LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 204 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
At the end of the day I just don't think Trey is the type of QB Shanny wants/wanted. This pick never really made any sense to me for that very reason. Kyle wants a structured QB who's nimble enough to escape pressure but is also going to run the offense and plays he chooses. He doesn't want a mobile guy who might take a run instead of run his play.

Now I think Trey will become a legit pocket guy but I couldn't tell you when.

he wanted Trey to run his O and have the ability to play 11 on 11 ball if it broke down. one of the issues was that Trey turned out not to be as fast or as agile as they thought. we all saw that on the field.

That only makes it look like a worse decision on their part.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
This is the only thing that makes sense given Kyle's comments. Good for him honestly. I don't think Sam did enough but again, I'm not at practice so I wouldn't know.

Kyle is feeding a message out for public consumption. We are trying to trade him because we want to, lol.

Im all for trading Trey at this point, if they truly don't see anything in Trey going forward, or if they can use the money to bolster this roster, or potentially keep Hufanga and Aiyuk.

But man, I feel like I trust Kyle and John less and less. Compounding mistakes like drafting 3rd round RBs, to replace 3rd round RBs.

I wish I could say they learn from their mistakes, but I don't see it.

Yeah they've made so many mistakes, just look at this s**tty roster we are stuck with...
It almost feels like it was Darnolds job to lose from the beginning.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by tankle104:
so what should they of done when they started him? they drafted him to play so they didn't have to pay Jimmy and could keep the team around him together. I think they underestimated how raw he really was and the learning curve involved. They didn't draft him to sit him for 2-3 years, the plan was for him to start after one and be able to play well enough to keep them in contention (Beause apparently what Jimmy was doing was really simple and easy).

The running him was wild but I'm assuming his passing was really unreliable and volatile, like it still is.

He should have not been selected 3rd overall firstly.

Second of all he should have never been given the job on a SB capable team without an ability to execute the offense while there were at least two better QBs on the roster. It put him behind with his teammates, and it got him hurt. And it also probably cost us homefield advantage in the playoffs.

oh yeah, I 100% agree with that. I've been saying that for a year now. I don't think they had a choice, they had to start him. can't draft him and never actually attempt to put him out there. They at least gave him a shot and he got injured. this whole thing has been horrible.
Jimmy is somewhere right now like "Really? you put me through all of that for a QB3? REALY?!?"

Jimmy has no high horse to stand on here. He got injured again and that alone proved Shanny/Lynch correct. That the QB they drafted 3rd overall wasn't the answer on the other end doesn't let Jimmy off the hook for being the question.

when Jimmy stayed healthy, we were either in the super bowl or NFCC, that's worth something. He just couldn't stay healthy. He had his limitations, no doubt, but we treated him like crap for this.. lol I felt like that situation was handled very poorly as well.

I remember after Jimmy was supposed to leave after the 2021 season, he did an interview and said "yeah, I hope no one ever has to experience what I did last year. very uncomfortable and awkward" or something like that.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I dont care how we find our qb, when you get him you get him, rest his history

Actually I do.
Getting the majority of your first round picks right proves you are prepared and able to evaluate players accordingly.
Getting lucky on Mr. Irrelevant not so...thats more of a haymaker or winning in a lottery.

Now if we get into this situation again I would be more comfy to have someone on my side hitting the majority of his first rounders than someone who went lucky with Mr. Irrelevant. The odds getting as lucky a second time i would not trust on.

Lol. Look at the team? It is made up of mostly draft picks and all the stars are mostly draft picks outside Trent, C Mac, And Hargreaves
if you want your team to hit on first rounders, this is not the team to be a fan of. hahaha

Dude cares more about process than actual results
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

It was a terrible evaluation, but mostly because it was so obvious he needed real playing time and how could a team in our position give it to him without sacrificing the team's goals.

He needed to be picked by a bad team like the Bears. Give him consequence free playing time for two years.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
No.

I would root for the Niners vs ANY TEAM no matter who is their QB. I worship the logo not the players wearing the helmet with the logo.

However, in the case of Trey I believe in his abilities and think the 49ers are handling the qb position terribly starting from passing on Mahomes due to a love affair with kirk cousins and then a former crush on the bust that is sam darnold and bringing him here in the first place. And now this.

Not to mention Brock has only a 7-game sample size himself.

Trey becoming a star would have nothing to do with me wanting the Niners to not win the Super Bowl every year.

The star who gets beaten out by Darnold, who is QB3, I mean ask yourself why KS sold the ranch for this guy, and now is bailing. You really are convinced, he's a star?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Yeah they've made so many mistakes, just look at this s**tty roster we are stuck with...

Both things are true, an historically bad trade and a great roster. Crazy.

So what they took a swing, they still found their guy regardless, on an already loaded roster

Originally posted by pd24:

I dont care how we find our qb, when you get him you get him, rest his history

Actually I do.
Getting the majority of your first round picks right proves you are prepared and able to evaluate players accordingly.
Getting lucky on Mr. Irrelevant not so...thats more of a haymaker or winning in a lottery.

Now if we get into this situation again I would be more comfy to have someone on my side hitting the majority of his first rounders than someone who went lucky with Mr. Irrelevant. The odds getting as lucky a second time i would not trust on.

Lol. Look at the team? It is made up of mostly draft picks and all the stars are mostly draft picks outside Trent, C Mac, And Hargreaves

yeah, i dont know if he knows what he is talking about. Its debatable that we have been the best team in the league when it comes to the draft and UDFA over the last 6 years. this team is mainly built off of players we scouted and developed. Just cause we missed in one round, but hit in a bunch of others, doesn't mean theyre bad at drafting.

statistically, I think its like 75% of players drafted in the first round are busts. if you can get 2-3 starters out of a draft, thats a great draft. if you look at every teams drafts, they miss on almost all their picks and they aren't on the team within 2-3 years.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Aug 23, 2023 at 4:51 PM ]
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
At the end of the day I just don't think Trey is the type of QB Shanny wants/wanted. This pick never really made any sense to me for that very reason. Kyle wants a structured QB who's nimble enough to escape pressure but is also going to run the offense and plays he chooses. He doesn't want a mobile guy who might take a run instead of run his play.

Now I think Trey will become a legit pocket guy but I couldn't tell you when.

he wanted Trey to run his O and have the ability to play 11 on 11 ball if it broke down. one of the issues was that Trey turned out not to be as fast or as agile as they thought. we all saw that on the field.

they swung for the fences in a unique situation. had it worked we'd all be singing kumbayah. unfortunately s**t happened and all didnt go as planned. you move on and keep going forward.
[ Edited by boast on Aug 23, 2023 at 4:50 PM ]
if you want your team to hit on first rounders, this is not the team to be a fan of. hahaha

To be fair the process does matter. We've been great overall in the roster building category but we want to sustain it going forward. That's not guaranteed no matter where you find success in the draft. Keep working to get better. You do that by being critical of the process.

To be fair the process does matter. We've been great overall in the roster building category but we want to sustain it going forward. That's not guaranteed no matter where you find success in the draft. Keep working to get better. You do that by being critical of the process.

Finding a qb is hard, and our process and results have yield arguably the most talented roster in football
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
This is the only thing that makes sense given Kyle's comments. Good for him honestly. I don't think Sam did enough but again, I'm not at practice so I wouldn't know.

Kyle is feeding a message out for public consumption. We are trying to trade him because we want to, lol.

Im all for trading Trey at this point, if they truly don't see anything in Trey going forward, or if they can use the money to bolster this roster, or potentially keep Hufanga and Aiyuk.

But man, I feel like I trust Kyle and John less and less. Compounding mistakes like drafting 3rd round RBs, to replace 3rd round RBs.

I wish I could say they learn from their mistakes, but I don't see it.

I mean, they have, but they've also made some great moves and brought in the right kind of players. The locker room is always great, due to the character they bring in, and Kyle is a great coach.

I'm just not sure that will be enough to win a SB, which is ultimately what I and every other fan wants.

My comments were more directed at Kyle's ability to scout the most important position. Unless Purdy becomes elite, which he may very well do, I'm not sure we'll get number 6 with him.
Share 49ersWebzone