There are 181 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:
Best for him?
Kyle and everyone saying that this kid needs reps and experience.
Yes, sitting behind Purdy AND Darnold obviously will help him to be a "very successful player in this league"

What NFL team do you think is giving game reps to Lance in his current state? What current starter is he beating out?

Well, there were many other teams interested in drafting him when we did, hence the need to trade up for him. All would have known he was raw and needed development, so I would imagine similar teams still lurk.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Montana:
He barely spoke to anyone on the sidelines at the Raiders game from what I saw..looked a million miles away. Guess he probably knew. Hoping the best for him.

I do believe the team has kept him the know. People just hang on public statements way too much.

The fact he wasn't at practice tells me that something is going on. that wouldn't happen if it wasn't for some sort of issue and/or trade.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
The amount of chances Darnold gets in this league is so baffling to me. And when he doesn't work out here he will still have the media singing his praises and making a bunch of excuses.

He's a backup man! He went from 3rd overall* pick golden boy to competing for a starting job with Carolina, to being a clear QB2 here. It's a normal progression.

He's just a better player than Trey Lance. That's all there is to this.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Aug 23, 2023 at 3:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
so is this going to go down as the worst trade up draft pick in the history of the NFL? looks like it for now, and ShannLynch should shoulder all the blame

RGIII was worse.

Look at what we gave up compared to them. It's not close.

RGIII played some good football for the Redskins, Trey was much worse
The amount of chances Darnold gets in this league is so baffling to me. And when he doesn't work out here he will still have the media singing his praises and making a bunch of excuses.

Darnold is at this point the standard career backup - talented enough to help you in a pinch, but not at a level to be relied on long term. Good work ethic, but never displaying to have "it" at the NFL starter level. Nothing baffling about it, IMO.

He's a backup man! He went from 3rd overall* pick golden boy to competing for a starting job with Carolina, to being a clear QB2 here. It's a normal progression.

Alex Smith got a bunch of chances too. Baker Mayfield is on his third chance. Mariota has had a bunch of chances. It's normal for guys of their caliber and/or franchises without a QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick got like 14 chances. lmao
Originally posted by tankle104:

Alex Smith got a bunch of chances too. Baker Mayfield is on his third chance. Mariota has had a bunch of chances. It's normal for guys of their caliber and/or franchises without a QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick got like 14 chances. lmao

Ooh ooh ooh, Geno Smith says hi.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Best for him?
Kyle and everyone saying that this kid needs reps and experience.
Yes, sitting behind Purdy AND Darnold obviously will help him to be a "very successful player in this league"

What NFL team do you think is giving game reps to Lance in his current state? What current starter is he beating out?

Well, there were many other teams interested in drafting him when we did, hence the need to trade up for him. All would have known he was raw and needed development, so I would imagine similar teams still lurk.

How do you know? I will never be convinced we needed to move up for him.
Watch Darnold throw 2 picks on Friday. Now that he was handed the #2 job he can go back to doing what he does best and that is turn the ball over.

its not about him being a starter anywhere.
its about a staff that believes in him and wants to develop him.
Thats obviously not the case in SF when they place friggin Sammy D in front of you.
[ Edited by 49ersFan_vienna on Aug 23, 2023 at 4:03 PM ]

Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
so is this going to go down as the worst trade up draft pick in the history of the NFL? looks like it for now, and ShannLynch should shoulder all the blame

RGIII was worse.

Look at what we gave up compared to them. It's not close.

The Ditka trade for Ricky Williams was bad.
Watch Darnold throw 2 picks on Friday. Now that he was handed the #2 job he can go back to doing what he does best and that is turn the ball over.

Trey practically threw 2 last week and the week before

its not about him beeing a starter anywhere.
its about a stuff that believes in him and wants to develop him.
Thats obviously not the case in SF when the place friggin Sammy D in front of you.

Why develop someone who can't beat out Sammy D
Yeah, cutting him this early could have negative effects on his career. Sigh
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Montana:
He barely spoke to anyone on the sidelines at the Raiders game from what I saw..looked a million miles away. Guess he probably knew. Hoping the best for him.

I do believe the team has kept him the know. People just hang on public statements way too much.

The fact he wasn't at practice tells me that something is going on. that wouldn't happen if it wasn't for some sort of issue and/or trade.

I suppose one theory is that Kyle named Darnold QB2, and then Trey just wants out. But that might not be likely. If Trey requested to be trade, I think that would be the news headline.
Share 49ersWebzone