There are 324 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That actually makes more sense to me. I could see Trey being frustrated, I really don't blame him.

The share of the preseason reps was not equal in terms of snaps and unit sharing, even if the evaluation of the QB competition was....

Except its been reported that they've been trying to move all throughout the offseason. I think every party involved is just ready to move on.

But why now? Do you think they have a deal in place? You can't really cut him, right?

Someone said that it would be a distraction if Trey was still on the team, but I feel like THIS is wayyy more of a distraction if they don't have a deal done.

I absolutely think they have a deal in place. That explains the timing and trays absence from practice.

I'm thinking they have a general agreement outlined with a specific team but are working on the exact details of the compensation.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Now that Trey Lance is gone can we all be friends now.

Until we get a similar looking QB again, I'm sure.

Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
That actually makes more sense to me. I could see Trey being frustrated, I really don't blame him.

The share of the preseason reps was not equal in terms of snaps and unit sharing, even if the evaluation of the QB competition was....

Except its been reported that they've been trying to move all throughout the offseason. I think every party involved is just ready to move on.

But why now? Do you think they have a deal in place? You can't really cut him, right?

Someone said that it would be a distraction if Trey was still on the team, but I feel like THIS is wayyy more of a distraction if they don't have a deal done.

I absolutely think they have a deal in place. That explains the timing and trays absence from practice.

I'm thinking they have a general agreement outlined with a specific team but are working on the exact details of the compensation.

Yes. Nothing final yet, but enough to make these moves.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I agree that the 49ers should never have drafted him, though for different reasons than you. But if you spend that kind of capital to draft a player you give them every chance to succussed. The 49ers didn't do this.

This is an example of compounding a mistake. It's chasing losses, the sunk cost fallacy.

And they did give him an opportunity last year. It didn't work out.
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:

LAME ASS MANAGEMENT
STAND TO YOUR DECISIONS.
Answer the question about how you f**ked up 3 first rounders and the whole Lance situation.
My little ones have more pride than Lynch and Shanahan have

Do you think they would say anything other than the boring ass QB responses.

"we love Trey and he's been great he just doesn't have the experience and this is Brock's team so we want to give him an opportunity somewhere else to win the starting spot"

LAME ASS MANAGEMENT
STAND TO YOUR DECISIONS.
Answer the question about how you f**ked up 3 first rounders and the whole Lance situation.

I agree. Don't run and hide from the media.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

They decided on the QB comp. Sam won the comp. So with TL as QB3, what are they supposed to do? Pay him $20m over 2 seasons for an emergency QB? Just doesn't make sense.

TL isn't getting cut.

I'm pretty bummed tbh.

I've been on the "Purdy is our future" bandwagon for awhile now, probably since his the Washington game.

If we do in fact trade him, I hope he goes somewhere where he can thrive.

And we better sign a pass rusher or OT. I'd be happy then.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

LAME ASS MANAGEMENT
STAND TO YOUR DECISIONS.

"we love Trey and he's been great he just doesn't have the experience and this is Brock's team so we want to give him an opportunity somewhere else to win the starting spot"

They act like kyle will never speak to the media again lol

But when the sun is shining on them you do not care if they are on the podium talking hot air.
If there are clouds on the sky you defend them not being up there because "they wont tell any news anyway".
#kylexcuses
if we can spin this guy for some good OL depth we won.

LAME ASS MANAGEMENT
STAND TO YOUR DECISIONS.

Well, ain't gonna be able to run forever. Further backs up the theory they're working on a trade, that way they can use that as part of the justification.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Trey watched Kyle's presser the other day and decided he had enough of this s**t and requested a trade.

Shanny is renown for his straight talk, players say it all the time, they know where they stand.

It is almost certain Trey knows exactly where he stands on the 49ers....he is not going to wake up surprised.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Indeed. But it happens. The great Bill Walsh whiffed on plenty of high picks also. At least they are acknowledging the mistake and turning the page. Lance would have been a good guy to develop if he was picked mid rounds and wasn't under enormous pressure as the heir apparent. A spectacular fail by Shanahan and the front office. But at the end of the day, it's a very strong roster and they hit large on Purdy with a throw away pick. It's an inexact science for sure.

you are not comparing Walsh to ShanaLynch, dont you?
They wiffed in the most important moments. Be it at Superbowl or their handling of the draft in early rounds, topped by this trade for a raw QB they never seemed to care about

The difference between the two is that one is an actual winner.

There is a good book out about Walsh, Parcells and Gibbs. Montana was not the QB Walsh was after. He really wanted Phil Simms apparently, and the better known story is the QB he was scouting at Clemson when he stumbled across Dwight Clark. Walsh, like Shanahan, gave the team a year-in, year-out advantage by being ahead of the curve on the play calling. I'd say Walsh was more impactful than Shanahan, but Shanahan is a big reason we've been in the running. Will the chips fall in our favor this year? Hope so, if we stay healthy. But I hear you on the nagging concern that Shanahan is a choke artist that has pissed away a couple of winnable Super Bowls. It worries me too. But Walsh had the luxury of achieving his Super Bowls before the salary cap in collaboration with a hand-on owner who would spend whatever it took to win. The margins are a lot thinner these days, so Shanahan's achievements are still impressive. Now he needs to bring home a Lombardi, this year. Go Niners!
Originally posted by prospector49:
Originally posted by lamontb:

If this is true, this has to go down as the most mismanaged QB situation in football history. I totally understood naming Purdy the starter. He earned it. I was all for getting Sam Darnold as an insurance QB, NOT TO COMPETE WITH LANCE FOR THE #2 QB JOB!! From what I saw in preseason games you're not making me believe that Darnold outplayed Lance, and from what I read and heard from people who's been at the practices Lance has been better than Darnold. You give up 3 years of 1st round picks, but after 4 career regular season starts (one he got injured in) you basically label him a bust, only to replace him with - you guest it - a proven bust. Name me a bonified QB bust in the history NFL that has gotten so few opportunities to prove himself, including the proven bust on our team now that proved himself to be a bust in 55 games.

And where's the local press corps on this. How is it that they haven't they didn't break this? Shanny & Co. needs a press corps like Chicago or New York. I have never in my life been so disgusted with the team I love.

Finally, Shanny had better win a SB with Brock after this. Because if he don't he's on well-deserved hotseat.

Correct. Total fail

The only thing mismanaged was drafting Trey in the first place. Massive over reach on a total project, a guy that was totally unprepared to be in the NFL.

And now it's being reported that the 49ers have been shopping him all summer, with NO substantial offers from the rest of the NFL. So despite what Grant and others on this board say, Trey does not just "need more reps" to reach his "high ceiling".

I agree that the 49ers should never have drafted him, though for different reasons than you. But if you spend that kind of capital to draft a player you give them every chance to succussed. The 49ers didn't do this.

It's called cutting their losses. Clearly he was even less prepared to be an NFL player than they expected, and less talented compared to NFL talent. You can see that on the field, he is clearly not a duel threat the way he moves. Despite that, they gave him spot chances his first year in the regular season, AND turned the ball over to him in season 3. And with his injuries, he has fallen so far behind that thy have to cut their losses. And yet there are no teams beating down the 49ers door to trade for him, strange for someone with such a high ceiling right?
Originally posted by BSofSF:
It was not a good year to trade the farm for a QB in the draft with those prospects. It's bizarre that they've had such a shrewd eye for later round talent, and have whiffed so spectacularly on many of the high picks.

They get desperate, press the issue, fall in love with guys early instead of letting the draft come to them. They also place wildly optimistic values on players early.

Arrogance would be a big factor is moving up for plsyer with little experience.
Share 49ersWebzone