There are 298 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Why develop someone who can't beat out Sammy D

23 years old
Very raw.
You saw something in him when he was 20.
He was hurt over a year since then.

If you believed in him when you drafted him there is no reason to not believe in him any more because he rarely got more experience than he had when you drafted him

The reasons are 1. Brock Purdy's performance last year, and 2. the window of opportunity has come and gone. They can't tell this talented roster for yet another year that they are rolling with the less ready guy. They did that once but just can't do it again.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Atlanta was heavily rumored to be interested in him, and almost every mock draft. I read, had him going in the top five. Teams get overzealous when drafting quarterbacks, and I rarely see those slated to go high slide. It happens, but Mitch Trubiskis happen too. I just remember many outlets debating between Lance, fields, Wilson. Jones was added in to the debate later, but only because of the reported interest from Kyle Shanahan.

And that's the problem, we don't know how much of that is BS. Every year we see players that are rumored or are locks to go to such and such a team and they end up falling a lot further.

There is video footage from their draft room celebrating when the Niners picked Lance.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Watch Darnold throw 2 picks on Friday. Now that he was handed the #2 job he can go back to doing what he does best and that is turn the ball over.

I believe Trey was fine being Brock's backup. He knows Brock has been fantastic and just wanted the chance to backup and keep moving forward. Now his coach totally blew him off. The problem is now he can't even go somewhere else and have any chance than he does here this year.

another thing. Let's say we're winning 41-10 in the 3rd. Are you seriously putting Sam darnold in to clean up rather than trey? Makes no sense lol
And letting Lance hand off the ball the rest of the way does what lol

Thanks for laugh because you're totally right in that Kyle wouldn't even call a pass for him 😂
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
so is this going to go down as the worst trade up draft pick in the history of the NFL? looks like it for now, and ShannLynch should shoulder all the blame

I still can't get over SWH trying to tell me this morning that you can't call the pick a bust lol..

can we make definitive future claims on TL when he is wearing another uni? That the pick didn't work out for us? what are the rules here?

Oh, it's definitely looking like a bust.
I say mid to late round and probably a pick swap.

The first thing the new team will want to see, can you play? His contract is up at the end of next year. So it's not about let's give you 5 years to develop, that's not a thing. Guys have to win now in most NFL cities, or they are out. That goes for players, coaches, GMs everybody. Perform now or see ya. It's a quick business.

This. The idea that another team is going to give him runway to develop like it's still 2021 after 3-4 years of not playing football is just insane. It's not going to happen.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by libertyforever:
If I remembered correctly, Darnold had 0 turnover worthy plays during preseason, Trey had around 6.

Because Darnold was playing it safe. He was playing not to lose the #2 job. But now that he has it he will go back to doing what he does. He's been doing it for 6 years. Why would it be any different now?

Do you just say s**t without actually looking at real fact?? Lol
All this drama is why people suggested trading Trey this year to the people who said trading Trey makes no sense
Was really hoping Trey would end up on a Subway commercial saying he pro-ferred Chicken Terriaki. Might not have the chance now
I say mid to late round and probably a pick swap.

The first thing the new team will want to see, can you play? His contract is up at the end of next year. So it's not about let's give you 5 years to develop, that's not a thing. Guys have to win now in most NFL cities, or they are out. That goes for players, coaches, GMs everybody. Perform now or see ya. It's a quick business.

Bingo. A team will want some instant return and improvement. He has to show he can hack it this season, if not he can go join the backup QB circuit and maybe down the road when things slow down for him he can have a Geno Smith like resurgence.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:

23 years old
Very raw.
You saw something in him when he was 20.
He was hurt over a year since then.

If you believed in him when you drafted him there is no reason to not believe in him any more because he rarely got more experience than he had when you drafted him

The reasons are 1. Brock Purdy's performance last year, and 2. the window of opportunity has come and gone. They can't tell this talented roster for yet another year that they are rolling with the less ready guy. They did that once but just can't do it again.
It's not that. It's the fact they wouldn't even give him qb2. Zero faith in the kid.
Watch him bounce to Seattle, LA, or Dallas in a couple years and tear us up for a decade 😂

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Our development energy is with Brock.

Most dramatic backup QB competition in league history, lol.

Because he's probably the most RAW QB prospect ever, especially in the top 5 picks. Why couldn't they have just named Trey the backup, when Kyle just came out and said who's #2 could change throughout the season. Week to week. Did we really need to worry about Sam being upset becoming #3? Do we think Trey was that poor that he didn't deserve to be #2? His teammates don't seem to hate him like many were suggesting.

Had Jimmy not gotten hurt again, it wouldn't shock me if he was the starter right now over Purdy, we only have an upgrade to Jimmy by accident, because Kyle can't evaluate the position.

Like, whatever mine or yours evaluation of Trey is, it's irrelevant. I just don't how can anyone trust Kyle with the QB position. Brandon Allen could very well be better than Sam, and we've given him no playing time essentially.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Atlanta was heavily rumored to be interested in him, and almost every mock draft. I read, had him going in the top five. Teams get overzealous when drafting quarterbacks, and I rarely see those slated to go high slide. It happens, but Mitch Trubiskis happen too. I just remember many outlets debating between Lance, fields, Wilson. Jones was added in to the debate later, but only because of the reported interest from Kyle Shanahan.

And that's the problem, we don't know how much of that is BS. Every year we see players that are rumored or are locks to go to such and such a team and they end up falling a lot further.

Sure, I doubt any of us are as connected as teams FOs. I still remember how wrong they got the Aaron Rogers mock. Some slide and some are overdrafted, even teams don't always know. Hell, we bamboozled the Chicago Bears into trading up with us for Mitch.They obviously thought we had interest in him. At this point, there is no way of knowing where he would have been drafted. Had we not traded up and taking him.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If I remembered correctly, Darnold had 0 turnover worthy plays during preseason, Trey had around 6.

Because Darnold was playing it safe. He was playing not to lose the #2 job. But now that he has it he will go back to doing what he does. He's been doing it for 6 years. Why would it be any different now?

Do you just say s**t without actually looking at real fact?? Lol

I know I do
People are trying to make excuses for Kyle saying Trey is not the only top drafted QB To not work out. No but I am sure he is the only one that was given up on after 4 starts and had a HC who refused to even try to develop him.

Perhaps you can asked Steve Young, Warren Moon, Rich Gannon, Geno Smith, Alex Smith, and etc.
Share 49ersWebzone