LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 265 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I've been watching all the QBs since I saw Trey's motion and a lot of them drop that ball low and bring it back up. It's weird because if you hold the ball high near your shoulder you can bring your arm straight back and throw, That eliminates the wasted motion and gets the ball out quicker. Unless you're trying to throw it as far as you can that wasted motion isn't needed. Watch a catcher throw to 2nd base and see how fast that get the ball out.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I've been watching all the QBs since I saw Trey's motion and a lot of them drop that ball low and bring it back up. It's weird because if you hold the ball high near your shoulder you can bring your arm straight back and throw, That eliminates the wasted motion and gets the ball out quicker. Unless you're trying to throw it as far as you can that wasted motion isn't needed. Watch a catcher throw to 2nd base and see how fast that get the ball out.

Dan Marino had a similar release (I think) to what you are talking about. It was like a prizefighter's Jab. A quick short motion but his arm was so strong, he threw it sometimes 40+ yards without much of a loading up.

I'd love for Trey to develop something like that. I think Marino's release was one fastest and the best in the history of the NFL. I think Trey's arm is comparable to that of Marino and the other greats, and if he can develop that quick right Jab, kind of throw, wow! He might even beat Jimmy with regards to Time To Throw readings.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Dan Marino had a similar release (I think) to what you are talking about. It was like a prizefighter's Jab. A quick short motion but his arm was so strong, he threw it sometimes 40+ yards without much of a loading up.

I'd love for Trey to develop something like that. I think Marino's release was one fastest and the best in the history of the NFL. I think Trey's arm is comparable to that of Marino and the other greats, and if he can develop that quick right Jab, kind of throw, wow! He might even beat Jimmy with regards to Time To Throw readings.

Marino and Elway were more of chest throwers. Most QBs drop the ball low, it's just some do it quicker. Then there's that other aspect that actually elongates the throw, which is opening the elbow angle sort of like one throws a javelin. That's what Lance did on those chilling out deep balls.

Rodgers, upon the end of his load, does the opposite. He closes his elbow angle where the ball is almost touching his shoulder, then he rotates his elbow around and lets it whip. This also allows him to get that flick of the wrist at the end like throwing a dart. The best thing that ever happened to Rodgers was learning how to throw with the ball high. It really developed his wrist flick. Then lowering it down in the pros was like, "Whoa! This is much easier and allows me to throw with way more power."
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Anyone listen to the most recent episode of NinerTalk (Matt Maiocco's podcast)?

He had some interesting things to say about Trey. Summary from the top of head:

- According to people in the FO Matt has talked to, Trey has been great in practice and accurate now that his finger is fully healed. His studying and preparation has been on-point.
- The 49ers brass feel very good about him taking over as the starter next season and coming in as the backup, if necessary, this season.
- He also heard from his contacts that Trey has been shredding the first team defense lately and Matt brought up that Fred Warner also said a similar thing after the game.

Good stuff to hear
Originally posted by tohara3:

- According to people in the FO Matt has talked to, Trey has been great in practice and accurate now that his finger is fully healed. His studying and preparation has been on-point.
- The 49ers brass feel very good about him taking over as the starter next season and coming in as the backup, if necessary, this season.
- He also heard from his contacts that Trey has been shredding the first team defense lately and Matt brought up that Fred Warner also said a similar thing after the game.

Good stuff to hear

Awesome.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I just found out we already have Trey's backup QB once we go with Trey as QB 1.

This is a really random question, but somebody wanted to know how long did WR Deebo Samuel practice before becoming the quarterback?
"How long did he before we moved him there? He made a hell of a play, but did that guy who asked that question see him throw the ball?"
He did.
"It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very good either. But Deebo can do anything he works at, so I'm sure one day he'll get his opportunity."
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/153916-transcripts-shanahan-demeco-ryans-garoppolo-provide-updates-49ers-titans/
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Originally posted by tohara3:

Good stuff to hear

Awesome.

Yes it is, and this is a similar time that these types of things were being said about Mahomes in his rookie year.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
I was going to write the same thing. That´s exactly what they said about Mahomes.
We´ll see what Trey Lance will do in the future and hopefully he will have the same success than Mahomes.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He may not be getting game experience but he's getting a chance to develop different skills.

Every week he's playing the role of the QB we'll be playing.

In doing so, he's adding new dimensions to his own game.

The reports are he's carving up the D as per Fred Warner in todays home page article says.

I have trust issues so I'll have to see this before I believe it

You won't unless you are a press reporter.

Even then, they don't see the whole practice. You don't have to believe anything, it's just another data point that paints an overall but *incomplete* picture. But, still the nub of it is that it's a *positive* datapoint, vs a negative datapoint. That, I think, you can trust.

Fred probably shouldn't have said that but speaks to how lethal Trey will be out there once he takes the helm. His college tape speaks for itself. Accurate into 2nd and 3d windows on the run and beautiful 55 yard deep balls with stepping into it, normal drop back from the pocket. Stop with the ducking arm mechanics s**t. 80 percent of Peyton Mannings passes were ducks. Fred can see's a guy who can win games on his own talent and it's exciting
never take practice reports seriously He's supposed to be shredding them They in shorts and there is no contact

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal1632:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He may not be getting game experience but he's getting a chance to develop different skills.

Every week he's playing the role of the QB we'll be playing.

In doing so, he's adding new dimensions to his own game.

The reports are he's carving up the D as per Fred Warner in todays home page article says.

I have trust issues so I'll have to see this before I believe it

You won't unless you are a press reporter.

Even then, they don't see the whole practice. You don't have to believe anything, it's just another data point that paints an overall but *incomplete* picture. But, still the nub of it is that it's a *positive* datapoint, vs a negative datapoint. That, I think, you can trust.

Fred probably shouldn't have said that but speaks to how lethal Trey will be out there once he takes the helm. His college tape speaks for itself. Accurate into 2nd and 3d windows on the run and beautiful 55 yard deep balls with stepping into it, normal drop back from the pocket. Stop with the ducking arm mechanics s**t. 80 percent of Peyton Mannings passes were ducks. Fred can see's a guy who can win games on his own talent and it's exciting

In the AZ game Trey had some nice touch throws, both in the pocket and on the run. Then he had some zip throws that were coming so fast and hard, that even Deebo couldn't handle it until he got thrown another one. The next one he caught. The other 2/3rds of his play were a hot mess - basically he's thinking too much out there and his reads were a tad too slow, he had to get out of the pocket and save his life.

This current Kyle offense is based on Jimmy's quick release, hence the Arm Mechanic's discussion between Jimmy and Trey. Having said that, once Trey is QB 1, then I'm sure Kyle will adjust to Trey's throwing and build an offense around that - however it will look like.

Bottom line, I'm really excited to see the comeback of the Steve Young ball. That offense was unstoppable. They weren't a *vertical* offense a la the Mad Bomber or Air Coryell, but dang did they eat up yardage quickly. Whereas Walsh was happy with a 5 yard pass completion, Steve would do a 5 yard pass, but the YAC's would go another 15+. Sorta like how the Jimmy offense was during the OT drive of the Bungles game. Just unstoppable.
I'm starting to think Trey has legit MVP chances next season. Best LT, best FB, best TE, one of the best WR, Aiyuk getting on Deebo's level, KS dialing it up. This could be historic.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I'm starting to think Trey has legit MVP chances next season. Best LT, best FB, best TE, one of the best WR, Aiyuk getting on Deebo's level, KS dialing it up. This could be historic.

Well the model they are trying to replicate is the Mahomes model. IF anybody can pull that off, it's Kyle.

Well the model they are trying to replicate is the Mahomes model. IF anybody can pull that off, it's Kyle.

Will be interesting to see betting odds for MVP next year when they come out.

Oh, please. Where does this stuff come from? Fred Warner says Trey is doing a good job in practice and somehow that equates to him being a "legit MVP" candidate next year. I swear the leaps in reasoning that people have taken about this kid since he was drafted are really something. Can't remember ever seeing anything like it before.
Share 49ersWebzone