There are 156 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:

I dont care how we find our qb, when you get him you get him, rest his history

I don't care what Riddick says, no team has hired him for a front office, and if they did, they let his sorry ass go.

Why would they let him go?

Don't get so defensive over something that objectively was a massive f**k up.

This go down as one of the worst draft picks in the franchises history and we got 170 random passes to make a judgement over it. I love kyle, but he isn't above being judged either.

This. Regardless of how people feel, the criticism is warranted. This is a massive f**k up, and it's only gonna get more amplified if Purdy turns out to be average or worse.
At the end of the day I just don't think Trey is the type of QB Shanny wants/wanted. This pick never really made any sense to me for that very reason. Kyle wants a structured QB who's nimble enough to escape pressure but is also going to run the offense and plays he chooses. He doesn't want a mobile guy who might take a run instead of run his play.

Now I think Trey will become a legit pocket guy but I couldn't tell you when.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I hope Lance fails miserably on whatever team he is sent to. If he becomes a perennial pro bowler, I am going to be livid.

Don't look at it that way, homie. I'm still hoping he has a great career, but the fit wasn't right here. Hell, RGIII may have had a good career if not for the Shanahans, doesn't mean either is wrong. Was just never a fit.

While I will be absolutely forever livid if Trey becomes a pro bowl top echelon QB for another team, not gonna be mad at all if Trey bounces us from the playoffs on whatever team he joins. Kyle would deserve it and plenty of the posters on the zone.

Kyle better pray that Trey is ultimately mediocre or worse or that Brock wins us #6.

If Brock goes down now for the season we are completely f**ked.

First of all, what is wrong with you? lol. That first bolded statement is cringe.

Second of all, we were f**ked if we had to go with Lance too at QB2. He was clearly beaten by Darnold.

Lol he isn't a 49er fan, hes a Trey Lance fan. there is a difference. he wants to be right so bad about Lance that he wants the team to have bad outcomes. If he is rooting for another team to beat the 49ers in the playoffs, he isn't a 49er fan.

i concur, we were still royally effed if Brock went down and lance was here. It's just delusions of grandeur that Lance would come in and be Mahomes.

It was really obvious. He hoped Brock remained hurt so that Lance could get reps. Cmon lol
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
so what should they of done when they started him? they drafted him to play so they didn't have to pay Jimmy and could keep the team around him together. I think they underestimated how raw he really was and the learning curve involved. They didn't draft him to sit him for 2-3 years, the plan was for him to start after one and be able to play well enough to keep them in contention (Beause apparently what Jimmy was doing was really simple and easy).

The running him was wild but I'm assuming his passing was really unreliable and volatile, like it still is.

He should have not been selected 3rd overall firstly.

Second of all he should have never been given the job on a SB capable team without an ability to execute the offense while there were at least two better QBs on the roster. It put him behind with his teammates, and it got him hurt. And it also probably cost us homefield advantage in the playoffs.

oh yeah, I 100% agree with that. I've been saying that for a year now. I don't think they had a choice, they had to start him. can't draft him and never actually attempt to put him out there. They at least gave him a shot and he got injured. this whole thing has been horrible.
Jimmy is somewhere right now like "Really? you put me through all of that for a QB3? REALY?!?"
Actually I do.
Getting the majority of your first round picks right proves you are prepared and able to evaluate players accordingly.
Getting lucky on Mr. Irrelevant not so...thats more of a haymaker or winning in a lottery.

Now if we get into this situation again I would be more comfy to have someone on my side hitting the majority of his first rounders than someone who went lucky with Mr. Irrelevant. The odds getting as lucky a second time i would not trust on.

4 all pros outside the first round would suggest far more than luck.
if you want your team to hit on first rounders, this is not the team to be a fan of. hahaha

lol it seems some fans think that's more important than actually winning
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Someone have the numbers for cap space saved this year and next? Wasn't it like 9m combined?

I think someone told me but I forget

I think money has to be a factor. While not franchise money, a player drafted in his slot is slated to make around $10 Million guaranteed next year. And if Darnold is the backup that they want, he's on a one year deal. If Purdy continues to play well, he'll be getting a bump in time. You can't be paying a third stringer $10 Million.

idk if Waterbear saw but we save $3.7M this year and $5.3M next season if we trade him post june 1 (which is what would happen)

if we cut him, we will have $15M dead cap space next year, so it's better to give lance away for free (or pay for someone to take him) than it is to cut him.

It's going to be excruciating if we end up dealing him to Miami for a pittance after they fleeced us to move up to their position and draft him in the first place. And I read that Miami makes some sense because he knows the offense and they have an injury-prone starter.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
It's going to be excruciating if we end up dealing him to Miami for a pittance after they fleeced us to move up to their position and draft him in the first place. And I read that Miami makes some sense because he knows the offense and they have an injury-prone starter.

Mike McDaniel hanging up the phone (or more realistically never picking it up).

Dudes that were here with him are not trading for him. I'll be really surprised to see otherwise.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I don't care what Riddick says, no team has hired him for a front office, and if they did, they let his sorry ass go.

He's right though. That doesn't mean someone should be fired. But this was a major lesson to be learned.

The lesson is they should come onto the 49er webzone and go with the consensus draft crush

I have yet to see the WZ reach consensus on anything or anyone.

The Bosa polls were usually 90% and that's just cause Phoenix was going full on election fraud tipping the scale for QW

I remember a lot of guys wanted Mahomes on here. I wanted Watson but I never really studied Mahomes cause... Texas Tech.. lol

Yeah I forget the guys name Young81 or something but he said in the Mahomes forum that he would take Mahomes at 2. It was one of those painful to read comments. Or when we drafted Ahkello Weatherspoon someone said "with Cooper Kupp on the board?!?!" Or something like that. Just pain
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
4 all pros outside the first round would suggest far more than luck.

Why not take them in the first rounds then if you are sure they get all pros?
That does not make sense. You risk to lose them if you are as convinced (and not lucky)
They value others more (and continously miss on them).

Originally posted by swoosh6996:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I dont care how we find our qb, when you get him you get him, rest his history

Why would they let him go?

Don't get so defensive over something that objectively was a massive f**k up.

This go down as one of the worst draft picks in the franchises history and we got 170 random passes to make a judgement over it. I love kyle, but he isn't above being judged either.

This. Regardless of how people feel, the criticism is warranted. This is a massive f**k up, and it's only gonna get more amplified if Purdy turns out to be average or worse.

Yeah, idk what the hell you guys thought I was saying but I was just talking sh!t about Riddick. lol im not defensive about anything.

I've been saying this was a disaster from the beginning. I've said it a million times on here we shouldn't of taken lance, especially with the team we have and our timeline. You cant draft a guy with 400 pass attempts in his life, all at lower level of play, and think he can all of a sudden lead a complex offense and championship team. its asinine. He never should of been drafted by us. I literally still cant wrap my head around what logic would be used to justify drafting Lance to our team at that time. it was flat out common sense that it wasn't going to work.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
I hope Lance fails miserably on whatever team he is sent to. If he becomes a perennial pro bowler, I am going to be livid.

Don't look at it that way, homie. I'm still hoping he has a great career, but the fit wasn't right here. Hell, RGIII may have had a good career if not for the Shanahans, doesn't mean either is wrong. Was just never a fit.

If we move on from Trey, I absolutely want Kyle and Lynch to be right about moving on from him. I don't think that's out of line to say. If he becomes a star, that's going to be a dark cloud hanging over this franchise, unless we win a Superbowl soon.

Hope he becomes a star. Because f**k Kyle.

So you're saying you're more of a Trey fan than a Niners fan?

No.

I would root for the Niners vs ANY TEAM no matter who is their QB. I worship the logo not the players wearing the helmet with the logo.

However, in the case of Trey I believe in his abilities and think the 49ers are handling the qb position terribly starting from passing on Mahomes due to a love affair with kirk cousins and then a former crush on the bust that is sam darnold and bringing him here in the first place. And now this.

Not to mention Brock has only a 7-game sample size himself.

Trey becoming a star would have nothing to do with me wanting the Niners to not win the Super Bowl every year.

He's right though. That doesn't mean someone should be fired. But this was a major lesson to be learned.

The lesson is they should come onto the 49er webzone and go with the consensus draft crush

I have yet to see the WZ reach consensus on anything or anyone.

The Bosa polls were usually 90% and that's just cause Phoenix was going full on election fraud tipping the scale for QW

I remember a lot of guys wanted Mahomes on here. I wanted Watson but I never really studied Mahomes cause... Texas Tech.. lol

Yeah I forget the guys name Young81 or something but he said in the Mahomes forum that he would take Mahomes at 2. It was one of those painful to read comments. Or when we drafted Ahkello Weatherspoon someone said "with Cooper Kupp on the board?!?!" Or something like that. Just pain

I'm just going to do you a favor and take credit for both of those. feel free to replace "Young81 or something" with "Tankle104", please. Thank you hahaha
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
At the end of the day I just don't think Trey is the type of QB Shanny wants/wanted. This pick never really made any sense to me for that very reason. Kyle wants a structured QB who's nimble enough to escape pressure but is also going to run the offense and plays he chooses. He doesn't want a mobile guy who might take a run instead of run his play.

Now I think Trey will become a legit pocket guy but I couldn't tell you when.

he wanted Trey to run his O and have the ability to play 11 on 11 ball if it broke down. one of the issues was that Trey turned out not to be as fast or as agile as they thought. we all saw that on the field.
[ Edited by boast on Aug 23, 2023 at 4:45 PM ]
so what should they of done when they started him? they drafted him to play so they didn't have to pay Jimmy and could keep the team around him together. I think they underestimated how raw he really was and the learning curve involved. They didn't draft him to sit him for 2-3 years, the plan was for him to start after one and be able to play well enough to keep them in contention (Beause apparently what Jimmy was doing was really simple and easy).

The running him was wild but I'm assuming his passing was really unreliable and volatile, like it still is.

He should have not been selected 3rd overall firstly.

Second of all he should have never been given the job on a SB capable team without an ability to execute the offense while there were at least two better QBs on the roster. It put him behind with his teammates, and it got him hurt. And it also probably cost us homefield advantage in the playoffs.

oh yeah, I 100% agree with that. I've been saying that for a year now. I don't think they had a choice, they had to start him. can't draft him and never actually attempt to put him out there. They at least gave him a shot and he got injured. this whole thing has been horrible.
Jimmy is somewhere right now like "Really? you put me through all of that for a QB3? REALY?!?"

Jimmy has no high horse to stand on here. He got injured again and that alone proved Shanny/Lynch correct. That the QB they drafted 3rd overall wasn't the answer on the other end doesn't let Jimmy off the hook for being the question.
Share 49ersWebzone