LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 244 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
He's the hero San Francisco deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

This
Originally posted by Sickaa:
I believe so too. Unfortunately, we'll most likely see the same Issues next season, watching Trey experience growing pains due to lack of playing time.
See, I don't get this argument at all. You're essentially saying that after two full OTAs and mini camps and training camps and pre-seasons plus all of the time he spent in practice and in the film room and working with his position coaches and running the scout team and having had the opportunity to get his feet wet in at least a couple of games that he will be no further along next year than he was entering camp this. If that's true then it will definitely have been a wasted pick. Fortunately I don't think that is the case and that he will be much better prepared to start and contribute next year than he was this season. Time will tell I guess
[ Edited by 49ers81 on Dec 25, 2021 at 8:58 AM ]
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
He's the hero San Francisco deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

This

Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by BMoore56:
Originally posted by Heroism:

No, its "When they don't want you to play because you only have 1 year of college experience since HS, aren't ready, and would risk shattering your confidence".

But he's still dicing the defense up in practice...

Practice is not games. Ryan Leaf was great in practice.

Jimmy once threw 5 straight interceptions in practice a few years ago. His final interception tally in the handful of open practices this year was around 20 or so.

Which is to say, how you play in practice generally translates to how you'll play in games. Not always, but It's certainly not a bad thing to play well in practice.

Jimmy is the same high/low in practice

After preseason everyone who looked at the numbers

Jimmy G had slightly better completion % but Trey had far more explosive plays and TDs

Can't guarantee it would have turned out the same in the regular season but if Trey does what we hope he can we should score more TDs per game

We may not be as efficient on 3rd down but TDs win games
  • gotem
  • Veteran
So this was the observation live during Treys first start. First read, panic. I looked for basic routes and how he did. KS offense heavily involves the slant and I didn't see much of that. Trey is not ready as of now. He's not polished at all.
Originally posted by gotem:
So this was the observation live during Treys first start. First read, panic. I looked for basic routes and how he did. KS offense heavily involves the slant and I didn't see much of that. Trey is not ready as of now. He's not polished at all.

Unfortunately, neither is Jimmy. That's why they traded up to get Trey.

No, its "When they don't want you to play because you only have 1 year of college experience since HS, aren't ready, and would risk shattering your confidence".

Plus, have you seen our defense? I mean we have some quality players without a doubt and statistically we're fine and we have our moments. But given time to throw and see the field, almost any NFL QB could probably dice up Josh Norman and Ambry Thomas at this point.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Unfortunately, neither is Jimmy. That's why they traded up to get Trey.

Of course he's not polished. He didnt play but one game the season before the draft due to covid.
Of course he's not polished. He didnt play but one game the season before the draft due to covid.

Dudes be thinking he should be a finished product and looking polished knowing how little experience he has.
I wish we'd just play him like we did the first couple of games. We need to mix things up. f**k Jimmy and the rhythm of the offense. Defense sees Trey trot onto the field on down and goal - oh the boy's gonna run is he? Watch out for the read-option! Then Trey will stick it to them with a dart to Jennings after buying a least a second that Jimmy wouldn't have.

But but people in here say being the scout QB is how you develop? Kid has gotta play to get better doesn't matter if it's this yr or next…he's gonna struggle to start, only to learn, improve and get better.

Who cares if he's polished? He's a damn rookie…go look at Lawrence who's a generational talent. He's never gonna be ready as long as he keeps sitting the bench…you learn by playing.

Kyle's offense will and has adapted to his QB many times. Also don't tell me Trey can't throw a slant lol
Originally posted by 49erminion:
I wish we'd just play him like we did the first couple of games. We need to mix things up. f**k Jimmy and the rhythm of the offense. Defense sees Trey trot onto the field on down and goal - oh the boy's gonna run is he? Watch out for the read-option! Then Trey will stick it to them with a dart to Jennings after buying a least a second that Jimmy wouldn't have.

This is kind of a silly statement. Kyle himself has said that HE got out of a rhythm in his play calling when he inserted Lance because the defense would change up what it was doing and would throw off his play calling. The TEAM is more successful when the offense is working in rhythm and playing complimentary football with their defense. For the first part of the season the team just seemed to be out of sync across the board. It's probably no accident that they got into a better groove once they quit trying to find ways to put Lance into the game. Lance's day will come, just not this year.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Who cares if he's polished? He's a damn rookie…go look at Lawrence who's a generational talent. He's never gonna be ready as long as he keeps sitting the bench…you learn by playing.

Kyle's offense will and has adapted to his QB many times. Also don't tell me Trey can't throw a slant lol

Actually we'll see about all of that.

I don't get paid to evaluate QB's and don't do it as a hobby either so I suppose he is. But he's also a guy who probably had it extraordinarily easy both in high school and college. There's always decent talent in Georgia high school ball but obviously different levels of it as only certain guys are going to play in college and of those some will be Division One, some will be two or three.
In college he just basically had an All Star team around him at Clemson and a free pass generally to the conference championship game and playoff. Admittedly so too did Fields and by and large so too did Mac Jones. The talent on their respective teams was just that superior to everyone else in their respective conferences.

A guy like Andrew Luck, also perceived as a generational talent, was challenged more in college playing at a "decent" program in Stanford with their academic requirements (I'm sure lessened for great football players but still) going up against USC, Oregon, even to a lesser extent Washington, Luck didn't have the benefit of the greater roster around him.

The one question I have with Lawrence being a "generational talent" is based on something I read from an evaluator and just a gut instinct is we'll see what he has upstairs. I don't necessarily mean intelligence on the field. Maybe upstairs isn't even the best word or part of the anatomy. Maybe it's more heart and desire and determination. I'm not sure how important it is to him in the grand scheme of things. But we'll find out. Or Jacksonville will anyway. Obviously they'll need to assemble better players around him.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by 49erminion:

This is kind of a silly statement. Kyle himself has said that HE got out of a rhythm in his play calling when he inserted Lance because the defense would change up what it was doing and would throw off his play calling. The TEAM is more successful when the offense is working in rhythm and playing complimentary football with their defense. For the first part of the season the team just seemed to be out of sync across the board. It's probably no accident that they got into a better groove once they quit trying to find ways to put Lance into the game. Lance's day will come, just not this year.

Exactly. I saw that statement and my first thought was, "Well, let's be glad that you're not coaching the team."
Share 49ersWebzone