There are 200 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:

LAME ASS MANAGEMENT

Or, you know, they're busy working out a trade in the moment.

I bet the media will spend 90% of those interviews to ask about Trey.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Originally posted by boast:
lol. there it is. poster doesnt want other fans to hurt his feelings.

Well SB contenders don't usually get laughed at by the rest of the league. They are suppose to be respected.

haters gonna hate
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
It was not a good year to trade the farm for a QB in the draft with those prospects. It's bizarre that they've had such a shrewd eye for later round talent, and have whiffed so spectacularly on many of the high picks.

They get desperate, press the issue, fall in love with guys early instead of letting the draft come to them. They also place wildly optimistic values on players early.

Arrogance would be a big factor is moving up for plsyer with little experience.

Bigger factor is tired of watching jimmy get hurt every year
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 23, 2023 at 2:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

LAME ASS MANAGEMENT
STAND TO YOUR DECISIONS.
Answer the question about how you f**ked up 3 first rounders and the whole Lance situation.
My little ones have more pride than Lynch and Shanahan have

Do you think they would say anything other than the boring ass QB responses.

"we love Trey and he's been great he just doesn't have the experience and this is Brock's team so we want to give him an opportunity somewhere else to win the starting spot"

It's pointless of them to say anything until the pending trade goes through. That's how it always works.

The idea that he's hiding is petty b***hing. It's not like Shanahan won't be in front of the press again in the very near future. There will be an overload of opportunity for him to answer questions about Lance very soon.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I agree that the 49ers should never have drafted him, though for different reasons than you. But if you spend that kind of capital to draft a player you give them every chance to succussed. The 49ers didn't do this.

This is an example of compounding a mistake. It's chasing losses, the sunk cost fallacy.

And they did give him an opportunity last year. It didn't work out.

Attempting to develop your draft picks, especially those you invested a lot of capital in, is not immediately chasing losses or falling prey to the sunk cost fallacy. They drafted him knowing he was incredibly raw (if they didn't that's far worse), and then gave him all of 4 disjointed starts. Sunk cost fallacy is a thing, but so is lacking conviction in your decisions.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Now that Trey Lance is gone can we all be friends now.

Until we get a similar looking QB again, I'm sure.

there's another one
[ Edited by boast on Aug 23, 2023 at 2:39 PM ]
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Arrogance would be a big factor is moving up for plsyer with little experience.

100 percent, but I would say the arrogance was the belief that a win now team could also develop a player at the most important position at the same time.

Had we been a rebuilding team, the move would have made more sense.
Originally posted by Rice-a-Ronnie:
They should have never traded up without a firmly established target in mind. The only guy worth moving up for in that draft class was Lawrence.

1000% agree. Worst decision the team made, and I'm not talking about Lance. I'm referring to the trade up without any player in mind. I like Kyle but he royally screwed this up.
And yet, they're still contending because of excellent late round finds, undrafted FA and smart FA acquisitions.
[ Edited by zeppfan1 on Aug 23, 2023 at 2:41 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Well I fully didn't expect this, after what happened last year. Maybe they need his money to pay Bosa.

My thoughts exactly!!!

Agree. Sad for Trey.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
That actually makes more sense to me. I could see Trey being frustrated, I really don't blame him.

The share of the preseason reps was not equal in terms of snaps and unit sharing, even if the evaluation of the QB competition was....

Except its been reported that they've been trying to move all throughout the offseason. I think every party involved is just ready to move on.

But why now? Do you think they have a deal in place? You can't really cut him, right?

Someone said that it would be a distraction if Trey was still on the team, but I feel like THIS is wayyy more of a distraction if they don't have a deal done.

I absolutely think they have a deal in place. That explains the timing and trays absence from practice.

I'm thinking they have a general agreement outlined with a specific team but are working on the exact details of the compensation.

Yes. Nothing final yet, but enough to make these moves.

go get a veteran Olineman.

Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Now that Trey Lance is gone can we all be friends now.

Until we get a similar looking QB again, I'm sure.

Tattoos!

Apparently KS does not prefer QBs with Tattoos.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

LAME ASS MANAGEMENT
STAND TO YOUR DECISIONS.
Answer the question about how you f**ked up 3 first rounders and the whole Lance situation.
My little ones have more pride than Lynch and Shanahan have

Do you think they would say anything other than the boring ass QB responses.

"we love Trey and he's been great he just doesn't have the experience and this is Brock's team so we want to give him an opportunity somewhere else to win the starting spot"

It's pointless of them to say anything until the pending trade goes through. That's how it always works.

The idea that he's hiding is petty b***hing. It's not like Shanahan won't be in front of the press again in the very near future. There will be an overload of opportunity for him to answer questions about Lance very soon.

They will hold a press conference as soon as Nick Bosa signs his extension so maybe only 85% of the questions will be about Trey.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Attempting to develop your draft picks, especially those you invested a lot of capital in, is not immediately chasing losses or falling prey to the sunk cost fallacy. They drafted him knowing he was incredibly raw (if they didn't that's far worse), and then gave him all of 4 disjointed starts. Sunk cost fallacy is a thing, but so is lacking conviction in your decisions.

Right, but the mistake was the trade and selection itself. It required immediate mitigation, not further investment. That's just the reality of it. It was a disaster as soon as it happened.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Indeed. But it happens. The great Bill Walsh whiffed on plenty of high picks also. At least they are acknowledging the mistake and turning the page. Lance would have been a good guy to develop if he was picked mid rounds and wasn't under enormous pressure as the heir apparent. A spectacular fail by Shanahan and the front office. But at the end of the day, it's a very strong roster and they hit large on Purdy with a throw away pick. It's an inexact science for sure.

you are not comparing Walsh to ShanaLynch, dont you?
They wiffed in the most important moments. Be it at Superbowl or their handling of the draft in early rounds, topped by this trade for a raw QB they never seemed to care about

The difference between the two is that one is an actual winner.

There is a good book out about Walsh, Parcells and Gibbs. Montana was not the QB Walsh was after. He really wanted Phil Simms apparently, and the better known story is the QB he was scouting at Clemson when he stumbled across Dwight Clark. Walsh, like Shanahan, gave the team a year-in, year-out advantage by being ahead of the curve on the play calling. I'd say Walsh was more impactful than Shanahan, but Shanahan is a big reason we've been in the running. Will the chips fall in our favor this year? Hope so, if we stay healthy. But I hear you on the nagging concern that Shanahan is a choke artist that has pissed away a couple of winnable Super Bowls. It worries me too. But Walsh had the luxury of achieving his Super Bowls before the salary cap in collaboration with a hand-on owner who would spend whatever it took to win. The margins are a lot thinner these days, so Shanahan's achievements are still impressive. Now he needs to bring home a Lombardi, this year. Go Niners!

Walsh also goes home a loser in his last game if the Bengals LB doesn't drop a gift INT from Montana. What if the defense doesn't stop the Cowboys after The Catch? What if the Bengals actually score at the goal line and make the comeback against them in SB16?

Legacies turn on a handful of plays.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I agree that the 49ers should never have drafted him, though for different reasons than you. But if you spend that kind of capital to draft a player you give them every chance to succussed. The 49ers didn't do this.

This is an example of compounding a mistake. It's chasing losses, the sunk cost fallacy.

And they did give him an opportunity last year. It didn't work out.

I think there's a divide in the FO and something like this will absolutely bring it to a head. I'm now seeing relevance to all of the reports about some folks wanting o e guy and others wanting another. Someone will have to answer for this, but it won't be Kyle.
Share 49ersWebzone