LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 208 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by 49erminion:
I wish we'd just play him like we did the first couple of games. We need to mix things up. f**k Jimmy and the rhythm of the offense. Defense sees Trey trot onto the field on down and goal - oh the boy's gonna run is he? Watch out for the read-option! Then Trey will stick it to them with a dart to Jennings after buying a least a second that Jimmy wouldn't have.

This is kind of a silly statement. Kyle himself has said that HE got out of a rhythm in his play calling when he inserted Lance because the defense would change up what it was doing and would throw off his play calling. The TEAM is more successful when the offense is working in rhythm and playing complimentary football with their defense. For the first part of the season the team just seemed to be out of sync across the board. It's probably no accident that they got into a better groove once they quit trying to find ways to put Lance into the game. Lance's day will come, just not this year.

Exactly. I saw that statement and my first thought was, "Well, let's be glad that you're not coaching the team."

These are professionals. They practice for a reason. I believe we won two of the games Trey played sparingly in and almost beat Green Bay. So you're saying this is the reason for the 4 game losing streak lmao? Just saying if Brees and Hill could co-exist rather well why not Jimmy and Trey every now and then, and it was proven earlier this season that it could work.

You believe everything Kyle says to the media?
Originally posted by Sickaa:
I believe so too. Unfortunately, we'll most likely see the same Issues next season, watching Trey experience growing pains due to lack of playing time.
See, I don't get this argument at all. You're essentially saying that after two full OTAs and mini camps and training camps and pre-seasons plus all of the time he spent in practice and in the film room and working with his position coaches and running the scout team and having had the opportunity to get his feet wet in at least a couple of games that he will be no further along next year than he was entering camp this. If that's true then it will definitely have been a wasted pick. Fortunately I don't think that is the case and that he will be much better prepared to start and contribute next year than he was this season. Time will tell I guess

I think he'll be better prepared next year ( at least I hope so ). I think it's more about lack of experience. Lance didn't receive much playing time through college, nor as he received much, if any playing time this season. All of what you just said should be helpful to some extent, but none of that can replicate the experience from actual games when the pressure Is on and everyone is counting on you to win games.
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Actually we'll see about all of that.

I don't get paid to evaluate QB's and don't do it as a hobby either so I suppose he is. But he's also a guy who probably had it extraordinarily easy both in high school and college. There's always decent talent in Georgia high school ball but obviously different levels of it as only certain guys are going to play in college and of those some will be Division One, some will be two or three.
In college he just basically had an All Star team around him at Clemson and a free pass generally to the conference championship game and playoff. Admittedly so too did Fields and by and large so too did Mac Jones. The talent on their respective teams was just that superior to everyone else in their respective conferences.

A guy like Andrew Luck, also perceived as a generational talent, was challenged more in college playing at a "decent" program in Stanford with their academic requirements (I'm sure lessened for great football players but still) going up against USC, Oregon, even to a lesser extent Washington, Luck didn't have the benefit of the greater roster around him.

The one question I have with Lawrence being a "generational talent" is based on something I read from an evaluator and just a gut instinct is we'll see what he has upstairs. I don't necessarily mean intelligence on the field. Maybe upstairs isn't even the best word or part of the anatomy. Maybe it's more heart and desire and determination. I'm not sure how important it is to him in the grand scheme of things. But we'll find out. Or Jacksonville will anyway. Obviously they'll need to assemble better players around him.

No rookie was gonna be successful in Jacksonville. I don't doubt Lawrence talent and skill one bit. You do need good coaching and a decent roster to succeed in the NFL. TL has played at the highest level since HS, he's one of the highest graded recruits ever for a reason. I get it end of the day none of that means anything….I don't know what his football IQ is or anything like that either.

Luck had a damn good roster and coaching all the same.
Lance's inexperience vs Jimmy's consistent inconsistency. I would start to rotate Lance in the remaining games to see what he's capable of. I wonder if we'll see 10 on LOS when Lance is in.
Originally posted by father49er:
Lance's inexperience vs Jimmy's consistent inconsistency. I would start to rotate Lance in the remaining games to see what he's capable of. I wonder if we'll see 10 on LOS when Lance is in.

At this pt imo it's Jimmy's team until the season is over….win/lose that's how 2021 is gonna go.

We will see more 11 on 11 football with Lance though.
Originally posted by father49er:

Stupid idea.
Originally posted by 49erminion:
I wish we'd just play him like we did the first couple of games. We need to mix things up. f**k Jimmy and the rhythm of the offense. Defense sees Trey trot onto the field on down and goal - oh the boy's gonna run is he? Watch out for the read-option! Then Trey will stick it to them with a dart to Jennings after buying a least a second that Jimmy wouldn't have.

This is kind of a silly statement. Kyle himself has said that HE got out of a rhythm in his play calling when he inserted Lance because the defense would change up what it was doing and would throw off his play calling. The TEAM is more successful when the offense is working in rhythm and playing complimentary football with their defense. For the first part of the season the team just seemed to be out of sync across the board. It's probably no accident that they got into a better groove once they quit trying to find ways to put Lance into the game. Lance's day will come, just not this year.

This is kinda a silly statement considering Lance didnt get a snap since that cardinals game and look at these awesome performances the in-sync Jimmy lead offense put up:

49ers vs Colts: 18 points with a whole amazing 6 points in the second half
49ers vs Cardinals B Team:17 points. Putting up a blistering 7 points in the entire first half
49ers vs Seahawks: 23 points total and an earth shattering ZERO points in the second half
49ers vs Bengals: 26 points total. And an in rhythm 3 points in the second half
49ers vs Titans: 17 points total but should have been more had our QB been in rhythm but Im sure Lance threw that rhythm off

Thats a f**king dumb excuse. Lance hasnt played in forever and this offense has s**t the bed multiple times since then. The offense stalling out has nothing to do with trying to insert a different QB.
I wasn't impressed at all with his throwing in the Lance led offense. Kyle was running him right into oncoming traffic with reckless abandon. He'll be hurt by the end of the first game. We're going to have a rough season next year.
  • gotem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by gotem:
So this was the observation live during Treys first start. First read, panic. I looked for basic routes and how he did. KS offense heavily involves the slant and I didn't see much of that. Trey is not ready as of now. He's not polished at all.

Who cares if he's polished? He's a damn rookie…go look at Lawrence who's a generational talent. He's never gonna be ready as long as he keeps sitting the bench…you learn by playing.

Kyle's offense will and has adapted to his QB many times. Also don't tell me Trey can't throw a slant lol

Trey has the ability of course. In game wise there are so many moving parts to just throwing a ball.

It's the small things that matter.. There was a play minny game that stuck out to me. Wr in motion, Jimmy tells him to set his feet. Yes, it's miniscule to me and you, but every in game play counts. Please dont focus on this one thing that makes Jimmy "polished."

This is about the situation as well. Jimmy gives them the best chance to win period. I think the coaching staff has a better idea than both of us of who has the best chance to win games and not. I'll go out on a limb and say the other 10 players play to win, not for the experience of the next starter.
Originally posted by 9erb0mb:
I wasn't impressed at all with his throwing in the Lance led offense. Kyle was running him right into oncoming traffic with reckless abandon. He'll be hurt by the end of the first game. We're going to have a rough season next year.

After reading that Lance's finger was hurting during that game, I'm thinking that was a major reason for all of the designed QB runs. No way will that be the philosophy next year moving forward.
[ Edited by NotAFinga42 on Dec 25, 2021 at 10:42 AM ]

Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
After reading that Lance's finger was hurting during that game, I'm thinking that was a major reason for all of the designed QB runs. No way will that be the philosophy next year moving forward.

Meh. That's no excuse to use Lance as a battering ram though. Hopefully we'll a much better game plan from Kyle next season with Lance.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by gotem:
So this was the observation live during Treys first start. First read, panic. I looked for basic routes and how he did. KS offense heavily involves the slant and I didn't see much of that. Trey is not ready as of now. He's not polished at all.

Who cares if he's polished? He's a damn rookie…go look at Lawrence who's a generational talent. He's never gonna be ready as long as he keeps sitting the bench…you learn by playing.

Kyle's offense will and has adapted to his QB many times. Also don't tell me Trey can't throw a slant lol

I mean he "can" throw the slant, but he's definitely not as consistent as an NFL qb should be throwing them. That's a simple, catch, rock, throw route and he throws it really high and hard….the velocity would be fine if it came out natural and on target 90% of the time. But it doesn't. It comes out fluttering with the nose down and not on target. That makes it really tough on receivers, even if it's a tad off line either way.
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
I mean he "can" throw the slant, but he's definitely not as consistent as an NFL qb should be throwing them.

Hard to be consistent when you aren't playing.
Originally posted by random49er:
I mean he "can" throw the slant, but he's definitely not as consistent as an NFL qb should be throwing them.

Right. A whole year of development wasted Imo.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by random49er:

Right. A whole year of development wasted Imo.

Surely the team figured that he wouldn't be ready for a while, being the rawest and most unknown top 5 pick ever. Probably won't be above average until the last year of his rookie contract if he ends up getting there at all
Share 49ersWebzone