LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 132 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by boast:
Steve Young said Trey should claw and fight his way to stay in SF. said it's the best place for him to get better.

Can we just say once and for all, Steve Young, great QB, not so great football commentator. Being QB2 like Zack Wilson behind Aaron Rodgers is not such a bad thing. Being third string behind two younger, cheaper players is not a good position to be in. Lance would be better off with a fresh start. From the Niners perspective, I thought there would be value in keeping him and letting him run the practice squad against our first rate defense, assuming the trade offers will be crap.

Young's perspective is all about the QB room/coaches. He had TERRIBLE coaching in Tampa Bay, and his point is that a QB never wants to be in such a situation. It's better to be low on the depth chart than to be in a truly awfully coached team / QB room. Now, that doesn't mean Lance is guaranteed to be moved to such a place - there are other good QB rooms out there on teams with less SB aspirations - but Young isn't exactly wrong. It's a valid viewpoint, but it's admittedly colored by Young being able to seize his opportunity when it did arrive.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Montana:
He barely spoke to anyone on the sidelines at the Raiders game from what I saw..looked a million miles away. Guess he probably knew. Hoping the best for him.

I do believe the team has kept him the know. People just hang on public statements way too much.

The fact he wasn't at practice tells me that something is going on. that wouldn't happen if it wasn't for some sort of issue and/or trade.

I suppose one theory is that Kyle named Darnold QB2, and then Trey just wants out. But that might not be likely. If Trey requested to be trade, I think that would be the news headline.

It's just weird to me that Lance wasn't out there today. It may of been his decision but idk. I almost feel like he's known he was QB3 for a while, especially if most of us did. makes me think the team told him theyre going to move him and he can go home.

Yep, that is more likely. If they are going to move him anyway, he can go home. We already have 3 QB sharing reps, so Trey wouldn't get anyway.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
While I will be absolutely forever livid if Trey becomes a pro bowl top echelon QB for another team, not gonna be mad at all if Trey bounces us from the playoffs on whatever team he joins. Kyle would deserve it and plenty of the posters on the zone.

Kyle better pray that Trey is ultimately mediocre or worse or that Brock wins us #6.

If Brock goes down now for the season we are completely f**ked.

Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:
its not about him being a starter anywhere.
its about a staff that believes in him and wants to develop him.
Thats obviously not the case in SF when they place friggin Sammy D in front of you.

Who do you think believes in a guy who hadn't played meaningful football since 2019 to invest a significant amount of time and effort into developing him?

If he gets traded it'll be for a mid-round pick and any team that gets him will be taking out a flyer on him. He'll be allowed to swim or sink on his own.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Why develop someone who can't beat out Sammy D

Our development energy is with Brock.

Most dramatic backup QB competition in league history, lol.

Right so much drama over the guy we hope to never be on the field. Some fans have a weird love for Trey and are taking it personal. After watching the Johnny Manziel special on Netflix I don't trust any story the national media runs with
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Steve Young said Trey should claw and fight his way to stay in SF. said it's the best place for him to get better.

Can we just say once and for all, Steve Young, great QB, not so great football commentator. Being QB2 like Zack Wilson behind Aaron Rodgers is not such a bad thing. Being third string behind two younger, cheaper players is not a good position to be in. Lance would be better off with a fresh start. From the Niners perspective, I thought there would be value in keeping him and letting him run the practice squad against our first rate defense, assuming the trade offers will be crap.

Steve was concerned he could end up on a team that's not so QB friendly
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Watch Darnold throw 2 picks on Friday. Now that he was handed the #2 job he can go back to doing what he does best and that is turn the ball over.

I believe Trey was fine being Brock's backup. He knows Brock has been fantastic and just wanted the chance to backup and keep moving forward. Now his coach totally blew him off. The problem is now he can't even go somewhere else and have any chance than he does here this year.

another thing. Let's say we're winning 41-10 in the 3rd. Are you seriously putting Sam darnold in to clean up rather than trey? Makes no sense lol
And letting Lance hand off the ball the rest of the way does what lol
1) Disappointed in this whole process, I wanted Lance from the moment we traded up. And for the record, I'm not not mad at the trade. We took a big swing and apparently whiffed.

2) I honestly believe that it was essentially a tie this offseason between Darnold and Lance, and apparently that was enough to push Darnold to #2, as he's more similar to Purdy.

3) Is Shanahan on the hot seat? No. Should he be? Not yet. If Lance is in fact a bust, then you have to give it to them for moving on quickly. If he's not, and let's say in 3 years he's better than anything the Niners have and the Niners haven't won a SB, then absolutely.

4) I still don't think trading him makes sense or cutting him for that matter, there's enough dead cap anyway. Our history with QBs and our poor O-line means we'll most likely need Darnold and may need Lance too. Keep him as scout QB. The object is to win a SB this year and he's more valuable as a second backup than a 4th rounder next year.

5) He may have asked for a trade. If that's the case, then I'm less reluctant to let him leave, but still return is pretty minimal.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Atlanta was heavily rumored to be interested in him, and almost every mock draft. I read, had him going in the top five. Teams get overzealous when drafting quarterbacks, and I rarely see those slated to go high slide. It happens, but Mitch Trubiskis happen too. I just remember many outlets debating between Lance, fields, Wilson. Jones was added in to the debate later, but only because of the reported interest from Kyle Shanahan.

And that's the problem, we don't know how much of that is BS. Every year we see players that are rumored or are locks to go to such and such a team and they end up falling a lot further.

I do know that the team apparently traded u without an exact idea on who they were going to pick and that is where I really fault them. That's just such crazy risky/bad decision making. They seemingly moved up out of desperation.
they better have extra security at Kyle's home tonight. Lol Ryan Hensley about to try and assassinate Kyle.

hahahaha that dude. his tweet about Trey throwing 500+ yards if he had played the entire DEN game had me lolling.

Yes, that had me LMAO
what a 🤡

Originally posted by libertyforever:
If I remembered correctly, Darnold had 0 turnover worthy plays during preseason, Trey had around 6.

Because Darnold was playing it safe. He was playing not to lose the #2 job. But now that he has it he will go back to doing what he does. He's been doing it for 6 years. Why would it be any different now?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
And letting Lance hand off the ball the rest of the way does what lol

Exactly. Take the next step in these thoughts people.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Hope he becomes a star. Because f**k Kyle.

Such a weird position to take. You'd rather the 49ers and Purdy all fail miserably just to spit Kyle? You'd choose to go 0-17 just to spite Kyle? This is dumb.

It's crazy. I'm over here saying "f**k TREY" for not developing into Mahomes. Instead he became EJ Manuel

I was hoping he'd become Jalen Hurts and instead he became Jalen Hurd.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Aug 23, 2023 at 4:08 PM ]
In the end, we took a big swing at a QB and whiffed, but took a flyer on another and hit the jackpot. I'm just happy that we may have finally found our guy, regardless of the road we took to find him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Who do you think believes in a guy who hadn't played meaningful football since 2019 to invest a significant amount of time and effort into developing him?

If he gets traded it'll be for a mid-round pick and any team that gets him will be taking out a flyer on him. He'll be allowed to swim or sink on his own.

I say mid to late round and probably a pick swap.

The first thing the new team will want to see, can you play? His contract is up at the end of next year. So it's not about let's give you 5 years to develop, that's not a thing. Guys have to win now in most NFL cities, or they are out. That goes for players, coaches, GMs everybody. Perform now or see ya. It's a quick business.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Aug 23, 2023 at 4:09 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone