about to start forward. It doesn't look like it because he has so much power that he does all that motion very fast.

Still though, I have a pet peeve when QBs drop the ball so low on the load. Very bad habit that is impossible to shake and is detrimental in a crowded pocket.

Rodgers changing his load was much easier to do because he literally went from the most difficult kind to throw with power with that Tedford high ball placement to a lower ball placement.

I see your point about him dropping the ball below his waist. Great points. Just watched a video of Tom Brady's mechanics and he does keep his arm *way* above his waist while Trey's dropping the ball below the waist. He definitely has to clean up that and not get into any bad mechanics. I rewatched the Trey AZ game again, and what I found out was that he generally (not always) did keep his load above the waist. All I can say is that maybe he was doing the bad mechanics because he wasn't paying attention to it during warm ups. But yeah, I can see it being a problem in the pocket, and Tom's mechanics are indeed as you said - above the waist. I hope he addresses that over the offseason.

Lots of QBs will drop the ball below their waist on deep throws. Jimmy does the same thing.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
People forget, Trey Lance is the backup QB... if something happens to Jimmy... Trey needs to get in there and save the season.

You don't risk your backup QB for plays in a meaningless moments. Sure hand offs and kneel downs are fine.

If we carried three QBs...and the 3rd was a vet QB, then sure... get Trey some experience. But that's not the scenario we are in right now.

Shanahan won't admit such but you can tell his heart sank @ the news of knee soreness or whatever after a couple of those runs (to win the game vs. Az).

We haven't really seen him out there since and that kinda tells you all you need to know.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Lots of QBs will drop the ball below their waist on deep throws. Jimmy does the same thing.

Well Trey's arm is so strong, I'm thinking he doesn't need to load up the same way as other QB's with lesser arms. He gets the ball out plenty quick though, and it's probably milliseconds behind Jimmy. Nothing like Kaepernicks elongated baseball load up though, thank god for that.

All I pay attention to is where the ball winds up. I haven't seen nearly enough playing to judge his throws, let alone mechanics. If it is a problem, something he can clean up in the offseason. But until I see him throwing week in and week out, don't think I'll lose much sleep over people over analyzing him in sweats.
Originally posted by Shifty:
Trey is going to be a Monster next year

hope so!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
People forget, Trey Lance is the backup QB... if something happens to Jimmy... Trey needs to get in there and save the season.

You don't risk your backup QB for plays in a meaningless moments. Sure hand offs and kneel downs are fine.

If we carried three QBs...and the 3rd was a vet QB, then sure... get Trey some experience. But that's not the scenario we are in right now.

I'm just as concerned about who will be Trey's backup next year when Jimmy is gone.

I'd love to bring back Mullens.

So MM in his latest podcast at end had an update - Lance has been doing really well practice last 3 weeks per higher up source in organization. And they felt his finger injury was lingering causing accuracy issues early on including Ari game.

Post game Warner on his own said same thing about lance.
[ Edited by Mertonschickendance on Dec 20, 2021 at 11:58 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

I'm just as concerned about who will be Trey's backup next year when Jimmy is gone.

It's gonna be our Dontae Johnson of QBs......Josh Johnson.

But I'd be for Teddy Bridgewater, if the Broncos move on from him.

Well Trey's arm is so strong, I'm thinking he doesn't need to load up the same way as other QB's with lesser arms. He gets the ball out plenty quick though, and it's probably milliseconds behind Jimmy. Nothing like Kaepernicks elongated baseball load up though, thank god for that.

I do think Trey tightens it up during a game. Brady is a little different. He starts with the ball at his belly button keeping his elbow angle always at 90 degrees. His elbow never deviates from that angle. It is the ideal angle to take pressure off the shoulder and gives a natural rotation.

Rodgers…sheesh. Insane. He closes his elbow angle just before whipping it forward. That's why he looks like he's always throwing darts but with major velocity. Just all around connection between arm angle and lower body.
Originally posted by mayo49:

It's gonna be our Dontae Johnson of QBs......Josh Johnson.

But I'd be for Teddy Bridgewater, if the Broncos move on from him.

Jimmy cheaper than Teddy.
Originally posted by random49er:

Shanahan won't admit such but you can tell his heart sank @ the news of knee soreness or whatever after a couple of those runs (to win the game vs. Az).

We haven't really seen him out there since and that kinda tells you all you need to know.

I didn't see that. I still question that game plan. Had to have set a team record for designed QB runs. Really don't think that's the intention with Trey, but damn. Kid showed heart with some of his runs, but saw the difference between NFL and college. That goal line hit was nasty and Kyle didn't seem phased.
Share 49ersWebzone