Rams overcome career game from Jauan Jennings, rally to stun 49ers 27-24 →

There are 372 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by prospector49:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I really don't understand what they're doing at this point.

Just my guess, Trey felt he should have won the #2 job.. sees the writing on the wall and just wants to get on with his career (trade or release), instead of some 3rd emergency QB.

Front Office didn't expect that kind of reaction from Trey, thought he'd be a good trooper for another season. And they were just trying to get ahead of the story with their own leaks.

That actually makes more sense to me. I could see Trey being frustrated, I really don't blame him.

The share of the preseason reps was not equal in terms of snaps and unit sharing, even if the evaluation of the QB competition was....

Treyexcuses.

Well Trey gets paid no matter what, his contract is fully guaranteed
Originally posted by HearstFan:
The whole "Gave up 3 first round picks" is such an exaggeration and non-issue.
First of all, they only gave up 2 1st rounders and a third -- the other 1st round was a swap. Ridiculous to insinuate they gave it way.

Once the trade is done, judging the result - or clinging to that value assessment -- is spilt milk. You need to move forward based solely on the asset's value going forward. Yes, there is reputational egg on their face, but so what. The totality of their draft acquisitions is positive IMHO.

In the TL trade they went all in for a unicorn -- they wanted someone that could handle KS offense - process super quick at each snap - and ALSO add the element of mobility/size of Josh Allen. It didn't work out - TL seems like a great kid, but he doesn't process quickly during a play. That might only come with experience - or never at all. 80% of QBs can't process like the elite ones. IMHO, you gotta just go for it sometimes. It didn't work, move on.

They USED 3 1st round picks and a 3rd to acquire him
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Niners99:
This isn't on Lance, its on Kyle and the FO. Dont trade a massive amount of draft capital for a franchise QB, then sign Sam freaking Darnold because you need more startable QB depth, and then trade Lance for 10 cents on the dollar. It makes no sense. The entire point of adding Darnold was so we didn't end up SOL without a QB in an important game. Now were going to be back to only having 2 guys, and the 2nd guy we chose to keep already proved he sucks over a large sample size.

I get they want to give Lance's career a chance elsewhere if he isn't going to beat out Purdy, but we paid far too much to just trade him off for cheap.

I swear, Shanahan and Lynch are just making their strategy up as they go. 🙄

3 NFCC in 4 years. It's a good strategy.

Patrick Mahomes has 3 Super Bowl Appearances in 5 years as a starter with two rings and two MVP's.

Oh and Andy Reid doesn't make it up as he goes, he actually has an adult plan. Meanwhile Kyle is sitting in QB meetings with hot cheeto dust on his fingers.

Should we continue to fire coach's until the next Patrick Mahomes is born and selected by the Niners? Pretty sure the Niners have decided that Trey Lance is not going to be a new version of Patrick and are moving on.

Andy Read has a long history of not getting to the mountain too, based on your reaction I'd assume you would have fired him before he became the KC Chiefs version.

This fan base would have called for Reid's head immediately after his playoff loss to the Colts.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I wanted Fields also over McCorkle, he was the best QB available imo

It was not a good year to trade the farm for a QB in the draft with those prospects. It's bizarre that they've had such a shrewd eye for later round talent, and have whiffed so spectacularly on many of the high picks.

Again, what did we lose? Another Solomon Thomas or Reuben Foster? We have the best riser in the league right now, so why whine about how it came to be? Let's just enjoy it, enjoy the season and stop worrying about a backup who won't even see the field unless it's to kneel the ball.

What do you mean when you say we have the best riser?

Many people try to say we have the best roster but that isn't true at all.

Typo. How many other teams boast as many all pros as we do?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That actually makes more sense to me. I could see Trey being frustrated, I really don't blame him.

The share of the preseason reps was not equal in terms of snaps and unit sharing, even if the evaluation of the QB competition was....

Except its been reported that they've been trying to move all throughout the offseason. I think every party involved is just ready to move on.

But why now? Do you think they have a deal in place? You can't really cut him, right?

Someone said that it would be a distraction if Trey was still on the team, but I feel like THIS is wayyy more of a distraction if they don't have a deal done.

They decided on the QB comp. Sam won the comp. So with TL as QB3, what are they supposed to do? Pay him $20m over 2 seasons for an emergency QB? Just doesn't make sense.

TL isn't getting cut.
At least now we can accurately say that Kyle lost confidence in Lances ability. I got crucified for suggesting that too.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by mattster03:
I'm going to say it again...

What an embarrassment.

Indeed. But it happens. The great Bill Walsh whiffed on plenty of high picks also. At least they are acknowledging the mistake and turning the page. Lance would have been a good guy to develop if he was picked mid rounds and wasn't under enormous pressure as the heir apparent. A spectacular fail by Shanahan and the front office. But at the end of the day, it's a very strong roster and they hit large on Purdy with a throw away pick. It's an inexact science for sure.

Never did he use 3 1st round picks to make a move for a QB that hadn't been decided on
Originally posted by boast:
lol. there it is. poster doesnt want other fans to hurt his feelings.

Well SB contenders don't usually get laughed at by the rest of the league. They are suppose to be respected.
Originally posted by tankle104:
At least now we can accurately say that Kyle lost confidence in Lances ability. I got crucified for suggesting that too.

You have to wonder when exactly he knew, that TL isn't it.
they need to give Brandon Allen some game reps Friday if he is going to be QB3.... thus part of the timing to this sh!t show

join the club brother, attacked for predicting just about all that is happening now
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Niners99:
This isn't on Lance, its on Kyle and the FO. Dont trade a massive amount of draft capital for a franchise QB, then sign Sam freaking Darnold because you need more startable QB depth, and then trade Lance for 10 cents on the dollar. It makes no sense. The entire point of adding Darnold was so we didn't end up SOL without a QB in an important game. Now were going to be back to only having 2 guys, and the 2nd guy we chose to keep already proved he sucks over a large sample size.

I get they want to give Lance's career a chance elsewhere if he isn't going to beat out Purdy, but we paid far too much to just trade him off for cheap.

I swear, Shanahan and Lynch are just making their strategy up as they go. 🙄

3 NFCC in 4 years. It's a good strategy.

Patrick Mahomes has 3 Super Bowl Appearances in 5 years as a starter with two rings and two MVP's.

Oh and Andy Reid doesn't make it up as he goes, he actually has an adult plan. Meanwhile Kyle is sitting in QB meetings with hot cheeto dust on his fingers.

Should we continue to fire coach's until the next Patrick Mahomes is born and selected by the Niners? Pretty sure the Niners have decided that Trey Lance is not going to be a new version of Patrick and are moving on.

Andy Read has a long history of not getting to the mountain too, based on your reaction I'd assume you would have fired him before he became the KC Chiefs version.

This fan base would have called for Reid's head immediately after his playoff loss to the Colts.

He was fired by the eagles after 5 NFCCG appearances, but look at him now!

Unlike Kyle Andy learns from his mistakes. Our entire organization struggles with accountability, this is why we will never see that Eddie D dynasty again.
Originally posted by prospector49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I really don't understand what they're doing at this point.

Just my guess, Trey felt he should have won the #2 job.. sees the writing on the wall and just wants to get on with his career (trade or release), instead of some 3rd emergency QB.

Front Office didn't expect that kind of reaction from Trey, thought he'd be a good trooper for another season. And they were just trying to get ahead of the story with their own leaks.

Treyexcuses.

Well Trey gets paid no matter what, his contract is fully guaranteed

Good for him for getting his money, but he will still go down as one of the biggest busts in NFL history.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

It had to be during one of the first two games last year. Trey wasn't even practicing before Darnold was signed.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Probably when he broke his ankle. Kyle seemed to harbor a lot of resentment towards Trey for that.
Share 49ersWebzone