LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 233 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by YACBros85:
What do you mean by talent? If not arm strength, quick processing, or reading coverages? Mechanics, maybe?

Arm talent (which to me is not just pure strength when they're set). Go watch the types of off platform throws Allen made in college. The variation in throw types: bullets, touch passes, floaters…

Running ability, size.

Allen is in the Elway category IMO. He's that gifted physically.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Allen's first couple of seasons in Buffalo were much like Trey's minus the injuries. The difference is Buffalo had the time and patience to allow him to develop. Much the same with Hurts in Philly.

You're talking about statistical results. I'm talking about what is mostly 'god-given' ability. There is no comparison between Trey and Josh's talent.

Plus I watched Allen really closely. I'm telling you guys his accuracy issues were overblown. He played for a college where he had the burden of doing everything and it was not a QB friendly offense. The same was true in Buffalo and most young QBs take time to adjust.

I watched allen as a rookie and reviewed some of his film, I don't think lance looks half as good as Allen did. It was a small sample size but I thought Lance looked inept out there with a stacked team and favorable offense. Allen didn't have Jack go throw to until he got Diggs in his what, third year?

this "patience" thing is annoying. Lol you want them to wait 5 years to see if a player will work out? So what we did with Alex smith? Especially when we have a guy the tea genuinely believes can be a top qb in this league and has shown it so far? At this rate he would be going into year five, HIS SECOND CONTRACT, unless we fifth year optioned him, to see how he would be in a second season. Assuming he can stay healthy.

it's all just been unfortunate.

I may not be totally correct on the exact number, but I think Trey had 6 turnover worthy plays in the preseason, all other QBs had none.

He has 2 good final drives and the second last one had a couple TWP plays. He was really bad otherwise. I really don't understand what others saw that made them think he was in the lead.

id of been shocked if he beat darnold out at this point
[ Edited by tankle104 on Aug 23, 2023 at 5:29 PM ]
What do you mean by talent? If not arm strength, quick processing, or reading coverages? Mechanics, maybe?

Arm talent (which to me is not just pure strength when they're set). Go watch the types of off platform throws Allen made in college. The variation in throw types: bullets, touch passes, floaters…

Running ability, size.

Allen's faster than he seems too. Runs with authority l. Allen probably has the strongest arm in the league too.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by boast:
It's pretty clear they're all-in on Kirk Cousins 2024. This is just a cost cutting move as they try to clear up room to pay Cousins 40 million next year. They're probably trying to work out a trade for Bosa, so that they can free up his money for Cousins as well.

yeah all this is pretty clear.

If Brock turns into a pumpkin or gets hurt again…it's is a pretty obvious pivot for Kyle.

Not sure about the nonsense with trading Bosa lol. Some people are going full tilt right now

Brock has a 1 year audition to change Kyle's mind, but Kyle is known for being stubborn.

He's rightfully giving up on Trey already that's not stubborn at all
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Allen's first couple of seasons in Buffalo were much like Trey's minus the injuries. The difference is Buffalo had the time and patience to allow him to develop. Much the same with Hurts in Philly.

You're talking about statistical results. I'm talking about what is mostly 'god-given' ability. There is no comparison between Trey and Josh's talent.

Plus I watched Allen really closely. I'm telling you guys his accuracy issues were overblown. He played for a college where he had the burden of doing everything and it was not a QB friendly offense. The same was true in Buffalo and most young QBs take time to adjust.

I watched allen as a rookie and reviewed some of his film, I don't think lance looks half as good as Allen did. It was a small sample size but I thought Lance looked inept out there with a stacked team and favorable offense. Allen didn't have Jack go throw to until he got Diggs in his what, third year?

this "patience" thing is annoying. Lol you want them to wait 5 years to see if a player will work out? So what we did with Alex smith? Especially when we have a guy the tea genuinely believes can be a top qb in this league and has shown it so far? At this rate he would be going into year five, HIS SECOND CONTRACT, unless we fifth year optioned him, to see how he would be in a second season. Assuming he can stay healthy.

it's all just been unfortunate.

I may not be totally correct on the exact number, but I think Trey had 6 turnover worthy plays in the preseason, all other QBs had none.

Trey has had 3 TWP's and yes all other QB's had none. Trey has converted a 1st down at a rate of 46% while Darnold is at 32%. 30% is bottom of the league and 50% is elite.
BTW Darnold was like 4-9 in practice today.
Allen's faster than he seems too. Runs with authority l. Allen probably has the strongest arm in the league too.

The guy is Elway or Favre like throwing the ball, and he runs like Cam Newton. Just a freak…
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by boast:
It's pretty clear they're all-in on Kirk Cousins 2024. This is just a cost cutting move as they try to clear up room to pay Cousins 40 million next year. They're probably trying to work out a trade for Bosa, so that they can free up his money for Cousins as well.

yeah all this is pretty clear.

If Brock turns into a pumpkin or gets hurt again…it's is a pretty obvious pivot for Kyle.

Not sure about the nonsense with trading Bosa lol. Some people are going full tilt right now

i think they'd be more apt to re-sign DarNO if Brock melts.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTB1974:

Wow
Kudos to Kyle and John. Yeah, they took a gamble to try to improve our big game choke artist, and lost. They do hit on late picks consistently, and gave themselves a chance to get lucky with Brock, and they did. It's fair to criticize the Lance trade and pick, but it's the correct decision to essentially admit your mistake, and carry on playing the hand you are holding. Many many small people would try to salvage their mistake to the detriment of the team.

Sam is the guy Kyle is most comfortable with after Brock, and if the truth were known, I bet Allen is next.

My understanding is we will save about $3.5m this year if we trade him, and I'd be happy to see that go straight to Bosa. We don't need a great trade. Any trade saves us money. These guys are man enough to take the arrows for a weak trade, and go forth after that SB. The fan base should thank our lucky stars and appreciate that.

Kudos.

Hes our backup

Running ability, size.

And that arm gets him in trouble a whole lot.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pd24:

Wow

OMG - end of days
The guy is Elway or Favre like throwing the ball, and he runs like Cam Newton. Just a freak…

And Kyle still would have moved off him after year 2.
Share 49ersWebzone