Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 179 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
nobody is laughing now in this thread about this or saw this coming.... again, not surprising I knew when Brandon Allen was signed it was to compete with TL for QB3 and he would most likely prevail

Some posters owe you an apology.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by boast:
This is BS. Shanny has lied to the media before. Plus, the way he went after Darnold on day one of free agency lead many to conclude that the writing was on the wall for Lance from the very beginning. It would not surprise me for it to come out that Lance asked for a trade after acquiring Darnold. And give how Shanny has treated him I can't blame him.

yeah f**k Shanny for naming Trey the unquestionable starter going into 2022. f**k Shanny for breaking Trey's finger and his ankle. f**k Shanny!!!! amirite!

Now your being hyperbolic. My problem is that Shanny has totally mismanaged this whole QB situation, but people like you are acting like we're pulling stuff out of the sky. Shanny made his mind up about Lance at the end of last season. He had no real intention to develop Lance fully. I think he realized how much it was gonna really take to develop him and simply checked out. He proceeded to sign two absolute busts, and then made him "compete" with the one who proved - beyond a shadow of a doubt - in front of God and the whole world in 55 games he's a bonified bust. From my eye, Darnold didn't out-play Lance. From many reports from those who were at camp stated that Lance looked better than Darnold in practice.

Given that, Shanny's mind was already made up to move on from Lance a long time ago but was surprised at the real progress he'd made. When he said Darnold would split reps with Darnold I knew then that Lance had no chance, no matter the progress or how he looked in practice. If Shanny truly intended to develop Lance, he would have given all the reps to Lance and never subjected him to no "competition" with anyone for QB2 given what the 49ers spent to get him, period. Instead, to save face from their own evaluation ineptitudes, they allowed narratives that put all the fault with Lance to proliferate all throughout the media, even to the point where many sports commentators spewed personal insults at Lance. And because they don't have a press corps like in NY or Chicago, where Shanny would actually be asked the hard questions and not treated with kid gloves, they were allowed let Lance eat the blow-back of those narrative with no defense or pushback from Shanny, Lynch or any 49ers brass. He basically was hung out to dry. For me, this is most condemnable and damning.

No Sir, my beloved 49ers failed Trey Lance. I'll always pull for my 49ers, no matter who the QB is. But this team DID NOT get better today; we got worse with naming Darnold the number 2. I know Shanny said that he plans to play Lance tomorrow, but frankly what's the point for Lance? If I were Lance, I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to a football field until I got traded or released. There's absolutely no need for him to go out there and risk injury playing against future Home Depot workers trying desperately to make a team.

i dont agree it was mismanaged. i believe unfortunately timed injuries derailed the team's plan for Trey. he was given the team in 2022. got injured and then we all watched Brock's ascension.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
The pick was the problem. They compounded it by handing him the job with no competition.

Since that point it's been all mitigation. And we'll be better for it as a team. I'm thankful they adjusted fast because now's not the time for [unconditional] patience. I feel very badly for Trey as an individual, but this is pro sports.

Dude highly invested QBs don't have legit competitions. They get drafted and they play football.

yeah having Lance on this team as a backup QB is just terrible for this team overall. Wow we're so lucky to be getting rid of that cancer of a player. He for sure is hurting this team being here Lol yup you sure some like the voice of reason lol.

Why in the world is Kinlaw still on the team?

Because Kinlaw plays a position where they keep lile 10 guys? Next

And they can keep 3 QBs. What's your point? No they don't keep 10 DTs and if it's about money they've been wasting it on him for multiple yrs.

What is your point? You were wrong. Own it until Lance proves us wrong. Lol
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Some posters owe you an apology.

Mandatory unblockings, lol.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by tankle104:

say it louder for the low resolution crowd.

This is facts. But this begs an obvious question: If we had (and still have) a "WIN NOW" roster, why on earth would you draft perhaps the rawest QB in league history that EVERYONE could see needed a few years of development?
lol you still dont get it. jesus f**king christ.

you don't plan your future around manipulating contracts. you have zero business experience huh?

Family owned a business my whole life. I was in business for 15 yrs so try again.

Every team plans around manipulating contracts in the future. It's a massive part of the business and is needed to remain under the cap every yr. Again go look at what Philly does.

my god dude, don't get so uptight. I said it wasn't all about the cash. You agreed. They had his contract in the books and planned around it for yrs. Like YOU said teams do lol.

no one is uptight. you make some really wild comments that seem not very well thought out.
This is facts. But this begs an obvious question: If we had (and still have) a "WIN NOW" roster, why on earth would you draft perhaps the rawest QB in league history that EVERYONE could see needed a few years of development?

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/04/adam-schefter-49ers-trey-lance-pro-ready/

Bad eval, arrogance, and perhaps some in the room were aware the fans were set to burn the team to the ground if Macaroni Jones was the pick.
Not participating in this toxicity.
[ Edited by WINiner on Aug 23, 2023 at 7:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
To be fair, they planned to give him the whole 2022 season but he got hurt.

how's that "fair" ? He got 31 passing attempts then made him split reps with Sam Darnold all camp.

Because Brock took his job. Pretty simple. The NFL isn't fair, sports isn't fair. This is seniority at Campbell's Soup. Lol

I think there is confusion about this. I don't think anyone expected Lance to start over Brock. But to not be the backup is surprising to me and obviously many fans feel the same.

Trey lose to Sam for the QB2 role and got upset. This is completely on Trey. His action doesn't sound like a team player at all. The team has treated him fairly.

If the story is true, and I am skeptical, then it is understandable Trey would be upset. I am sure he put 100% of himself into TC and it would be a devastating time for him. Despite what some people think these guys are human and his dream is falling apart before his eyes. I feel for him.

So, had Sam lost the QB2 role, you think it is normal for him to have to be dismissed from training for one day?

What about Oliver in he nickel position? DFF for the 3rd stack LB? TDP for the 3rd RB role?
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
If he lasts till Sunday I hope he lights it up n brings more value

Originally posted by WINiner:
Cause someone threw **** at the wall and it stuck one time?

It's a joke post my friend. Having some fun.

Wrong about what? Lance? All I ever said about him was I wanted him to have a legit chance to fail before saying he can't be good. 170 random passing attempts is far from saying he blows. That's all I ever said. I wanted him to play from day 1 so we can find out what was there and if he could improve.

I wants him to draft fields and that's been well documented in the draft thread and my final mock. He would have probably failed here as well.
no one is uptight. you make some really wild comments that seem not very well thought out.

Pot meet kettle lol

Because if he ended up being dynamic they would have been seen as passing on Mahomes and Mahomes 2.0, and that would have been far worse.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Wrong about what? Lance? All I ever said about him was I wanted him to have a legit chance to fail before saying he can't be good. 170 random passing attempts is far from saying he blows. That's all I ever said. I wanted him to play from day 1 so we can find out what was there and if he could improve.

I wants him to draft fields and that's been well documented in the draft thread and my final mock. He would have probably failed here as well.

He got his job took. He was given a chance to be the man, he got hurt
Share 49ersWebzone