There are 256 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
To explain why he made a decision on who the BACKUP QB is. Is Josh McDaniels having to explain why he's going to give Aiden O'Connell the QB2 spot over Brian Hoyer?

Oh come on man. You damn well know it's more than that. It's not like he was some rando day 3 pick. Dude was the largest trade move in franchise history at a position that most coaches/GMs get fired at if they f**ked up as bad as they did there.

Lance has been the talking point since he was drafted. He literally said yesterday that he wasn't gonna be making a decision about the backup spot until after the last preseason game. this is one of the top stores in sports right now.

Now you have a couple players go up and get pelted with questions about it? Ya that seems a bit gutless.

Hopefully the have a good reason…like getting Bosa's contract done
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:

LAME ASS MANAGEMENT
STAND TO YOUR DECISIONS.
Answer the question about how you f**ked up 3 first rounders and the whole Lance situation.
My little ones have more pride than Lynch and Shanahan have

Wow!! Are you Sh!tting me Shanny and Lynch? Really? On a day like this, with THIS kind of news, you put Hargrave and Warner out to address the media and answer questions that should be for you? This is totally gutless! I simply can't believe this. You mismanage Lance and now you can't gather the guts to face the world on it?!?! WOW!!

They don't want to reveal their cards at this very moment. Once the situation is resolved, I'm sure they'll answer the tough questions. Don't worry, we know where they work.

I will give them credit for cutting ties early. Alot of GMs would drag it out especially when it is such a high profile pick.

I will say this: the worst-case scenario in the NFL is getting stuck with an okay 1st-round QB who is just decent enough to hang around while paying them fifth-year option money and eventually franchise QB money. The second-worst case scenario in the NFL is completely busting on a high pick QB so badly but still being able to move off of them immediately before you even have to pay them fifth-year option money.

I figured we were in a worse case than the Jets with Zach Wilson, because at least the Jets KNOW Wilson sucks and can move on (I doubt any of the "hand the keys to him after Rodgers" fluff is real). But this shows that we are willing to take the second-worst route instead of the worst route even if it requires swallowing a massive pill.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Been injured twice,

yes, thats on top.
THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP.
Not too many chances for a 20 year old who rarely played in college (our management knew and threw 3 first rounders and a 4th on him) to develop

You do realize his contract gets frickin ridiculous the next two years as a back up right!!! Can't have that.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
they used 3 first rounders on him
he is younger than most QBs drafted 2023!
He is 23.
We dump him.

Cant believe this.

Yep, it was a waste of picks but if they're convinced that he's still a couple years away from being able to play regularly in the NFL then it's better to cut ties sooner rather than later.

Sometimes you make a bad investment, doubling down on it only makes it worse. Cut your losses and move on.

Brock takes all the sting out of it for me.
Think how SF works, right now TL is flapping in the breeze so to speak, and I think SF does right by the guys. We try to have that reputation. So I don't think he will be put in a weird spot where he doesn't know his status if it's here or traded for long. Expect real clarity soon would be my guess.
Free Trey
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Heroism:
He gone

Yep

f**k you Kyle. Idiot.

I will NEVER forgive kyle for this loaded roster and 3 NFCCG appearances

NEVER

There was a time, decades ago, when getting blown out in the NFCCG was not considered a good outcome.

How many of those teams didn't have a single QB for the game?

How many QB injuries can a team have before we can't just simply chalk it up to bad luck everytime?

Yeah, that's a BS take. The fact that the Niners made it to the NFC Championship on their third QB, and were competitive into the second quarter while on their fourth, was one of the more remarkable achievements in franchise (league?) history. I get the frustration, but a little perspective is in order.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Rice-a-Ronnie:
I wonder if they package Lance with someone else.

Would be kinda cool if they traded him to WAS for Sweat or something.

You mean an actual bucket of sweat? No way in hell will that package persuade WAS to make that trade, they're most likely willing to trade Young and even then I don't think they make the deal unless we throw in more

then we throw in more. We have ELEVEN draft picks in 2024. Lets go all in this year and try to secure the Dline with adding a pass rusher.
TL gets dumped for trading places in the 2nd round? fire sale

You mean an actual bucket of sweat? No way in hell will that package persuade WAS to make that trade, they're most likely willing to trade Young and even then I don't think they make the deal unless we throw in more

Yeah, the only real thing the team will gain from trading Trey will be cap space. Once it happens, and I believe it'll happen in the next few days, I don't expect anything more than a 5th or 6th.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Heroism:
He gone

Yep

f**k you Kyle. Idiot.

I will NEVER forgive kyle for this loaded roster and 3 NFCCG appearances

NEVER

There was a time, decades ago, when getting blown out in the NFCCG was not considered a good outcome.

How many of those teams didn't have a single QB for the game?

How many QB injuries can a team have before we can't just simply chalk it up to bad luck everytime?

Purdy's injury was definitely bad luck, super rare injury that had to happen at a specific time/motion etc for it to happen.

We had bad luck with Jimmy & Lance, both were on plays where they ran the ball (If I remember correctly). Purdy's was bad luck to land that specific injury. that eagles team was unique that it had like 5-6 top pass rushers, that is rare. almost set a record for sacks. So it isn't like we are the only team that they got to the QB on.

Purdy's injury had little to do with the skill of their pass rush and more to do with their coaches prepping them well for what we like to do. It could have been Tully Banta-Cain rushing Purdy on that play and he still likely would have gotten there when the only guy blocking him was a 2nd string TE.
Whole situation just doesn't sit well with me. I was hoping we would just roll with who we have and keep Lance for an emergency. Aside from trading away all those picks for him, signing Darnold and trading Lance feels wrong.
He wasn't at practice cause he's gone, finito.
[ Edited by Montana on Aug 23, 2023 at 3:10 PM ]

then we throw in more. We have ELEVEN draft picks in 2024. Lets go all in this year and try to secure the Dline with adding a pass rusher.

latest I heard on C Young is he has to meet with doctors lol
Share 49ersWebzone