Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 237 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
There has never been a top drafted QB who has gotten so little gametime to prove his worth before being dumped in NFL history. What the 49ers are doing with Trey Lance is absolutely unprecedented.

It was his own fault. He sucked coming out. He could have stayed, he wanted the pay day

Lol OK dude.
There has never been a top drafted QB who has gotten so little gametime to prove his worth before being dumped in NFL history. What the 49ers are doing with Trey Lance is absolutely unprecedented.

Injuries and then another player exploding on the scene. I feel like people are taking this thing wrong, like they never tried to do right by Lance. He just kept getting injured and another player exploded on the scene, in a historical way, and won everyone over.

they gave him a redshirt year to learn, and sprinkled plays in until he keep getting hurt. Then they gave him his entire second year, unchallenged, and he got hurt. It's just unfortunate but what else is the team supposed to do?

Ignore Brock and give the guy they have less confidence in the job just because he's a nice guy? I feel for Lance but what is the team supposed to do? It's year three and if he was a stud, you'd expect him to be able to beat a bust journeyman
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
in a salary capped league, every million matters. not necessarily to Bosa's contract but for the ability for teams to sign players mid season because of injury. this money if not used also gets carried over to next season. the Niners are going to be up against the cap in 2024. every million saved from now on will only help re-signing guys like Aiyuk.

I know how it works. Acting like the bases of all this is because of money is silly imo.

There's always money to be moved around. Extension to help free up cap space sooner. Back loading deals etc. good look a Hurts contract

money isnt the basis for all this Trey news today. i never said it was. but it's a consideration in the decisions made.

lol at your last sentence. that's pure ignorance.

Lol yeah showing how contracts/cap can be manipulated is ignorance.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by prospector49:
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by tankle104:

say it louder for the low resolution crowd.

This 100%

Not a great take, at all. Could have taken Penei Sewell at 3 and had a stud RT to bookend with Trent. Coulda not traded out and had Micah Parsons at 12 and we'd have 3 of the top 10-15 defenders in the league on one team. Still woulda been able to get Brock in the next draft.

oh we are doing could have would have should have now?

too easy in hindsight.

we look forward to your successful run as an NFL GM.

There is no chance we would have drafted Micah Parsons. It's laughable his name keeps being brought up.

You don't know that. Lol. It is laughable that you think you know what they would do

Linebacker was not a position of need at the time. This is obvious.

This isn't true. At all. The NFL is littered with 1st round QBs that ended up playing about what Lance already has with the team that selected them. Drunkenmiller. McGwire. Ware. Marinovich.
in a salary capped league, every million matters. not necessarily to Bosa's contract but for the ability for teams to sign players mid season because of injury. this money if not used also gets carried over to next season. the Niners are going to be up against the cap in 2024. every million saved from now on will only help re-signing guys like Aiyuk.

I know how it works. Acting like the bases of all this is because of money is silly imo.

There's always money to be moved around. Extension to help free up cap space sooner. Back loading deals etc. good look a Hurts contract

money isnt the basis for all this Trey news today. i never said it was. but it's a consideration in the decisions made.

lol at your last sentence. that's pure ignorance.

Lol yeah showing how contracts/cap can be manipulated is ignorance.

lol you still dont get it. jesus f**king christ.

you don't plan your future around manipulating contracts. you have zero business experience huh?
[ Edited by boast on Aug 23, 2023 at 7:25 PM ]

Injuries and then another player exploding on the scene. I feel like people are taking this thing wrong, like they never tried to do right by Lance. He just kept getting injured and another player exploded on the scene, in a historical way, and won everyone over.

they gave him a redshirt year to learn, and sprinkled plays in until he keep getting hurt. Then they gave him his entire second year, unchallenged, and he got hurt. It's just unfortunate but what else is the team supposed to do?

Ignore Brock and give the guy they have less confidence in the job just because he's a nice guy? I feel for Lance but what is the team supposed to do? It's year three and if he was a stud, you'd expect him to be able to beat a bust journeyman

I don't disagree with any of this, nor did I learn anything. What you just said doesn't refute what I said.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
The pick was the problem. They compounded it by handing him the job with no competition.

Since that point it's been all mitigation. And we'll be better for it as a team. I'm thankful they adjusted fast because now's not the time for [unconditional] patience. I feel very badly for Trey as an individual, but this is pro sports.

Dude highly invested QBs don't have legit competitions. They get drafted and they play football.

yeah having Lance on this team as a backup QB is just terrible for this team overall. Wow we're so lucky to be getting rid of that cancer of a player. He for sure is hurting this team being here Lol yup you sure some like the voice of reason lol.

Why in the world is Kinlaw still on the team?

Because Kinlaw plays a position where they keep lile 10 guys? Next

And they can keep 3 QBs. What's your point? No they don't keep 10 DTs and if it's about money they've been wasting it on him for multiple yrs.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
This is BS. Shanny has lied to the media before. Plus, the way he went after Darnold on day one of free agency lead many to conclude that the writing was on the wall for Lance from the very beginning. It would not surprise me for it to come out that Lance asked for a trade after acquiring Darnold. And give how Shanny has treated him I can't blame him.

yeah f**k Shanny for naming Trey the unquestionable starter going into 2022. f**k Shanny for breaking Trey's finger and his ankle. f**k Shanny!!!! amirite!

Now your being hyperbolic. My problem is that Shanny has totally mismanaged this whole QB situation, but people like you are acting like we're pulling stuff out of the sky. Shanny made his mind up about Lance at the end of last season. He had no real intention to develop Lance fully. I think he realized how much it was gonna really take to develop him and simply checked out. He proceeded to sign two absolute busts, and then made him "compete" with the one who proved - beyond a shadow of a doubt - in front of God and the whole world in 55 games he's a bonified bust. From my eye, Darnold didn't out-play Lance. From many reports from those who were at camp stated that Lance looked better than Darnold in practice.

Given that, Shanny's mind was already made up to move on from Lance a long time ago but was surprised at the real progress he'd made. When he said Darnold would split reps with Darnold I knew then that Lance had no chance, no matter the progress or how he looked in practice. If Shanny truly intended to develop Lance, he would have given all the reps to Lance and never subjected him to no "competition" with anyone for QB2 given what the 49ers spent to get him, period. Instead, to save face from their own evaluation ineptitudes, they allowed narratives that put all the fault with Lance to proliferate all throughout the media, even to the point where many sports commentators spewed personal insults at Lance. And because they don't have a press corps like in NY or Chicago, where Shanny would actually be asked the hard questions and not treated with kid gloves, they were allowed let Lance eat the blow-back of those narrative with no defense or pushback from Shanny, Lynch or any 49ers brass. He basically was hung out to dry. For me, this is most condemnable and damning.

No Sir, my beloved 49ers failed Trey Lance. I'll always pull for my 49ers, no matter who the QB is. But this team DID NOT get better today; we got worse with naming Darnold the number 2. I know Shanny said that he plans to play Lance tomorrow, but frankly what's the point for Lance? If I were Lance, I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to a football field until I got traded or released. There's absolutely no need for him to go out there and risk injury playing against future Home Depot workers trying desperately to make a team.
I knew this day would come. I've said it before. Some better takes in here now.
He wasn't my choice in the draft. He had some skills and looked like a great QB but just seemed so raw and not a good fit unless he improved like Allen did but that wasn't a given like some thought.
After he was drafted, I liked him more as I leaned what a great guy he was and a hard worker. I got a jersey and hoped for him to be great.
He had injury issues and didn't improve as quick as they hoped. I did like the improvements he made in mechanics this year.

I never thought he was Shanny pick. The fans were throwing a fit threatening to riot. The front office pushed Shanny to learn to like him. There were so many clues since then that they weren't sold on Lance now. All the leaked stories. They brought Jimmy back. Lance plays and they just ran him up the middle. Bringing Darnold on to be the backup. Purdys play was showing us what Shanny wants and Lance lacks.

I came here and said he should be traded. Going to a team where he could get more reps and grow with the team was best for him.
Unfortunately, some here had such strong opinions that Lance had to be the guy. Anyone that disagreed was a hater or wanted him to fail. No,it was just reality some of us had seen that now is out in the open. It was toxic so I didn't follow the thread for awhile. I wish him the best elsewhere

. I am excited for what we are left with for our QBs this year. I got my Purdy jersey. You guys needs to get ones from China so you are only are out 30 when the player is gone.
I can share where I buy from if anyone wants to know. Just message.

Originally posted by captveg:

This isn't true. At all. The NFL is littered with 1st round QBs that ended up playing about what Lance already has with the team that selected them. Drunkenmiller. McGwire. Ware. Marinovich.

I think trading up into the top 3, using three future first rounds picks, making it one of the biggest/costliest trades in history does backup how Steve feels.
I don't disagree with any of this, nor did I learn anything. What you just said doesn't refute what I said.

you original comment leaves out a very important point tho. it ignores the team believes they found their FQB while Trey was injured.

The more I've read into this, I think there is a better chance that Lance stays here than I originally thought. I feel like the team is going to try and keep him, at least to the trade deadline, because they won't like the value they're being offered for him.

i guess it just depends on if Trey raises a stink. Which doesn't seem like him.
Originally posted by jobiwon:
I knew this day would come. I've said it before. Some better takes in here now.
He wasn't my choice in the draft. He had some skills and looked like a great QB but just seemed so raw and not a good fit unless he improved like Allen did but that wasn't a given like some thought.
After he was drafted, I liked him more as I leaned what a great guy he was and a hard worker. I got a jersey and hoped for him to be great.
He had injury issues and didn't improve as quick as they hoped. I did like the improvements he made in mechanics this year.

I never thought he was Shanny pick. The fans were throwing a fit threatening to riot. The front office pushed Shanny to learn to like him. There were so many clues since then that they weren't sold on Lance now. All the leaked stories. They brought Jimmy back. Lance plays and they just ran him up the middle. Bringing Darnold on to be the backup. Purdys play was showing us what Shanny wants and Lance lacks.

I came here and said he should be traded. Going to a team where he could get more reps and grow with the team was best for him.
Unfortunately, some here had such strong opinions that Lance had to be the guy. Anyone that disagreed was a hater or wanted him to fail. No,it was just reality some of us had seen that now is out in the open. It was toxic so I didn't follow the thread for awhile. I wish him the best elsewhere

. I am excited for what we are left with for our QBs this year. I got my Purdy jersey. You guys needs to get ones from China so you are only are out 30 when the player is gone.
I can share where I buy from if anyone wants to know. Just message.

Lol, good post and jersey buying advice.
lol you still dont get it. jesus f**king christ.

you don't plan your future around manipulating contracts. you have zero business experience huh?

Family owned a business my whole life. I was in business for 15 yrs so try again.

Every team plans around manipulating contracts in the future. It's a massive part of the business and is needed to remain under the cap every yr. Again go look at what Philly does.

my god dude, don't get so uptight. I said it wasn't all about the cash. You agreed. They had his contract in the books and planned around it for yrs. Like YOU said teams do lol.
Share 49ersWebzone