Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 170 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by boast:
This is BS. Shanny has lied to the media before. Plus, the way he went after Darnold on day one of free agency lead many to conclude that the writing was on the wall for Lance from the very beginning. It would not surprise me for it to come out that Lance asked for a trade after acquiring Darnold. And give how Shanny has treated him I can't blame him.

yeah f**k Shanny for naming Trey the unquestionable starter going into 2022. f**k Shanny for breaking Trey's finger and his ankle. f**k Shanny!!!! amirite!

Now your being hyperbolic. My problem is that Shanny has totally mismanaged this whole QB situation, but people like you are acting like we're pulling stuff out of the sky. Shanny made his mind up about Lance at the end of last season. He had no real intention to develop Lance fully. I think he realized how much it was gonna really take to develop him and simply checked out. He proceeded to sign two absolute busts, and then made him "compete" with the one who proved - beyond a shadow of a doubt - in front of God and the whole world in 55 games he's a bonified bust. From my eye, Darnold didn't out-play Lance. From many reports from those who were at camp stated that Lance looked better than Darnold in practice.

Given that, Shanny's mind was already made up to move on from Lance a long time ago but was surprised at the real progress he'd made. When he said Darnold would split reps with Darnold I knew then that Lance had no chance, no matter the progress or how he looked in practice. If Shanny truly intended to develop Lance, he would have given all the reps to Lance and never subjected him to no "competition" with anyone for QB2 given what the 49ers spent to get him, period. Instead, to save face from their own evaluation ineptitudes, they allowed narratives that put all the fault with Lance to proliferate all throughout the media, even to the point where many sports commentators spewed personal insults at Lance. And because they don't have a press corps like in NY or Chicago, where Shanny would actually be asked the hard questions and not treated with kid gloves, they were allowed let Lance eat the blow-back of those narrative with no defense or pushback from Shanny, Lynch or any 49ers brass. He basically was hung out to dry. For me, this is most condemnable and damning.

No Sir, my beloved 49ers failed Trey Lance. I'll always pull for my 49ers, no matter who the QB is. But this team DID NOT get better today; we got worse with naming Darnold the number 2. I know Shanny said that he plans to play Lance tomorrow, but frankly what's the point for Lance? If I were Lance, I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to a football field until I got traded or released. There's absolutely no need for him to go out there and risk injury playing against future Home Depot workers trying desperately to make a team.

i dont agree it was mismanaged. i believe unfortunately timed injuries derailed the team's plan for Trey. he was given the team in 2022. got injured and then we all watched Brock's ascension.

You'll get no grip with me about Brock. He took full advantage of his opportunity and earned QB1. I think Lance even agreed with that. But QB2 should have NEVER been up for grabs. NEVER!! The guy had only 4 regular season starts. Lance had shown nothing at all to prove that any competition was even warranted, least of all with Sam Darnold. He didn't need competition. No, slit reps in a "competition" was nothing more than a ruse to hide the fact that Shanny had already made up his mind.

I use the word "mismanagement" to describe Shanny's handling of Lance because that's just what the hell it was - mismanaged! For starters, we should have never spent 3 years' worth of 1st rounders to move up to 3rd overall if he wasn't gonna be given the keys to the car at some point in 2021. (Has there ever been a QB drafted in the top 5 who sat out a year?) So the mismanagement started with drafting Trey Lance to begin with on a SB-ready team. Then, you don't develop him as a passer, choosing instead to run him on QB power when he really didn't do that at NDSU. This tells me the plan for him was questionable from the beginning. Next, you subject him to a QB2 "competition", a QB2 "competition" with a widely known, proven bust with 5 years, 55 games, and 55 interceptions worth of evidence that he's in fact a bust. By everyone's assessments, even Shanny and Lynch's, Lance needed reps. He didn't need spit reps. Then you leave him out to dry in the media, rendering the guy you mortgaged heavy draft future for, no defense or media pushback at all. Sports commentators were allowed to make personal attacks on him with no response from the 49ers. And to top it all off, the coming trade will likely be the worst in NFL history in terms of compensation and return of draft investment.

Good Sir, in what world is this NOT mismanagement?
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Trey is probably bangin Cowherds daughter tonight to work the stress off, and because of the takes Cowherd gave on him. haha

I like cowers a lot, I think he's pretty fair even though I disagree with how good he thinks Darnold did this training camp.

Me too, but I'd also bang his daughter. Shes quite attractive.

Might have to look her up!
Originally posted by JTB1974:
John Chapman was at the last game and said fans were getting restless when Kyle kept sending Darnold back out there. And the excitement picked up when Trey was brought in.

Well if he said it...

Guy signs for less than market value, performs well and wins a job... let's hate him!

Hopefully when this saga is over some of you come back to Earth.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
John Chapman was at the last game and said fans were getting restless when Kyle kept sending Darnold back out there. And the excitement picked up when Trey was brought in.

Well if he said it...

Guy signs for less than market value, performs well and wins a job... let's hate him!

Ain't nobody care that much
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Shemp:
Give credit to the front office for not trying to save face by putting Lance as QB2. They put him where they think he belongs, even if it makes them look really bad, and shines a spotlight on what truly is one of the worst draft trades in NFL history.

Yup I agree with that… it's a nice trait. Kyle could be right and he could be wrong but at least we know he's brave enough to make the decisions he think is right even with all the fan and media pressure.

It also means that they have Jed York's support. They took the risk, it was a really f******g bad decision, they will wipe their hands clean and try to go win a superbowl anyways. They know that York won't fire them over this issue, which allows them to make decisions without looking over their shoulders. York gets credit as well.
Trey is probably bangin Cowherds daughter tonight to work the stress off, and because of the takes Cowherd gave on him. haha

I like cowers a lot, I think he's pretty fair even though I disagree with how good he thinks Darnold did this training camp.

Me too, but I'd also bang his daughter. Shes quite attractive.

Might have to look her up!

Liv Cowherd, shes 22 so its all legal. lol
Well if he said it...

Or fans have seen enough of Sam Darnold over 6 years to know he is not a good QB. The guy has 55 INT's in 55 games. How the hell do you play that many games and average an INT per game. And this doesn't even include the fumbles which there are plenty of.
[ Edited by JTB1974 on Aug 23, 2023 at 8:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Some posters owe you an apology.

Mandatory unblockings, lol.

This lmao
Or fans have seen enough of Sam Darnold over 6 years to know he is not a good QB.

lol, that's not the premise for your suggestion for why he'd be boo'd is it?

Was he boo'd last game?
I won't be surprised if Darnold gets booed on Friday.

What a disgrace if that happens. Would be a shameful low point for this fan base, and that's saying a lot.

Well if he said it...

Or fans have seen enough of Sam Darnold over 6 years to know he is not a good QB.

I can picture that one day 2 or 3 years from now Trey Lance will join another team and their fans will have the same opinion of Trey as ours do for Sam. Except they'll say he had an all star team and Mike Shanahan… not the jets and the panthers
This is facts. But this begs an obvious question: If we had (and still have) a "WIN NOW" roster, why on earth would you draft perhaps the rawest QB in league history that EVERYONE could see needed a few years of development?

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/04/adam-schefter-49ers-trey-lance-pro-ready/

Bad eval, arrogance, and perhaps some in the room were aware the fans were set to burn the team to the ground if Macaroni Jones was the pick.

Fine, then why even bother moving up to get Lance then? If you didn't want Mac Jones, and wasn't gonna give the keys to Lance in year one after mortgaging draft future why not stay put and draft elsewhere? Where was Micah Parsons drafted again?
I can picture that one day 2 or 3 years from now Trey Lance will join another team and their fans will have the same opinion of Trey as ours do for Sam. Except they'll say he had an all star team and Mike Shanahan… not the jets and the panthers

Rat jr., not Sr!
. But QB2 should have NEVER been up for grabs. NEVER!!

What kind of fairytale b******t is this? All positions are always up for grabs. This isn't a charity.
Fine, then why even bother moving up to get Lance then? If you didn't want Mac Jones, and wasn't gonna give the keys to Lance in year one after mortgaging draft future why not stay put and draft elsewhere? Where was Micah Parsons drafted again?

They were out of their gourd? It was a big time mistake. Is what it is.
Share 49ersWebzone