LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 257 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
You just aren't realizing or accepting of what the mistakes were and what we had to mitigate. You're advocating the idea that we should have dug a deeper hole. The team realized this quicker than Trey's biggest supporters.

No they f**ked it up from day 1. You're a SB roster and you move up to 3 for a 20 yr old with 300 passing attempts in his career, who hadn't played meaningful football since 2019 and you think you have a final decision on him after 170 random passing attempts lol? He breaks his ankle and doesn't play organized football for 11 months until the Raiders game and everyone is having a field day s**tting on him. GTFO.

Lucking into Brock doesn't mask how poorly they handled all of it…especially a good portion of rhis fan base
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 23, 2023 at 7:07 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
you think it was about money?

Yeah that extra $5M is really hurting the $170M Bosa contract they're working up lol.

in a salary capped league, every million matters. not necessarily to Bosa's contract but for the ability for teams to sign players mid season because of injury. this money if not used also gets carried over to next season. the Niners are going to be up against the cap in 2024. every million saved from now on will only help re-signing guys like Aiyuk.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by SFrush:
There is still a reasonable chance he will stay on the roster as QB3. Given what happened last year QB3 could get a start after the halfway point in the season. He is still cheap and we are bound to keep him as he is in his third year unless we find a suitable trade. I don't think there are many takers knocking on our door to trade him.

I doubt he'll be on the roster week one but we'll see.

The only option for him not to be on the roster is if they could find someone who wanted to trade for him. It would be at a massive loss

AND? Lol. It is already lost, they aren't looking to make up then picks
Originally posted by prospector49:
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by tankle104:

say it louder for the low resolution crowd.

This 100%

Not a great take, at all. Could have taken Penei Sewell at 3 and had a stud RT to bookend with Trent. Coulda not traded out and had Micah Parsons at 12 and we'd have 3 of the top 10-15 defenders in the league on one team. Still woulda been able to get Brock in the next draft.
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Aug 23, 2023 at 7:08 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
You just aren't realizing or accepting of what the mistakes were and what we had to mitigate. You're advocating the idea that we should have dug a deeper hole. The team realized this quicker than Trey's biggest supporters.

No they f**ked it up from day 1. You're a SB roster and you move up to 3 for a 20 yr old with 300 passing attempts in his career, who hadn't played meaningful football since 2019 and you think you have a final decision on him after 170 random passing attempts lol? He breaks his ankle and doesn't play organized football for 11 months until the Raiders game and everyone is having a field day s**tting on him. GTFO.

Lucking into Brock doesn't mask how poorly they handled all of it…especially a good portion of rhis fan base

Lance got paid for his time. Get over it. The 49ers are better now than when they drafted him.

The pick was the problem. They compounded it by handing him the job with no competition.

Since that point it's been all mitigation. And we'll be better for it as a team. I'm thankful they adjusted fast because now's not the time for [unconditional] patience. I feel very badly for Trey as an individual, but this is pro sports.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Aug 23, 2023 at 7:10 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:
There is still a reasonable chance he will stay on the roster as QB3. Given what happened last year QB3 could get a start after the halfway point in the season. He is still cheap and we are bound to keep him as he is in his third year unless we find a suitable trade. I don't think there are many takers knocking on our door to trade him.

I doubt he'll be on the roster week one but we'll see.

The only option for him not to be on the roster is if they could find someone who wanted to trade for him. It would be at a massive loss

He needs reps and he's not going to get them as a third string QB. For his sake I hope he requested a trade.
[ Edited by Hopper on Aug 23, 2023 at 7:11 PM ]
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
To be fair, they planned to give him the whole 2022 season but he got hurt.

how's that "fair" ? He got 31 passing attempts then made him split reps with Sam Darnold all camp.

Because Brock took his job. Pretty simple. The NFL isn't fair, sports isn't fair. This is seniority at Campbell's Soup. Lol

I think there is confusion about this. I don't think anyone expected Lance to start over Brock. But to not be the backup is surprising to me and obviously many fans feel the same.

Why? He isn't better than Darnold, better to allocate whatever savings to this roster an Bosa extension

Before camp, I expected/hoped Lance would beat him out, but after watching the last two games and reading camp reports/what coaches have been saying - it was pretty clear who was in the lead.

also, since the team now views Purdy as the long term option, they're really not concerned what Lance could do for them in 2-3 years. They need the best QB for THIS year and after an off season, Kyle things Sam is more dependable. This really isn't anything new, Lance was the worst QB on the roster last year, same this year (outside of Allen).

it's not a shot at Lance, it's just the reality of the situation cause of his lack of experience and now the teams changed their long term option. I really hope Lance can catch on in a good situation but he may stay here this year.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

This 100%

Not a great take, at all. Could have taken Penei Sewell at 3 and had a stud RT to bookend with Trent. Coulda not traded out and had Micah Parsons at 12 and we'd have 3 of the top 10-15 defenders in the league on one team. Still woulda been able to get Brock in the next draft.

Look at draft picks from every round the last 20 years and they could have taken a lot of people a long with every other team. Sewell wasn't going to win the SB for us last season
Originally posted by boast:
in a salary capped league, every million matters. not necessarily to Bosa's contract but for the ability for teams to sign players mid season because of injury. this money if not used also gets carried over to next season. the Niners are going to be up against the cap in 2024. every million saved from now on will only help re-signing guys like Aiyuk.

I know how it works. Acting like the bases of all this is because of money is silly imo.

There's always money to be moved around. Extension to help free up cap space sooner. Back loading deals etc. good look a Hurts contract

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:

I know how it works. Acting like the bases of all this is because of money is silly imo.

There's always money to be moved around. Extension to help free up cap space sooner. Back loading deals etc. good look a Hurts contract

Forget the money. He sucks, they messed up and are moving on

This 100%

You are right, they could have, but had they done that, would they have still drafted Brock in the 7th round of the next years draft?

They likely would not have because their needs and other teams needs would have been different. That's what this guy's post is getting at, there is no point in looking back and saying we could have had this, we could have had that. Yes, spend 3 number one picks on Lance was a huge fail, and I never would have done it on that unknown a talent. But the 49ers got extremely luck in getting Purdy, and they are still in peak competition for the Super Bowl with a very cheap, young QB they believe in.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

This 100%

oh we are doing could have would have should have now?

too easy in hindsight.

we look forward to your successful run as an NFL GM.
There has never been a top drafted QB who has gotten so little gametime to prove his worth before being dumped in NFL history. What the 49ers are doing with Trey Lance is absolutely unprecedented.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Lance declared himself for the draft early. He got the f**k around and find out.

He came off 1 game covid season, he went after the draft hype and money. Enjoy it
Share 49ersWebzone