Rams overcome career game from Jauan Jennings, rally to stun 49ers 27-24 →

There are 420 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BSofSF:
It was not a good year to trade the farm for a QB in the draft with those prospects. It's bizarre that they've had such a shrewd eye for later round talent, and have whiffed so spectacularly on many of the high picks.

They get desperate, press the issue, fall in love with guys early instead of letting the draft come to them. They also place wildly optimistic values on players early.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I wanted Fields also over McCorkle, he was the best QB available imo

It was not a good year to trade the farm for a QB in the draft with those prospects. It's bizarre that they've had such a shrewd eye for later round talent, and have whiffed so spectacularly on many of the high picks.

Again, what did we lose? Another Solomon Thomas or Reuben Foster? We have the best riser in the league right now, so why whine about how it came to be? Let's just enjoy it, enjoy the season and stop worrying about a backup who won't even see the field unless it's to kneel the ball.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Aug 23, 2023 at 2:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Lance about to light up the XFL in a few years

I was seriously roasted for positing this scenario earlier in the year.... but TL could have landed a mega contract to be the face of the XFL... he still might be able to do this

They're less involved in the later round picks. By round 5, Kyle and John don't provide any input.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
That actually makes more sense to me. I could see Trey being frustrated, I really don't blame him.

The share of the preseason reps was not equal in terms of snaps and unit sharing, even if the evaluation of the QB competition was....

Except its been reported that they've been trying to move all throughout the offseason. I think every party involved is just ready to move on.

But why now? Do you think they have a deal in place? You can't really cut him, right?

Someone said that it would be a distraction if Trey was still on the team, but I feel like THIS is wayyy more of a distraction if they don't have a deal done.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Purdy really did single handedly save these guys careers and he's the equivalent of them winning the lottery.

Or if Trey is elite elsewhere, Brock could be the reason they missed out on an elite QB. Because they would have just let Trey develop into that QB if Purdy wasn't here. It can go either way.
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:
Indeed. But it happens. The great Bill Walsh whiffed on plenty of high picks also. At least they are acknowledging the mistake and turning the page. Lance would have been a good guy to develop if he was picked mid rounds and wasn't under enormous pressure as the heir apparent. A spectacular fail by Shanahan and the front office. But at the end of the day, it's a very strong roster and they hit large on Purdy with a throw away pick. It's an inexact science for sure.

you are not comparing Walsh to ShanaLynch, dont you?
They wiffed in the most important moments. Be it at Superbowl or their handling of the draft in early rounds, topped by this trade for a raw QB they never seemed to care about

The difference between the two is that one is an actual winner.
Originally posted by tankle104:

and this thread said this was a lie, Shanny finally pulled off the pump n dump

man, I've always said his film was not good at all. Went from a top 3 pick to nearly worthless.. wtf

Even darnold was traded for a 2nd and some change.

Did Kyle not watch the second half of the Texans game? Wtf

People would have been pissed if they had used multiple 1sts to move up for Sewell but man would that OL be looking juicy right now.

Imagine our offense with Pitts or our d line with Parsons opposite Bosa. I really thought we would take parsons before the whole trade up.
That actually makes more sense to me. I could see Trey being frustrated, I really don't blame him.

The share of the preseason reps was not equal in terms of snaps and unit sharing, even if the evaluation of the QB competition was....

Except its been reported that they've been trying to move all throughout the offseason. I think every party involved is just ready to move on.

But why now? Do you think they have a deal in place? You can't really cut him, right?

Someone said that it would be a distraction if Trey was still on the team, but I feel like THIS is wayyy more of a distraction if they don't have a deal done.

I absolutely think they have a deal in place. That explains the timing and trays absence from practice.

Originally posted by 49ersRing:

They really should have just taken whatever they could get before the draft rather than put on a sham competition for QB2 that always had a predetermined outcome.

At that time they had no assurances for Purdy being ready for Week 1.

A lot of decisions are essentially hedge bets.

People would have been pissed if they had used multiple 1sts to move up for Sewell but man would that OL be looking juicy right now.

Imagine our offense with Pitts or our d line with Parsons opposite Bosa. I really thought we would take parsons before the whole trade up.

Dallas would've stayed at 10 and taken Parsons.

We would've taken Slater.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Again, what did we lose? Another Solomon Thomas or Reuben Foster? We have the best riser in the league right now, so why whine about how it came to be? Let's just enjoy it, enjoy the season and stop worrying about a backup who won't even see the field unless it's to kneel the ball.

What do you mean when you say we have the best riser?

Many people try to say we have the best roster but that isn't true at all.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I really don't understand what they're doing at this point.

Just my guess, Trey felt he should have won the #2 job.. sees the writing on the wall and just wants to get on with his career (trade or release), instead of some 3rd emergency QB.

Front Office didn't expect that kind of reaction from Trey, thought he'd be a good trooper for another season. And they were just trying to get ahead of the story with their own leaks.

Treyexcuses.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

I absolutely think they have a deal in place. That explains the timing and trays absence from practice.

I feel like it would've been reported by now. Schefter and Ian don't usually hide breaking news for long.
Share 49ersWebzone