LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 252 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Allen's first couple of seasons in Buffalo were much like Trey's minus the injuries. The difference is Buffalo had the time and patience to allow him to develop. Much the same with Hurts in Philly.

You're talking about statistical results. I'm talking about what is mostly 'god-given' ability. There is no comparison between Trey and Josh's talent.

Plus I watched Allen really closely. I'm telling you guys his accuracy issues were overblown. He played for a college where he had the burden of doing everything and it was not a QB friendly offense. The same was true in Buffalo and most young QBs take time to adjust.

When did I bring up statistics? Allen is a better runner than Trey but their processing and experience in reading defenses early on in their careers was much the same.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Someone have the numbers for cap space saved this year and next? Wasn't it like 9m combined?

I think someone told me but I forget

I think money has to be a factor. While not franchise money, a player drafted in his slot is slated to make around $10 Million guaranteed next year. And if Darnold is the backup that they want, he's on a one year deal. If Purdy continues to play well, he'll be getting a bump in time. You can't be paying a third stringer $10 Million.

If he gets moved they save $5M this yr and next. They still eat $5M both yrs as well.

the whole you don't pay a 3rd string $10M is irrelevant…Lance gets half of that cash regardless if he is here or not.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
The amount of improvement needed from Lance is quite high, where and how will that happen? Being a good guy with the right attitude only goes so far

People again just acting like those last 2 drives vs the Broncos never happened.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by tankle104:
if you want your team to hit on first rounders, this is not the team to be a fan of. hahaha

Dude cares more about process than actual results

To be fair the process does matter. We've been great overall in the roster building category but we want to sustain it going forward. That's not guaranteed no matter where you find success in the draft. Keep working to get better. You do that by being critical of the process.

Finding a qb is hard, and our process and results have yield arguably the most talented roster in football

Having arguably the most talented roster in football is not the end goal.

It's often the means to the end, though. Pretty short list of untalented rosters to win a championship:

---

^ That list

The problem is we have the talent yet don't win championships. That points to coaching and management.
Allen's first couple of seasons in Buffalo were much like Trey's minus the injuries. The difference is Buffalo had the time and patience to allow him to develop. Much the same with Hurts in Philly.

You're talking about statistical results. I'm talking about what is mostly 'god-given' ability. There is no comparison between Trey and Josh's talent.

Plus I watched Allen really closely. I'm telling you guys his accuracy issues were overblown. He played for a college where he had the burden of doing everything and it was not a QB friendly offense. The same was true in Buffalo and most young QBs take time to adjust.

I watched allen as a rookie and reviewed some of his film, I don't think lance looks half as good as Allen did. It was a small sample size but I thought Lance looked inept out there with a stacked team and favorable offense. Allen didn't have Jack go throw to until he got Diggs in his what, third year?

this "patience" thing is annoying. Lol you want them to wait 5 years to see if a player will work out? So what we did with Alex smith? Especially when we have a guy the team genuinely believes can be a top qb in this league and has shown it so far? At this rate he would be going into year five, HIS SECOND CONTRACT, unless we fifth year optioned him, to see how he would be in a second season. Assuming he can stay healthy.

it's all just been unfortunate.
When did I bring up statistics? Allen is a better runner than Trey but their processing and experience in reading defenses early on in their careers was much the same.

Maybe statistics was the wrong word. I'm just not talking about results, or experience, or the mental side of the game. I'm purely talking about talent. Trey is not close.
It's pretty clear they're all-in on Kirk Cousins 2024. This is just a cost cutting move as they try to clear up room to pay Cousins 40 million next year. They're probably trying to work out a trade for Bosa, so that they can free up his money for Cousins as well.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Aug 23, 2023 at 5:21 PM ]

I would have to imagine they would have some sort of trade talks going on to come to this conclusion…if not then don't say anything until you actually have too.
It's pretty clear they're all-in on Kirk Cousins 2024. This is just a cost cutting move as they try to clear up room to pay Cousins 40 million next year. They're probably trying to work out a trade for Bosa, so that they can free up his money for Cousins as well.

yeah all this is pretty clear.
Originally posted by tankle104:

I watched allen as a rookie and reviewed some of his film, I don't think lance looks half as good as Allen did. It was a small sample size but I thought Lance looked inept out there with a stacked team and favorable offense. Allen didn't have Jack go throw to until he got Diggs in his what, third year?

this "patience" thing is annoying. Lol you want them to wait 5 years to see if a player will work out? So what we did with Alex smith? Especially when we have a guy the tea genuinely believes can be a top qb in this league and has shown it so far? At this rate he would be going into year five, HIS SECOND CONTRACT, unless we fifth year optioned him, to see how he would be in a second season. Assuming he can stay healthy.

it's all just been unfortunate.

I may not be totally correct on the exact number, but I think Trey had 6 turnover worthy plays in the preseason, all other QBs had none.

Maybe statistics was the wrong word. I'm just not talking about results, or experience, or the mental side of the game. I'm purely talking about talent. Trey is not close.

What do you mean by talent? If not arm strength, quick processing, or reading coverages? Mechanics, maybe?
Originally posted by libertyforever:
I may not be totally correct on the exact number, but I think Trey had 6 turnover worthy plays in the preseason, all other QBs had none.

vs scrubs mostly too
Originally posted by boast:

If Brock turns into a pumpkin or gets hurt again…it's is a pretty obvious pivot for Kyle.

Not sure about the nonsense with trading Bosa lol. Some people are going full tilt right now
Originally posted by Shemp:
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
At the end of the day I just don't think Trey is the type of QB Shanny wants/wanted. This pick never really made any sense to me for that very reason. Kyle wants a structured QB who's nimble enough to escape pressure but is also going to run the offense and plays he chooses. He doesn't want a mobile guy who might take a run instead of run his play.

Now I think Trey will become a legit pocket guy but I couldn't tell you when.

I think Mac Jones, while not a perfect QB, would have been a perfect fit for Shanny's system. He's a younger Matt Ryan type. Somehow the talent observers on the team got enamored with an inexperienced project with no dominant traits or results on film and talked themselves into him being the next Josh Allen.

talk about a low-ceiling player

trade him for the best available

Originally posted by NYniner85:

If Brock turns into a pumpkin or gets hurt again…it's is a pretty obvious pivot for Kyle.

Not sure about the nonsense with trading Bosa lol. Some people are going full tilt right now

Brock has a 1 year audition to change Kyle's mind, but Kyle is known for being stubborn.
Share 49ersWebzone