LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 292 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Originally posted by debo4mvp:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Contrary to his stan's, Trey Lance is legitimately learning a ton from watching Jimmy's ups and downs this season. He is learning how to be a pro. How to handle the media, how to lead a locker room, how to take criticism, and that the fans are all lunatics.

I have my doubts about Trey too but honestly he can't be worse than Jimmy, Mullins or Beathard at this point going forward. He seems to always be at full attention and involved during every game. The only huge question mark is going to be how is he going to adjust when he's the starting qb when he's going on three years of limited playing time.

Oh yes he can. Lol

Yeah... Lance can bust pretty hard. I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, people will be begging for Jimmy back.

However, Lance can also be something that Jimmy is not, a superstar, a true franchise QB. I envision him and Mahomes being the next Brady vs. Manning, albeit in different conferences.

Although, most likely Lance falls somewhere in between. Only time will time. Regardless, I'm excited for his potential and what he is capable of doing. Expectations will be high, rightfully so, but if he meets them, we won't have to worry about the QB position for the next 10-15 years.

It's a tuff job finding a truly great QB. I just googled a random list of Top 20 QB's all time. Only 4 on that list are currently playing. The rest have retired, Dree Breeze being the most recent. So the odds are stacked against Trey but only time will show us how good he can be.
Yeah... Lance can bust pretty hard. I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, people will be begging for Jimmy back.

No way. Lance has already shown the ability to make throws and plays that Jimmy cannot and hasn't. The main issue Lance had at times was high throws and batted passes. I think he made solid decisions and got the ball out quick. He just needs to learn that he can't run as a bail out and Kyle needs to not draw up plays with him as the runner except for certain situations.
I'm willing to bet that Lance is twice the qb Jimmy is when he's been in the league the same amount of time.

You never know what Jimmy is going to show up and you have to hold your breath on every pass and no matter what you know you're going to see at least 5-6 plays where guys were wide open and Jommy didn't see them or he couldn't make the throw. It's simply time to move on.
No way. Lance has already shown the ability to make throws and plays that Jimmy cannot and hasn't. The main issue Lance had at times was high throws and batted passes. I think he made solid decisions and got the ball out quick. He just needs to learn that he can't run as a bail out and Kyle needs to not draw up plays with him as the runner except for certain situations.
I'm willing to bet that Lance is twice the qb Jimmy is when he's been in the league the same amount of time.

You never know what Jimmy is going to show up and you have to hold your breath on every pass and no matter what you know you're going to see at least 5-6 plays where guys were wide open and Jommy didn't see them or he couldn't make the throw. It's simply time to move on.

Or the play called for him to throw elsewhere. And shanny system calls for qb to do exactly what the play progression is. Maybe one reason why shanny coaches up a lot of underperforming qbs.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Or the play called for him to throw elsewhere. And shanny system calls for qb to do exactly what the play progression is. Maybe one reason why shanny coaches up a lot of underperforming qbs.

This is a great point. I've wondered what QBs like A.Rodgers or Brady would do in Kyles offense when they made their own decisions and throws. That's another problem with Jimmy, when plays break down, hes just lost. Maybe that's what it's going to take for Kyle to be successful as a head coach, a QB that has the ability to stray from his play calling at times when it's needed and still make the plays to win games.
This is a great point. I've wondered what QBs like A.Rodgers or Brady would do in Kyles offense when they made their own decisions and throws. That's another problem with Jimmy, when plays break down, hes just lost. Maybe that's what it's going to take for Kyle to be successful as a head coach, a QB that has the ability to stray from his play calling at times when it's needed and still make the plays to win games.

Rogers looks just fine in the same system...end of the day Kyle wants a QB that can run his offense AND make plays when s**t breaks down. Hence the Lance pick.
Originally posted by bewdynewkJH38:
Hopefully Trey will be a 49er QB1 for the next 15 years. Would't that be something

Originally posted by mayo49:
Don't be a negative Nancy, Aj - he'll be worth the picks we used to trade for him. I truly believe that.

Well there's really no reason to be negative or positive (hopeful? yes) The fact is that no one on the planet knows how Trey will do. NO ONE. That includes ShanaLynch.
Will he be the next Mahomes/Russell Wilson? Will he be the next Jordon Love? No one knows.

What we DO know is that if he is anything BUT the next Mahomes/Russell Wilson the trade/pick/deal is a bust. When you give a way a giant bag full of 1st rounders for a QB when you already HAVE a QB the can GET u to the Super Bowl then you better WIN the SB in the next 2-3 years
I believe in sticking with one argument and there's only 2 reasons that I can see:

1. Kyle thinks Jimmy is better than Lance right now.
2. Kyle thinks Lance was a bad pick because he would rather shut down the offense with Jimmy and call it as if we don't have a QB rather than play Lance.

No matter what Trey does, I won't be begging for Jimmy to come back. Just move on and draft or trade for another guy. Jimmy isn't elite now so why would we want him back 2 or 3 years from now?
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Time for the "we should have taken Mac Jones at 12!" crowd to start pivoting to "we should have taken Davis Mills in the 3rd!"

This is the fanbase who chanted "We want Carr!". Mostly an embarrassing bunch of crybaby know-nothings.

They still are...as long as it's not the current starter. Poor Trey. If only he knew the long standing QB hating traditions here.

Only a matter of time for same people hating on Jimmy G to start their same b******t with Trey Lance. I see it all the time on the webzone, only thing changes is their screen names!!!

Weird how this phenomenon coincided with nearly 20 straight years of mostly poor QB play.

The fan base has dogged QBs going back to John Brodie. Steve Young as an MVP got dogged. If there were a webzone in the early 90s...
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Time for the "we should have taken Mac Jones at 12!" crowd to start pivoting to "we should have taken Davis Mills in the 3rd!"

This is the fanbase who chanted "We want Carr!". Mostly an embarrassing bunch of crybaby know-nothings.

They still are...as long as it's not the current starter. Poor Trey. If only he knew the long standing QB hating traditions here.

Only a matter of time for same people hating on Jimmy G to start their same b******t with Trey Lance. I see it all the time on the webzone, only thing changes is their screen names!!!

Weird how this phenomenon coincided with nearly 20 straight years of mostly poor QB play.

The fan base has dogged QBs going back to John Brodie. Steve Young as an MVP got dogged. If there were a webzone in the early 90s...

Literally that's every fan base...it's what fans do. You had KC fans hating on Mahomes/Reid earlier this yr.

Hopefully Trey will be a 49er QB1 for the next 15 years. Would't that be something

I hope and pray for this scenario. He's the guy I liked the most even before the trade and he's the guy I wanted on draft day. I wasn't encouraged by his one start, but im also a patient fan and knew in advance that he had the most refining of his game to do of all the rookie 1st round QB's. I think he has a good personality to be a NFL QB, and I think that he has the talent. We'll see if he can put it all together and be what he was drafted to be. Im rooting for the kid as all 49er fans should be.
Originally posted by WINiner:

I hope and pray for this scenario. He's the guy I liked the most even before the trade and he's the guy I wanted on draft day. I wasn't encouraged by his one start, but im also a patient fan and knew in advance that he had the most refining of his game to do of all the rookie 1st round QB's. I think he has a good personality to be a NFL QB, and I think that he has the talent. We'll see if he can put it all together and be what he was drafted to be. Im rooting for the kid as all 49er fans should be.

Comparing him to the other QBs, I feel that other than lack of experience, Lance literally has no flaws.

Lawrence: Lanky physical build could hurt him sustaining in the long run or shaking off tacklers. Didn't run a Pro-Style system.
Wilson: Just small all around. Errant throws.
Fields: Not proven to be able to run a pro-style system. Looks small-jointed but he's not small. Seems more like a runner than a pocket mobility guy.
Jones: a lot of flaws but hey, he sees it.
Lance: Build is solid. Arm is solid. Pro System.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by WINiner:

Comparing him to the other QBs, I feel that other than lack of experience, Lance literally has no flaws.

Lawrence: Lanky physical build could hurt him sustaining in the long run or shaking off tacklers. Didn't run a Pro-Style system.
Wilson: Just small all around. Errant throws.
Fields: Not proven to be able to run a pro-style system. Looks small-jointed but he's not small. Seems more like a runner than a pocket mobility guy.
Jones: a lot of flaws but hey, he sees it.
Lance: Build is solid. Arm is solid. Pro System.

Let the young colt run.
If you're going to make a change this year, this would be the time. 10 days to prep and home for Houston would be the matchup vs another rookie QB. If there is a switch it may involve a phantom injury JG has a strained quadraplex or something. Rams did something similar with Goff they said he was out last year with injury they went with Wolford and when he got hurt guess who went in. Interesting times.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
If you're going to make a change this year, this would be the time. 10 days to prep and home for Houston would be the matchup vs another rookie QB. If there is a switch it may involve a phantom injury JG has a strained quadraplex or something. Rams did something similar with Goff they said he was out last year with injury they went with Wolford and when he got hurt guess who went in. Interesting times.

I disagree. I think we change it if we make the Playoffs. It usually takes teams 3 weeks to adjust to the play of a new QB and play calling. That gives us the first three rounds of the playoffs to keep defenses off balance.
Share 49ersWebzone