There are 254 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
He should go to ATL, they like him during the draft and its be a good spot for him to just get hella reps

How is he different than Marriotta ? If they're basically the same, the Falcons got rid of him after last year.
I'm going to say it again...

What an embarrassment.
I think this may go fast now that the news is out. Not sure TL or the club wants the distraction or chatter. And no real leverage, with Sam as QB2 here. May even be a pick swap and moving on scenario. If it goes past cutdown we may have some juggling to do to keep Allen. I think they want to keep Allen.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
i might actually read Grant Cohn over the next few days, going to be fun seeing his salty tears and reading his butthurt reports

Fine, but let those be his final clicks. It's time for Cohn to get a new profession. Maybe we could trade him as a backup beat writer to Minnesota for some conditional Prince records?
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Nope the battle line will shift to Kyle and John

Well it always should have been there. This was a management f**k up, all the way.

I don't disagree, it'll be a bad mark for them. They've done more good than bad and so I can live with what we lost on this move.

whether it's luck or not we are not in a 5 year reset from it and have a great outlook going forward. So whether people give credit or don't they still have 17 games to be optimistic about this season!

I'm not saying this whole thing was managed great but it's not the teams fault that Lance kept getting injured.

he got injured Everytime he played essentially. Four starts and three injuries.

one ended his second year before it began
another lagged two years and destroyed his mechanics and he didn't improve in his first off season because of it.
he hurt his knee so Kyle couldn't depend on his mobility like he was planning, even more so than it was already not doing well.

i think the team had a good plan for him the first two years, it just got messed up cause of injuries, not effort on either side, IMO.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I have no issue with Brock being QB1. The issue is choosing Sam Freakin Darnold who has shown in 6 years that he is not a good QB over the guy you traded 3 1st RD picks for who hasn't even really been given a chance. Especially this off-season. Maybe you guys are ok with this but I don't enjoy my favorote team being the laughing stock of the league and the butt of all jokes.

Umm, the Trey Lance trade wasn't looked at favorably before today's events my man.

Only a handful of crazy Niners fans weren't seeing it for what it was. And who cares anyway? We are a top 5 team in the NFL going on half a decade now.
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:
if the hits you land would be your guys, you would not select them in the 5th.

But as a fan, do you care where Talanoa Hufanga is picked? Do you care where Kittle is picked? Where Greenlaw and Warner are picked.

Or do you just want top 100 homegrown players, wherever you take them?

The reality is, this isn't just the 49ers. Look at the Pats, look at the majority of first round picks. The majority end up not succeeding or living up to their billing.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
All because John Lynch just HAD to draft his college classmate in 2017….

Mahomes was RIGHT there 🏆🏆
TBF Lynch told Kyle to look Mahomes just in case, but unfortunately Kyle had tunnel-vision for Cousins the following offseason........
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Yes, Shanahan was forced into nothing. He was convinced, against his judgement, and I think a big part of it was Lynch actually, based on the post-draft interview. EDIT: Lynch loves those high character guys. Probably he's the reason we took Solomon Thomas too.

I agree with this. I think Kyle was really big on Mac and Lynch said "OMG, you have to check out Lance!" Then Peters and other scours said "Lance has incredible talent, he's a baller!" Then Kyle watched lots of tape of Lance and then Lynch came around and said "he's such a nice kid, his background is super clean, hard worker, he's raw but you can work with him and make a match up nightmare!"

Then Kyle said "f**k it, he's got a ton of talent, I think I can work with him!"

Parts of Lance never made sense to me. It's a rhythm passing offense, a quick draw offense where getting the ball out in a hurry is everything so Kyle goes with a guy with a messed up throwing motion? It's also a complex passing offense that even seasoned veterans have struggled with so you bring in this kid with 300 college passing attempts who was more of a high end game manager who rarely threw more than 25 times in a game? Something didn't add up.

I think he was talked into Lance to where no one had to drag him kicking and screaming but where he was going to give him a quick hook if he didn't progress as fast as Kyle expected.

How much tape could he really have watched with less than 500 lifetime snaps including high school play? LMAo
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I have no issue with Brock being QB1. The issue is choosing Sam Freakin Darnold who has shown in 6 years that he is not a good QB over the guy you traded 3 1st RD picks for who hasn't even really been given a chance. Especially this off-season. Maybe you guys are ok with this but I don't enjoy my favorote team being the laughing stock of the league and the butt of all jokes.

Umm, the Trey Lance trade wasn't looked at favorably before today's events my man.

Only a handful of crazy Niners fans weren't seeing it for what it was. And who cares anyway? We are a top 5 team in the NFL going on half a decade now.

When I told the story of draft day with my buddy, he started crying laughing when we traded up and selected Lance. He just kept saying "wtf are you guys doing?!". Guys on here we're like "who cares what others think". Lol but now some do?

Pretty much every fan base thought that from day 1, In my experience.

it was just niner fans being optimistic that it would work out but I always felt very uneasy about it.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Aug 23, 2023 at 2:01 PM ]

when Shanny resigned Jimmy Gesus last year at the end of camp, after seeing how TL performed, that was when I realized he was done with TL
I really don't understand what they're doing at this point.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
when Shanny resigned Jimmy Gesus last year at the end of camp, after seeing how TL performed, that was when I realized he was done with TL

Yah you just don't see that happen very often.
The whole "Gave up 3 first round picks" is such an exaggeration and non-issue.
First of all, they only gave up 2 1st rounders and a third -- the other 1st round was a swap. Ridiculous to insinuate they gave it way.

Once the trade is done, judging the result - or clinging to that value assessment -- is spilt milk. You need to move forward based solely on the asset's value going forward. Yes, there is reputational egg on their face, but so what. The totality of their draft acquisitions is positive IMHO.

In the TL trade they went all in for a unicorn -- they wanted someone that could handle KS offense - process super quick at each snap - and ALSO add the element of mobility/size of Josh Allen. It didn't work out - TL seems like a great kid, but he doesn't process quickly during a play. That might only come with experience - or never at all. 80% of QBs can't process like the elite ones. IMHO, you gotta just go for it sometimes. It didn't work, move on.

Was the first major sign, for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone